All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: No Mans Sky
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:11 pm 
Captain
Captain

PBFMullethunter wrote:
MIDNIGHT wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:
I'll wait till 2017 when it's $4.99 on Steam.

Hookers? :-?

Too many diseases. Better to make a cucumpuss.

?

[**==] [**==] SomeGuy 2020 [**==] [**==]
[**==] [**==] It's going to be a [**==] [**==]
[**==] [**==] Brave New World [**==] [**==]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:04 am 
Colonel
Colonel

You mean you never...?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:21 am 
Captain
Captain

PBFMullethunter wrote:
You mean you never...?

Your word didn't google

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:18 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Does it imply hollowing out a cucumber ?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:54 pm 
Captain
Captain

francois-xavier c. wrote:
Does it imply hollowing out a cucumber ?

I'd need something bigger than a cucumber.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:59 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

So how is it. Is it worth it to purchase on PC?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:36 pm 
Major General
Major General

From what I've read it's ok at first but then gets samey, so pretty much what I think most of us thought it would be like. Also there seems to be some problem in seeing other human characters, in that you can't. I didn't actually think that was going to be in the game anyway, but there seems to be some annoyance at the lack of this.

It's only day two though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:25 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I like the idea of discovering new planets and stuff, but collecting herbs and zapping dinosaurs and stuff seems kinda dumb.

I don't think it's for me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:47 am 
Holyman
Holyman

'm actually feeling a little interested in this Game.

From what I can gather, it is *TECHNICALLY* multiplayer, but only in that players will be playing on the same (platform-specific) server.

The ( [X++X] ) Developers have stated that the Game isn't intended to be played co-operatively or PvP; but there will be the occasional chance visit to one of the 19 quintillion (19,000 trillion) planets that has been visited and explored previously by a human player... And traces of that previous visit will be noticeable.

...And that whilst it is of course possible for two (or more) human players to Teamspeak/TwitchTV there way to the same location on the same planet at the same time, this will not be encouraged by the dynamics of the Game (flight-time and/or benefits of co-operative or competitive play).

And this might explain why those two console players who managed a rendezvous weren't able to see each other, or evidence of each other's presence: because it isn't the point of the Game.

And as someone who has always been put off by the "M" and "M" in "MMORPG", this actually piques my interest... To be "Of" a Multiplayer Universe, but not noticeably "In" a Multiplayer Universe, sounds right up my strasse.

Add to this that I'm currently (and surprisingly) enjoying something of a renaissance playing Minecraft with Holyboy 2.0 (age 8) during his summer holiday; and actually finding the benefits of endless mining for rare ores quite meditative... (And obviously not minding the low-tech graphics of Minecraft...)

I think this might just be the Game for me.

Will give it a few months to settle down first though... Is always wise.

o:-)

"“A rising share of the goods that make today’s capitalist economies grow would not sell if people dreamed other dreams than they do—which makes understanding, developing and controlling their dreams a fundamental concern of political economy in advanced-capitalist society.”" - Wolfgang Streeck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:46 pm 
Major
Major

about 24 hours till pc release. I shall be posting impressions on Saturday :)

been looking forward to this game for the last 3 years.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:47 pm 
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

I downloaded the PS4 version on Wednesday and I've got about 6 hours of playing time.

So far, I've completed exploring 57% of the world I woke up on (exploration completion seems to be based on discovery of plants, animals, and outposts left by aliens). The planet is literally the size of a planet. Even flying fast, I doubt I've covered more than a couple percent of the actual ground (and maybe not that much).

I've traveled to one other planet and a space station. I've been "learning" the alien language, so they like me now and a friendly alien gave me a better multi-tool (combination mining tool, gun, and scanner). I'm enjoying exploring just this first planet enough that I haven't even bothered to build a hyperdrive to fly to the next star and I'm not sure how many planets are in this solar system. I am looking forward to finding a planet that isn't being bombarded by hard radiation so that I don't need to constantly recharge my space suit.

If you enjoy Minecraft, you are likely to enjoy this game. I've seen this described as a "survival game", but I haven't died yet.

I was worried about the game being "a mile wide and an inch deep", but so far I find playing it very relaxing and I'm enjoying naming the wildlife after current and former pets. I think on the next planet I visit that has animals I'll name them after you guys.

Things that I hope they add/patch in the future:
- A compass - I would like to know which way I am going when walking or flying
- A map - I would like to know where I've been
- A tech tree/crafting chart - crafting some things is anything but intuitive

Unfortunately, I am travelling this weekend so I won't be able to waste two days on the couch with this game.

~ All nuns everywhere

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:10 pm 
Major
Major

A couple of things i have yet to see people do in NMS are...

Fly towards a sun
Dig as deep as possible toward the center of the planet

Those are two things I am going to do almost immediately once I get the game.

On a side note...

I am pretty irritated at the fact that Sean Murray (creator of NMS) is dodging ALOT of concerning questions about the game. The fact that he claimed on national television that people will be able to run across each other on the same planet, yet a day after release when two people managed to do just that, they were in two separate instances of the game.

Also, he has yet to directly address the fact that he has said it was multiplayer, and has not tried to downplay it since a few days before launch.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:13 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

From what little I had read I thought this was a multI player thing. I've got no time for something like that...but something like this where I could just take my time and chill...hmm

Wonder if my rig will play it.

belonged to someone yesterday
and will be someone else’s tomorrow

Change is the Law of The Universe

-------------------------------------------------

“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:21 pm 
Major
Major

tgrant wrote:
From what little I had read I thought this was a multI player thing. I've got no time for something like that...but something like this where I could just take my time and chill...hmm

Wonder if my rig will play it.

with a $60 pricetag, id recommend waiting for a sale unless you're hyped about space sim games. Murray was right about peoples reactions to the games. It is very divisive. A lot of people love it, but also a great number of people hate it.

It is apparently now regarded as a MP experience in that you can see other players discoveries, but I don't think Sean Murray was actually expecting people to find each other the day after the game launched. He acknowledged the event on twitter, but did not address the fact that they couldn't actually see each other.

In regards to specs, the steam page only lists minimum..

MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel Core i3
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: nVidia GTX 480, AMD Radeon 7870
Storage: 10 GB available space

It's kinda odd that they don't have a recommended specs. but I guess it doesn't matter.

The console version has terrible FOV problems that is apparently causing some players to have motion sickness. The PC version at least will have a slider (thank god) otherwise I would probably not want to play it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:08 pm 
Captain
Captain

What ST will find at the center of the No Mans Sky Universe...

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:34 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Holyman wrote:
one of the 19 quintillion (19,000 trillion) planets

You're slipping.

Anyway, I'll check this out next year. $60 too risky for something I might detest.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:09 pm 
Captain
Captain

PBFMullethunter wrote:
Holyman wrote:

You're slipping.

Anyway, I'll check this out next year. $60 too risky for something I might detest.

I agree. Since it's just single player you won't be missing anything playing in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:30 am 
Holyman
Holyman

PBFMullethunter wrote:
Holyman wrote:

You're slipping.

Oh yes. Ooops...

1,000 trillion = 1 quadrillion

1,000 quadrillion = 1 quintillion.

19 million trillion planets then..!

Should keep me busy.

(:|

"“A rising share of the goods that make today’s capitalist economies grow would not sell if people dreamed other dreams than they do—which makes understanding, developing and controlling their dreams a fundamental concern of political economy in advanced-capitalist society.”" - Wolfgang Streeck

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:36 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Will probably pick it up for over the winter when I go into hibernation. Maybe around Novemberish. Unless between now and then I hear it's shit. If it's just the same kinda missions on sorta the same kind of planets then no thanks.

belonged to someone yesterday
and will be someone else’s tomorrow

Change is the Law of The Universe

-------------------------------------------------

“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:07 pm 
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

I did the math. If I can visit one planet per second, I'll be able to see all the planets in a touch over 600 million years. Best get busy.

~ All nuns everywhere

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:26 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Just announced that it will have 4K support for PC. Noice:

Screenshots:
Images are too large so I placed them in here:
info:http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/no-mans-sky-pc-graphics-settings-4k-screenshots

silent wrote:
...with a $60 pricetag, id recommend waiting for a sale unless you're hyped about space sim games. ...

I think I will get it when I see it in the $35-$40 price range even if I have to wait a while.
Been watching gameplay on it, I guess the color scheme is growing on me. Too bad there is no real form of some kind of multiplayer. Be it at least Co-Op play.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:22 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Latest review from Steam. Pretty much backs up what I said. This game is a scam.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"This is a overhyped indie game made by 15 people, being sold for AAA price. It's poorly optimized. It's shallow, empty, repetitive and boring. Their 18 quinquillion planets are just a bunch of re-color of the same assets, randomly generated with different combinations. Their representation of the universe is inaccurate, every single planet is inhabited with life and/or vegetation, there are no gas giants, no ring systems, no barren planets, black holes are portals, and no variation of star types. But i'm not here to talk about that stuff you can easily confirm by watching some gameplay.

What i really want to talk about is how they straight out lied about it being multiplayer. The problem is not the fact that you can't see or interact and play together with other people, it's the fact that they said it was possible and it isn't. I'm perfectly fine with the game not having multiplayer, i play single-player games and i enjoy them. What i have a problem with, is they straight out lied about it being multiplayer, that is unacceptable, a game developer cannot do that and get away with it.

I am sick of these vague as f*ck tweets from Sean Murray implying something but not stating it clearly. It's just a series of shady moves they make over and over again, careful choice of words leaving multiple interpretations, misleading disinformation. They actually covered with a sticker the multiplayer icon from the PEGI score on the Limited Edition box. A few months ago the game had the Massively Multiplayer Online tag on Steam, only recently they changed it to Single-Player. After years of clearly stating that it was multiplayer, ONE DAY BEFORE the PS4 launch, they tweet that the game is not ''a multiplayer experience''.

Sean Murray specifically said on interviews you could see and interact with other players, and play together. Then on the first day it has been confirmed by two streamers that tried to meet up, they were in the same system, same planet, same spot, and couldn't see each other, for one of them it was day time, for the other one it was night time. And the kicker? Hello Games are celebrating that ‘’two players encountered each other’’. How can they be so deceitful?

If you're looking for a good exploration sandbox game, get Subnautica. A indie game with a indie game price. 92% overall positive reviews. Has survival mechanics, crafting mechanics, building mechanics. Better graphics and better optimized.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:58 am 
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

I was just attacked by an animal that weighs 90kg and has a 1m wingspan. No game has made me laugh so hard in a long time.

The planet I am on has the most bizarre animals I've ever seen. Half bird, half elk? Sure, why not? If I hadn't already named this planet, I would have named it The Beagle's Nightmare.

~ All nuns everywhere

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:02 am 
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

El Sid wrote:
Latest review from Steam. Pretty much backs up what I said. This game is a scam.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"This is a overhyped indie game made by 15 people, being sold for AAA price. It's poorly optimized. It's shallow, empty, repetitive and boring. Their 18 quinquillion planets are just a bunch of re-color of the same assets, randomly generated with different combinations. Their representation of the universe is inaccurate, every single planet is inhabited with life and/or vegetation, there are no gas giants, no ring systems, no barren planets, black holes are portals, and no variation of star types. But i'm not here to talk about that stuff you can easily confirm by watching some gameplay.

What i really want to talk about is how they straight out lied about it being multiplayer. The problem is not the fact that you can't see or interact and play together with other people, it's the fact that they said it was possible and it isn't. I'm perfectly fine with the game not having multiplayer, i play single-player games and i enjoy them. What i have a problem with, is they straight out lied about it being multiplayer, that is unacceptable, a game developer cannot do that and get away with it.

I am sick of these vague as f*ck tweets from Sean Murray implying something but not stating it clearly. It's just a series of shady moves they make over and over again, careful choice of words leaving multiple interpretations, misleading disinformation. They actually covered with a sticker the multiplayer icon from the PEGI score on the Limited Edition box. A few months ago the game had the Massively Multiplayer Online tag on Steam, only recently they changed it to Single-Player. After years of clearly stating that it was multiplayer, ONE DAY BEFORE the PS4 launch, they tweet that the game is not ''a multiplayer experience''.

Sean Murray specifically said on interviews you could see and interact with other players, and play together. Then on the first day it has been confirmed by two streamers that tried to meet up, they were in the same system, same planet, same spot, and couldn't see each other, for one of them it was day time, for the other one it was night time. And the kicker? Hello Games are celebrating that ‘’two players encountered each other’’. How can they be so deceitful?

If you're looking for a good exploration sandbox game, get Subnautica. A indie game with a indie game price. 92% overall positive reviews. Has survival mechanics, crafting mechanics, building mechanics. Better graphics and better optimized.

Relax. It's a video game. What good would a gas giant do? I've only made to my second solar system, and I've only visited 5 planets, but they are actually pretty diverse.

So far, I'm having fun.

YMMD

~ All nuns everywhere

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:53 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

The Great Fucking Walnut wrote:

Relax. It's a video game.

Yeah, I know and that's fair enough; it's never pretended to be a simulator. Plus, as HM says, there's almost a a Zen like quality to it.

The Great Fucking Walnut wrote:
What good would a gas giant do? I've only made to my second solar system, and I've only visited 5 planets, but they are actually pretty diverse.

So far, I'm having fun.

YMMD

Well, fun is what it's for, so that's good.

To be honest I was kinda hoping for more realism though. Just our solar system looks better than anything I've seen on NMS screenshots so far.

Take a gas giant, as you mentioned. The planet itself would not be mine-able on a surface, but the atmosphere could have life forms, like giant zeppelin jellyfish. Also it would, like Jupiter, look fantastic, especially from an orbiting moon...which could be mined. Take little Io, it has weird volcanoes due to tidal currents from Jupiter that produce plumes of sulphur over 500 km high.

That was the sorts of things I was hoping for. Not a cartoonish galaxy where every planet or moon has life.

No matter though, because it is just a game as you say. :)