It is currently Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:17 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Red Dead Redemption 2
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:32 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

I don't come here very often, much less start a thread, but was surprised not to find an RDR2 thread.

Anyhoo...

I finally took the plunge and bought it after 2 years (£37 on Epic Games sale).

Not disappointed.

It took a few hours of playing to get to grips with it, 'cos there's lots to be getting on with that isn't in your typical First Person RPG (e.g. Skyrim); but not as much of a stretch as Assassin's Creed (on PC).

Happy to report that it lives up to the hype. It's like being in your own Western film.

I'm still only on Chapter 2 (have to balance Game Time with mastering the Rubik's Cube), but totally hooked.

Just hoping I get my second round of Coronavirus money approved, otherwise work might get in the way...

[-O<

“Liberalism considered it proper for a capitalist to say to a worker, ‘You shall die of hunger,’ but improper for a worker to retort, ‘You shall die first, of a bullet. […] It is ridiculous to make a distinction between these two threats.” - Bertrand Russell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:47 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Not that Id care, but sounds dear for a two year old game.

I'll check a YouTube.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:08 pm 
Sergeant First-Class
Sergeant First-Class

I'm playing it now for the first time and also on chapter 2. Absolutely recommend it. I can see this game taking a long time to finish if I were to go for 100%.

I like how while riding around there are random people who want stuff. Some genuinely need help while others are trying to rob you. There was this guy who gave me a sob story and asked for a ride to town. I hopped off my horse and he immediately hopped on and took off. I shot him in the back.

Some advice:
While at your wagon in base camp, save a warm weather outfit and a cold weather outfit to your horse. You can change outfits while sitting on your horse.

Your hat is easy to lose when it gets knocked off your head. Just change outfits to magically get it back.

There is a wild white Arabian horse with great stats on the west shore of Lake Isabella. After breaking it you can change to this horse and whistle for your old horse to follow you to a stable.

Since you are in chapter 2, there is a mission with Hosea that will unlock a fence where you can sell stolen goods.

West of Flatneck Station there is a guy on a hill named Maximo. You can talk him into selling you a treasure map for $5 (or rob or kill him). If you complete the treasure quest you get enough stuff to sell for more than $1,000.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:35 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

Ta. :-bd

So horse-wise, I decided to hold onto the big black shire horse, 'cos that kinda matches my idiom (I'm black and I'm proud...). I've called it "Binky".

I'm trying to be a good guy, helping everyone n' all, but I got into a spot of bother when I jumped a train whilst miles away from anywhere (and Binky isn't the fastest horse around...).

The guard got all up in my face, and unfortunately, in the fracas that followed, he musta hit his head on something...

No problem at that stage, but then I thought I best hoy his body off the (moving) train... Unfortunately, I got spotted doing that. That's when all hell broke loose.

Fortunately, without me riding him, Binky had discovered a turn of speed you don't really associate with shire horses, and had been keeping up with the train. So I thought I better make my excuses and head off on him...

Next thing I know, there's a posse after me. I jumped off ma horse and took 'em out, and then managed to high-tail it out of there and I think I avoided the "investigating" thing...

I'm now back in Valentine, and I'm gonna pop into the sheriff's office to see what happens.

[-O< [-O< [-O<

“Liberalism considered it proper for a capitalist to say to a worker, ‘You shall die of hunger,’ but improper for a worker to retort, ‘You shall die first, of a bullet. […] It is ridiculous to make a distinction between these two threats.” - Bertrand Russell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:38 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

Wunderschlung wrote:
Not that Id care, but sounds dear for a two year old game.

I'll check a YouTube.

I wanted it as soon as it came out...

But I deemed £55 too expensive to pay for a new release, so I waited.

And waited...

And waited.

These things are priced according to how well they're selling. It remains at £55 (I was lucky to catch the Epic Games sales price).

But it is worth every penny.

The scripting, acting, landscaping, immersion... Everything.

The horses even shit periodically.

What price verisimilitude?

:-??

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:41 pm 
Sergeant First-Class
Sergeant First-Class

You can pay off the bounty on your head at a post office.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:45 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

Thank you!

:-bd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:51 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

Ooh! "No bounty to pay"!

\:D/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:13 pm 
Major General
Major General

I too have been waiting some time for this game to come in at the sub £20 price point. Maybe I’ll need to bite the bullet, but gotta couple of games to chew through first.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:50 am 
Sergeant-Major of the Original Post

Go get the snow horse
Learn how to put your horse on cruise control
Level up high enough to fence stolen items

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:52 am 

Xbox gave me little nightmares fo free

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:22 am 
Holyman
Holyman

Htown0666 wrote:
Go get the snow horse

That sounds like I have to go back up into the mountains...

Gonna need a few more days of playtime before I'm ready to do that.

Chapter 1 almost gave me pneumonia!

Htown0666 wrote:
Learn how to put your horse on cruise control

:-bd

Htown0666 wrote:
Level up high enough to fence stolen items

I'm actually trying not to deliberately steal anything at the moment... 'Cos Honour...

If I find I've accidentally stolen something, then I'm donating it to the camp.

My honour isn't high enough at the moment to buy anything sexy... Maybe when it is, I'll turn into a thieving bastard once I've gained everyone's trust!

:-"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:34 pm 
Major General
Major General

I try to play games in an ‘ethical’ way, until it gets too hard. I was doing ok with Watch Dogs 2, sneaking around and hacking stuff without killing anyone, but then I got stuck and massacred my way out of a building. Gave zero shits about playing nicely after that.

My ending of Metro Exodus had me dying and ending up in some sort of purgatory on a never ending train joirney. Apparently if I hadn’t killed so many humans it would have been an altogether happier ending. Again, sneaking my way through a camp was too hard, so moar death was in order.

Don’t get me started on Deus Ex.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:41 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

I think I might be spending too much money on "Deluxe Baths"...

$0.50 a pop and I haven't got a proper hand-job yet!

>&8~

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:55 pm 
Major General
Major General

Holyman wrote:
I think I might be spending too much money on "Deluxe Baths"...

$0.50 a pop and I haven't got a proper hand-job yet!

>&8~

GTA has your back on that. From memory it even replenishes your health, somehow. The replenishment level depends on the service provided - Hand-job gets you a bit, a blow-job more so, and the full service completely regenerates your health.

And there’s the added bonus of getting your money back by beating the prostitute to death afterward.

I think the engine of RDR2 is based on GTA so it’s a shame they didn’t leave some of this amazing and appropriate features in the code.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:15 am 
Major General
Major General

RDR2 arriving tomorrow courtesy of Amazon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:33 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Slacks wrote:

CD-ROM or floppies?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:21 am 
Holyman
Holyman

Slacks wrote:

You won't regret it.

I'm spending an inordinate amount of Time in RDR2 just playing poker and dominoes...

I have fully immersed.

=P~

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:11 pm 
Major General
Major General

Installing now. 90 mins on a PS4?! Then there’s a 3GB or so update to download and install. Not exactly a typical experience so I guess the game is pretty immense, particularly as it comes on two Blu-Rays.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:08 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

I've got tuberculosis.

:(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:25 am 

You won't regret it.

I'm spending an inordinate amount of Time in RDR2 just playing poker and dominoes...

I have fully immersed.

Have you played GTA V?
It's pretty cheap right now

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:30 am 
Holyman
Holyman

I've not played GTA V, but Holyboy 2.0 has played it a lot and raves about it.

TBH, it's the setting of RDR2 that appeals more than the activities. GTA is maybe a bit too contemporary for my tastes...

:-??

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:58 am 
Major General
Major General

So I played this for a few hours yesterday, which is still basically the game walking me through a tutorial while advancing the plot and doing fun things like rob a train and take out a gang. Liking the feel of the game so far, although the combat is basically GTA V without rocket launchers and miniguns (i.e. a bit clumsy but serviceable). I can tell already that they've spent a lot of time on the detail and creating an immersive world.

Looking forward to getting more stuck into it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:01 pm 
Major General
Major General

Htown0666 wrote:
You won't regret it.

I have fully immersed.

Have you played GTA V?
It's pretty cheap right now

Meh. There's a lot of breadth to the game, but not a lot of depth. I was glad when I finally finished it. They also really need to improve the shooting mechanics in the next game, and the melee combat. The fact that it relies on auto-aiming to the extent it does says it all.

I also thought GTA IV was better.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:06 pm 
Major General
Major General

Turns out shooting a chicken is illegal and attracts the law. Who knew?