It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:23 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 603 posts ]  Go to page Previous 119 20 21 22 2325 Next
 Post subject: Re: World of Tanks
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:46 pm 
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

It's clear that the Commie devs have it in for the Germans in this game. My PzIII has camo netting/periscopes/camo paint and when I am stationary, I still get outspotted by tanks which are moving. That just screams bullshit to me.

On the other hand, I have found that the PzIII/IV is capable of taking a pounding. I have survived rounds where the tank has taken 8+ hits. The flip side of that is, I have had TDs blow the same tank to bits with one shot (which I suppose is realistic/possible).

I think I mentioned that I have unlocked the KV medium tank. I just don't have the 850K to buy the thing and I've been upgrading the PzIII and PzIII/IV instead of saving credits. Also, my PzIII crew is about 65% of the way to their first perks and my PzIII/IV crew is at 96% of reaching qualification, so I am torn about starting a completely new tank.

I am thinking of unlocking the German TD tree as the StuGIII seems to be pretty badass.

~ All nuns everywhere

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:38 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I'm tempted to try German tanks just to see what all the fuss is about.

US tanks aren't pretty, but there are two words to describe why they are awesome; hull down. They generally have great gun depression and it's easy to use ridge lines and terrain breaks to hull down and keep the majority of your tank out of the enemy's sights.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:24 pm 
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

I mostly use German tanks, and they take some getting used to. They're generally fragile as all hell until you get into the higher tiers (8 and above), with a few exceptions, like the Hetzer, at lower tiers.

Most of their guns are shit, but they're accurate, and the good guns they have are high pen, low damage, decent RoF, so they're ideal for sniping and maneuvering, since a missed shot isn't a huge deal. However, due to low damage and only average DPM, they're really not good at getting in close, soviet tanks will ass rape them at close range, as will most US tanks. French tanks are so lightly armoured that you don't really benefit from high pen, as a well-thrown brick will penetrate them, and the Brits are too new for me to have a real judgement on them.

Also, German tanks are really easy to immobilize, as most of them have an "engine" hitbox in the front, and they have the second largest ammo racks after the Chinese premium tanks, so expect to lose your ammo rack and engine.

As a general rule, you don't want to get shot at, and you want to stay behind other "brawler" tanks, and be very opportunistic, as most German tanks have pretty good mobility, and can exploit weak spots more readily than other, less accurate tanks. I've killed T9 and 10 tanks with my Tiger because I can reliably hit viewslots, periscopes, and all manner of little weaknesses in otherwise impenetrable armour. I get accused of using gold rounds all the time with it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:24 pm 
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

So, does hitting view slots, etc. really work? I have seen (my) post-mortem view of tanks that I was dueling with and some of the marks my shots have left on them really look like they should have penetrated (I get a shit ton of ricochets), particulary glacis plate/shot trap hits and track hits.

~ All nuns everywhere

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:12 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

The Great Fucking Walnut wrote:
So, does hitting view slots, etc. really work? I have seen (my) post-mortem view of tanks that I was dueling with and some of the marks my shots have left on them really look like they should have penetrated (I get a shit ton of ricochets), particulary glacis plate/shot trap hits and track hits.

All the leet players aim for weak spots, which vary from tank to tank. Things like ammo racks or gearboxes etc. They are the easier parts to hit. But other parts, although smaller, are very damaging, especially the commander's cupola.

Other things like view ports, machine gun openings and hatches are good to hit, if you have the accuracy and time to wait for the hit reticle to shrink on target.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:19 pm 
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Well, with the weak ass guns I have at my disposal, 90% of my shots are carefully aimed although with most tanks that are 2 or 3 tiers above me I'll shoot at tracks to try and immobilize the vehicle so that arty can take it out.

Just that sometimes the damage dealt seems somewhat arbitrary.

EDIT: I will freely admit that I do not know the weak spots of specific tanks. Strong points are generally easy to determine. ;) Shit, I can hardly tell most of the American tanks and tank destroyers apart most of the time.

~ All nuns everywhere

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:24 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

View ports, crew hatches, cuploas and machine gun mounts all tend to be very squishy. If you are faced with a tank you can't pen, throw HE rounds at view ports or hatches and you very well may kill a crew member.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:13 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Actually going in to play about now, not that there's a chance in Hell I'll see anyone I recognize.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:14 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Ok I'll bite. I've been drinking and watching test cricket so I'll prolly suck.

Watcha WoT name again?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:51 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Guess you figured it out.

The USA and the Aussies and wherever the fuck GFW is from, I don't remember, duking it out together once again against the Germans...and the Russians, and the Brits, and the USA, and the Chinese(?).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:55 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

[CAT]CplSlade wrote:
Guess you figured it out.

The USA and the Aussies and wherever the fuck GFW is from, I don't remember, duking it out together once again against the Germans...and the Russians, and the Brits, and the USA, and the Chinese(?).

Awesome fun. Although, as promised, I sucked. Must practice up during the week and get back teh skilz.

Also work out how to talk to team or platoon. Maybe also VOIP or team-squeak?

Whatever, I enjoyed that heaps. Of course, I'd have enjoyed it more if Slade and Walnut hadn't been such a pair of faggy losers; Jesus, all the scrapes I had to haul them out of.

And did I get any thanks? ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:46 pm 
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Thanks Sid!!

That was fun. I'll have to find my mic. Almost no chance I'll be able to comprehend you with that outlandish accent though.

Thanks to you also Slade. I'm near Seattle, btw.

I'll spend the week acquiring a higher tier tank.

~ All nuns everywhere

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:14 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Apparently fucking with MM makes people angry.

Sid and I capturing the flag while the rest of the team pounds it:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:48 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Good times. :-bd [X*****] [**==]

I envy your ping, Slade. Mine runs at around 280ms.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:36 pm 
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Why does your HUD look so much different than mine?
Prolly a noob ? But I've been playing exactly 13 days.

~ All nuns everywhere

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:44 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Why does your HUD look so much different than mine?
Prolly a noob ? But I've been playing exactly 13 days.

Not sure about Slade's, but you can install custom mods for things like HUD and sniper mode.

I have custom camo for my tanks that only I can see for example. I used to have game side camo for my Pz IV and Tiger but the bastards stole it in the latest upgrade.

Edit: Oh and for platoon chat, press enter to go into chat mode then use tab to cycle between team, all and platoon.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:27 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

I'll just so "okay" to all of the above and be done with it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:37 am 
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

[CAT]CplSlade wrote:

What does that mean? "Fucking with MM"?

Anyway, this has got to be a record for a PzIII/IV. Survived 20 hits.

~ All nuns everywhere

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:51 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

I think when I play a tier 2 while you two play much higher, then it forces the program that creates the matches to include tiers it would normally exclude.

Normally my Pz II doesn't see KV-1S's, since I can't pen them anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:17 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

[CAT]CplSlade wrote:

What does that mean? "Fucking with MM"?

Anyway, this has got to be a record for a PzIII/IV. Survived 20 hits.

Yeah a few guys were pissed of having us show up with a lower tier tank than normal. Makes winning that much harder. Who cares, at least we aren't five year olds playing daddy's account and tried to do our best.

Btw, 20 hits is pretty good for a PzIII/IV, I gotta say.

I was cranky in the match where I rolled out the Tiger II and got creamed in just two hits, still don't know what got me. I've had quite a few steel walls in that tank, 14 in all; 27 hits I think was the most I survived.

Meh, just rusty I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:52 am 
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Well, really not much reason to play anymore after this round. I can't imagine that I'll ever do better.
Managed to get at least one round on almost the entire other team.

In a round shortly after this, I took out 3 enemy tanks in about 20 seconds with my PzIII. Took out 6 in total. Very lucky round as I was down to about 20 HP and my motor was fucked up.

~ All nuns everywhere

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:11 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Congrats Walnut, it's magic rounds like that that make the game. You sure have got the hang of WoT tanks quickly. =D>

Despite having good rounds in tier 8 and 9 tanks (six kills on a few occasions) my best memory was playing one match in the god-awful tier 4 PzKpfw 38nA...7 kills and a victory, all done with just one other guy after we lost the rest of our bumfuck team early on.

I felt twelve feet tall after that match.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:39 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I haven't played a whole lot of this lately. I've run out of steam in terms of grinding away at tier 8. Tier 8 is fucking awful. You either get stuck in a tier 8 game full of Lowes, T34s and other premium tanks driven by fools who have no idea how to use them, or you're in a tier 10 game throwing pebbles at IS-7s and Mausen. Tier eight is utterly fucking awful, even if I do like both of the tanks I have at that level. I've taken a bit of time off and then I'm going to go back and play my fun tanks for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:54 pm 
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Thanks Sid. TBH though, with the number of hours I have in Panzer Commander and Steel Beasts, this game doesn't feel "new" and for the most part, isn't all that difficult. Steel Beasts had a very steep learning curve and pretty good enemy AI.

The one thing I really dislike about this game is the shitty angle of depression the German tanks have. Getting into a decent hull down position is a fucking nightmare.

~ All nuns everywhere

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:04 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

German tanks and Russian tanks both have middling to outright shitty gun depression. US tanks are marvelous for hull down tactics. I really love my M26 Pershing and I'm considering giving US heavies a go. I tried Soviet heavies, but I'm not a good brawler. Part of the problem is that my computer is shit and I lose frames in close up brawls and dogfights. I'm building a new rig after New Years, hopefully that will make a difference.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 603 posts ]  Go to page Previous 119 20 21 22 2325 Next