It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:05 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: World of Tanks
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:33 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Anyone on here playing this?

http://worldoftanks.com/

I got suckered in by the fact that it's free to play, and now I'm hopelessly addicted. It's MMO stylee tank/artillery battles, and you earn credits and XP to research better gear for your tank and ultimately research better tanks. I find myself logging in whenever I have a spare 15 minutes. I'm trying to hoard enough cash and XP for a T-34 at this point.

Post subject: Re: World of Tanks
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:40 pm 
Major General
Major General

IIRC there was a PBF'er that played it. Major Stoffer maybe. He seemed to play most games.

I'm not sure I need another time-sink in my life right now. I struggle to play a round of BF3 most weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:01 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

The game itself isn't that much of a life suck, you can pop in and play 2-3 games in a half hour.

It's cutting off after a half hour that's the hard part. Hmmm yeah, so I guess it does have life suck potential. Since I work from home, I've taken to using the last 60-90 minutes of every workday to get in some WoT.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:19 pm 
Major General
Major General

How noob friendly is it?

I fuckin hate getting pummeled at any game. I have a fragile ego you see and getting whipped by some spotty faced ubernerd who has been whoring the game for months can damage it fairly easily. I need a game I can at least have a modicum of success at immediately.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:25 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

The learning curve can be a little steep, but for a while you're just playing among other n00bz.

I got really fed up in the beginning because I kept dying and couldn't figure out why. Turns out I was ignorant to the fact that there are self-propelled artillery guns that get a top down view of the map and can shell you from outside your line of sight.

All of the tanks, tank destroyers and guns are assigned a tier. My little BT-7 light tank is a tier III, so I get matched up with tier II, III, IV and occasionally V. It at least keeps the equipment on a level playing field, for the most part.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:55 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Yup this one nabbed me hook, line and sinker since October. I'm on there as Leady07 and have all the tier 10's except the T110 so far. Fun game but getting into the clan wars had definitely burnt me out. I'm currently beta testing World of Warplanes as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:24 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Im tempted to give this a go....will have a look shortly.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:33 pm 
Major General
Major General

Ingerland are on tonight so won't be looking till Wednesday but yeah, I might give it a look. Always really enjoyed the tank heavy maps in BF1942. Probably cos I was stupendously good as a tanker.

But then I was stupendously good at all aspects of that game.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:19 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tier 10! That seems so far away. I'm plugging away like mad just to get a single Tier 4!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:51 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Buying premium definitely helps and if you can spare the coin using gold to convert freexp saves you tons of time. I rarely buy a new tank stock these days, I'll save up enough freexp to have it fully upgraded out of the box. Makes the grind that much more enjoyable. I think I have about 26 tanks in my garage at the moment, buying garage slots during sales is a must if you want to have a good collection built up. I'm primarily running my panther 2, E100, Maus, Amx 50B, Patton, T-50-2, Object 261 arty, IS-7, IS-4 and IS-8 these days.

Let me know what line you're grinding and I can give you some tips.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:07 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I've just kind of gone at it willy-nilly to this point. I had someone suggest the BT-2 as a good early tank, so I've gone down that line and am grinding toward an A-20 at the moment. I've also messed around with an Su-18 SPG, but I have no idea what direction to go in, really. As a history buff, I was drawn towards the T-34, but I have no idea if it's actually worth it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:09 pm 
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

I play it now and then, but the game becomes a lot more frustrating in higher tiers, as you will actually lose money and progress when you lose a match, and balance issues become much more pronounced.

It's still probably the best F2P title out there, but the most "fun" you'll have is Tier 6 and lower. I think my Pz38(t) is my favourite tank; running around in t2-5 battles can be a lot of fun. The gap in performance is a lot smaller there than say, T6-10 battles, and you're running a T6 or underperforming 7, and will simply die, accomplishing nothing.

World of Warplanes, an aerial version of the game is about to enter closed beta, and has some promising elements, but I've never been a huge flight jokey. World of Battleships however; a naval version, is much more my cup of tea. Doesn't matter how poorly balanced it is, I will get my Kongo Class battlecruiser god damnit!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:50 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

I'm gonna go through World of Battleships like shit through a goose until I get my hands on a Missouri class battleship..... Then I shall be sporting the perma-wood.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:34 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I'm getting ms ass handed to me here. Any tips for a new booty ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:43 am 
Major General
Major General

B055H0GG wrote:
I'm getting ms ass handed to me here. Any tips for a new booty ?

LOL. This puts me off...

Dick/Leady, when you gonna be on? I need someone to hold my hand! Can I just park my baby tank between the tracks of yours?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:00 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

My gaming nights are usually Wednesday and Saturday nights.

You will get your ass handed to you for a little while, but as long as you learn from it instead of raging, the butthurt is only temporary. They break you in easy, giving you a little tier 1 tin can and playing against other 1's and 2's.

At first, I couldn't hit another tank to save my life, but that was before I learned that it takes a little while for your gunner to aim. Wait for the aiming circle to close before you fire. Also, get used to finding cover in trees, bushes, next to rocks...make it hard for the arty to find you. be very careful about knocking trees down, however. Even if you are out of the enemy's range of sight, they can see trees falling.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:22 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

You play this live with your buds and enemies? Like BF for instance?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:24 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

You certainly can. You can link a group of players in game as platoons or companies.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:31 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Leady's Tips for making the other dumb bastard die for his country instead of you;

These are basic tank tactics that every driver should use on the battlefield.

Don't knock down trees! It gives the enemy your location even if they can't see your tank.

Use the terrain to your advantage. "Fire from Cover" or "Fire and Cover". Find solid cover, such as a building, rock, hill or tank corpse. Duck out to fire, then pull back behind cover while reloading. This way you can deal damage and be protected while you reload.

Use the terrain to your advantage. You can protect yourself while still returning fire from a "hull down" position using a hill or ridge. This means the hull of your tank is below the ridge line and only your turret is exposed. Duck out to fire, then pull back behind cover while reloading. Note that this is the preferred strategy for American tanks which are designed with better-than-average turret armor for the price of less-than-average hull armor.

Don't expose yourself to multiple targets. This can mean anything from using cover to confront one enemy at a time to avoiding obvious choke points on the map.

Tanks cresting a ridge are particularly vulnerable. They expose the weak underside of their glacis plate without being able to return fire. Tracking (destroying the tracks of) high priority tanks when they're atop the ridge allows allies to shoot them when they're exposed and helpless to retreat.

Firing from a high ridge can be risky by exposing your underside to fire, but can pay off big by hitting the soft topside of tanks.

Flank your enemy's weak sides and rear, especially against slower targets.Tanks have heavy armor up front, lighter armor on the sides and are weakest in the rear. A quick medium tank may be able to outmatch a stronger heavy tank by simply outmaneuvering it and firing at its weakest points while avoiding its slowly rotating turret. This is particularly effective in one-on-one combat on open ground where there's little cover.

Don't allow yourself to be flanked - one-on-one. When engaging a single enemy that's trying to flank you, continue to turn and face him while reversing. This will force him to make a wider turn than you, exposing his weaker side armor while he must penetrate your thick front armor.

Don't allow yourself to be flanked - multiple targets / forward threat (more common). When multiple enemies are attempting to flank you or you're about to be flanked while there's the threat of enemy fire from forward your position, simply reverse, keeping your front armor facing the most serious threat (whether that be one of the flanking tanks or a sniping tank directly in front). This will delay the enemy from flanking your rear, allowing you to get shots off in the mean time. Remember to concentrate your damage on one target until it's dead or you are.

By tracking your enemy, you'll stop them in their tracks. Tracking, or destroying the tracks, renders a tank immobile until the crew is able to repair it. You can track a tank by ramming it (dependent on the speed and weight of the "rammer" and "ramee") or firing upon the tracks. Tracking high priority targets in the open will make them vulnerable to artillery fire. If you have teammates behind you in a lane (like on a city map) and a tank pops out from a building/street in front of you...track it! Every tank sitting behind you can get a free shot, re-track it, and hopefully kill it before it can get behind cover again.

Attacking tank destroyers from the front can mean certain death due to their sloped armor and powerful forward-locked gun, but their weak side and rear armor and inability to shoot in any direction but forward means tracking them and maneuvering around them can make for an easy kill.

Your odds of survival increase when sticking together. Except for certain circumstances, supporting one another in groups is preferable to going rogue and venturing out by yourself. When you're together, you can deal more damage and spread the damage dealt, attacking and defending more effectively. This can mean staying together even if you don't agree with the strategy--a coordinated bad plan has a higher chance of success than an uncoordinated bad plan. What this doesn't mean is cluster en masse--when the majority of your team takes one route, it exposes other flanks, giving a coordinated enemy an easy victory.

Destroy one at a time. Targeting one enemy at a time until they're destroyed is better than targeting multiple tanks simultaneously, as it quickly removes that tank and its ability to deal damage, where as a half-damaged tank can still deal full damage. - (Focus or Concentrate Fire)

Prioritize your targets. Know yourself. Are you a heavy tank, a medium tank, a TD? For example, as a heavy tank, you shouldn't waste time firing upon an "easy kill" when there's a more prevalent threat, such as an enemy heavy behind cover waiting to duck out and fire. Just the same, as a medium tank, don't waste your fire on targets you know you can't penetrate, go for the softer ones to support your heavies. An exception to this is when the "easy kill" target is scouting your position for enemy artillery or a heavy target is about to capture your base--in both cases, the tank has just become a bigger threat and primary target. (Calling a Primary)

Use more armored friendlies as cover to avoid fire, especially when supporting heavy tanks against enemy heavies. Stay alive so you can continue to dish out damage and support your team. Be aware of their intentions and don't block their path to retreat behind cover.
Don't be predictable, it's easy to counter.

Fire ahead of fast moving targets. In World of Tanks, once fired, shots take an arcing path (gravity exists but the aiming reticle accounts for the shell drop from gravity, so aim for what you want to hit) over a certain time (dependent on distance). This delay means you must aim a certain distance in front of the target's path depending on the target's speed and distance from you--called the Angle of Deflection. If calculated properly, the shell will reach its target just as the enemy drives into your line of fire.
Shell Speed and tank speed are a relatively small factor in the equation to lead a tank. But your Lag is a much bigger factor when firing at a rapidly moving tank.
Don't be afraid to run away. If your strategy is failing or you're against impossible odds, instead of suicide rushing toward the enemy, retreat, regroup and change your strategy.

Slant your armor to decrease the angle of impact. Slanting your tank (30-40 degrees) toward an enemy will decrease the angle of impact and improve the chances the round will fail to [penetrate] (ricochet). Be aware, this can increase your angle of impact for an enemy to the far right or far left forward your position, which is why it's best used in tighter spaces or one-on-one combat.

Continue to coordinate your attack as events develop. In the example above, as the two enemy heavy tanks are distracted, medium tanks take a flank position. Split into groups and work together to overpower the enemy in a coordinated effort. Use cover, camouflage, terrain and the abilities of the tanks at hand to your advantage.

Keep it moving on open terrain. Exposed , a sitting tank is a soon-to-be-dead tank. Slow or stop, quickly aim and fire, then continue to take up a better position against the enemy while reloading. If you stand still, you'll be easy prey for enemy tanks and artillery.

Hug the edge while rounding cover to expose yourself to as little enemy fire as possible. In areas where tanks will build up on opposite sides of a ridge, running out into the open is certain death. If you're unable to help duke it out while rounding the ridge, try changing your tactics and taking a different route.

Beware enemy baiting tactics and learn how to use them to your advantage. You may get more than you bargained for by cresting a ridge or moving through a choke point to get to a tasty kill. Know how to spot obvious baiting, note enemy behavior and the map for potential sniper locations.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:43 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Some other things to consider;

- Unless you're close enough to stick your barrel in his ear let the reticle close before firing.

- If you're "in the phonebooth" with your target do not zoom in, fire into his sides/tracks/engine/back of turret and keep circling.

- AP AP AP.....the only time you use HE in this game is if you're using a derp (152mm on the KV-2 for instance) or if you're unable to penetrate a higher tiers armor.

- If you run into Gollith kick the shit outta his knees (track higher tier tanks to freeze them in place and let your arty/high tiers deal with him).

- Learn the weakspots, I'd suggest downloading one of the skin packs that will help you learn the weakspots to start. Normally driver viewports and turret cupolas are meat from the front, anywhere in the tracks from the side or the back of turrets, engine bays.

- Of the current lines the Russian and German are the easiest to move up for beginners. The French line is utter shit until tier 7 and the US is up and down dependant on tier.

- Tier 5's like the sherman and panzer IV are good credit makers for their tier if you don't want to buy premium. At the higher tiers it's almost required due to the higher cost of ammo and repairs.

- Don't waste your money on gold consumables or ammo, that shit is for clan wars only and is a waste of funds you could be using elsewhere.

- If you like the game buy yourself a premium Tier 8 tank like the Lowe or T34 (T-59 if they put it back in the store again) as these are rolling ATM machines that print money.

- Remember to use 3rd person view when sitting in or behind a bush. If even an inch of your track or body is poking through then you receive no camo bonus.

- Once you fire your camo bonus disappears for 1-3 seconds so don't blast away randomly or you'll be lit up like a christmas tree.

- If you're getting shot at by someone you cannot see that means you've been spotted and are taking fire from a tank further back using their relayed spot. Pull back and/or find hard cover.

- Do not use repair kits/med kits etc until Tier 4/5. The cost of using them will zap any gain you get from a victory and cost you in a defeat.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:45 pm 
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

MajorStoffer wrote:
World of Battleships however; a naval version, is much more my cup of tea. Doesn't matter how poorly balanced it is, I will get my Kongo Class battlecruiser god damnit!

^ This. Interests me.

I wish I actually had some free time to play a fucking game. As it is, I am lucky if I get to play BF3 once during the week.

~ All nuns everywhere

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:27 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Thanks for the info, Leady! I can't wait to put some of this to use.

My main problem with firing from cover is that it takes the reticle so long to close once I pop out from cover that I'm exposed for a couple of seconds before I fire. Am I doing something wrong, or do I just have to deal with it until my crew is experienced enough to aim faster?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:23 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Yeah there's a massive difference between a stock 50% crew and a 100% crew. Added to that are the crew skills which can improve a tanks performance significantly. When I knew I was serious about the game the best thing you can do is get your crew to 100% and transfer them to the next tier tank so you can keep building up their experience.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:46 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Appreciate the tactics and what not, You did an excellent job sir! But being the noob at this that I am, I'm still trying to figure out the basics.

On now, gonna get raped.....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:41 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Whoa, now the new patch gives us new game modes to learn!