It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:34 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:48 pm 
Major General
Major General

Turns out you can hog tie a farmer, put him on a fire and burn him alive, stab all his pigs and then steal the meat.

Yes, been experimenting with my inner outlaw.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:43 am 
Holyman
Holyman

Slacks wrote:
Started my bounty huntin’ career today. So far so good.

Also hijacked my first cart. Unfortunately the rider put up a fight when I released him so I had to stab him to death. Then I had to kill a witness, and dragged their corpses into a bush. The cart was shit as it turned out and only went for $15.

Most serial killers say that became serial killers, sorta by accident.

:-??

“Hypocrisy is the Vaseline of political intercourse.” - Billy Connolly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:53 am 
Major General
Major General

Holyman wrote:
Slacks wrote:
Started my bounty huntin’ career today. So far so good.

Also hijacked my first cart. Unfortunately the rider put up a fight when I released him so I had to stab him to death. Then I had to kill a witness, and dragged their corpses into a bush. The cart was shit as it turned out and only went for $15.

Most serial killers say that became serial killers, sorta by accident.

I only murder people when they don't do what I say.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:18 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

Who can argue with that?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:48 pm 
Major General
Major General

I tried robbing a train yesterday. Did not go well. The train stopped and then a load of people on horses showed up and shot me.

May try a more subtle approach to murdering and looting everyone on the train next time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:32 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

Not tried my hand at train-robbing.

I suppose at the easiest end of the scale, it's just a question of hopping onto a train without buying a ticket..?

Haven't tried that yet, surprisingly...

If that works and it doesn't cut-scene to the next station, you can just rob all your fellow travellers: particularly the rich-looking ones!

:D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:39 pm 
Major General
Major General

Holyman wrote:
Not tried my hand at train-robbing.

I suppose at the easiest end of the scale, it's just a question of hopping onto a train without buying a ticket..?

Haven't tried that yet, surprisingly...

If that works and it doesn't cut-scene to the next station, you can just rob all your fellow travellers: particularly the rich-looking ones!

:D

You probably can hop on without a ticket, but when I rode alongside a moving train I got the option of jumping onto it like you do with carts, so I did that.

How do you readily compare stats between guns? I never know whether the gun I can pick up is better than the one I'm holding, at least without looking at the current stats, dropping it, picking up the new one, and comparing the stats from memory, which is a drag.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:22 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

Slacks wrote:
How do you readily compare stats between guns? I never know whether the gun I can pick up is better than the one I'm holding, at least without looking at the current stats, dropping it, picking up the new one, and comparing the stats from memory, which is a drag.

Stats for each weapon are right there in the middle of the wheel when you cycle through them.

Also shows you cleanliness as well. Keep on top of that to keep your weapons working tip-top.

:-bd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:26 pm 
Major General
Major General

Holyman wrote:
Slacks wrote:

Stats for each weapon are right there in the middle of the wheel when you cycle through them.

Indeed, but I want to be able to compare the gun I'm holding with the one on the floor I've not picked up and therefore don't have available on the wheel.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:49 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Guns are for show, knives for a pro....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:50 pm 
Command Sergeant-Major
Command Sergeant-Major

How do you readily compare stats between guns? I never know whether the gun I can pick up is better than the one I'm holding

I'm an American

- Boris Johnson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:25 pm 
Major General
Major General

Htown0666 wrote:
How do you readily compare stats between guns? I never know whether the gun I can pick up is better than the one I'm holding

I'm an American

I’ll call you when I need an answer then :-bd

As per all murrican TV shows and movies your number starts 555....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:32 pm 
Sergeant First-Class
Sergeant First-Class

easiest train robbing method

1. Buy a ticket to Annesburg.
2. When you get to Annesburg just stay on the train.
3. When the train starts to move whistle for your horse to follow you.
4. Put on your bandana.
5. When you are outside of town climb on top of the train and move towards the engine. (For some reason you have to face the back of the train to climb up, not face forward.) While you are on top the guards don't care, so just stay on top for now and crouch.
6. When you reach a long dark tunnel through a mountain get in the engine and stop the train about a quarter of a mile from the tunnel exit.
7. Kill the guards carefully and don't die or you will lose a lot of money. I've seen them carrying shotguns. Holding your lantern in one hand will help.
8. Loot the train and passengers.
9. Plant dynamite on the safe(s).
10. Escape on your horse.

No bounty.
Honor will decrease.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:37 pm 
Sergeant First-Class
Sergeant First-Class

Slacks wrote:
Holyman wrote:
Slacks wrote:

Indeed, but I want to be able to compare the gun I'm holding with the one on the floor I've not picked up and therefore don't have available on the wheel.

Look at the stats for the weapon you are holding first.
Pick up the new weapon and check its stats.
If you don't like it then pick up your old weapon again.

You should pick up every new weapon you find so it is added to your horse's magic weapon collection.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:18 pm 
Major General
Major General

XERXES_II wrote:
Slacks wrote:
Holyman wrote:

Look at the stats for the weapon you are holding first.
Pick up the new weapon and check its stats.
If you don't like it then pick up your old weapon again.

You should pick up every new weapon you find so it is added to your horse's magic weapon collection.

Thanks but I wanted to compare the stats side by side, but from what I’ve read it’s not possible.

If I pick up a gun and drop it straight away does it still get added to magical horse collection?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:19 pm 
Major General
Major General

XERXES_II wrote:
easiest train robbing method

1. Buy a ticket to Annesburg.
2. When you get to Annesburg just stay on the train.
3. When the train starts to move whistle for your horse to follow you.
4. Put on your bandana.
5. When you are outside of town climb on top of the train and move towards the engine. (For some reason you have to face the back of the train to climb up, not face forward.) While you are on top the guards don't care, so just stay on top for now and crouch.
6. When you reach a long dark tunnel through a mountain get in the engine and stop the train about a quarter of a mile from the tunnel exit.
7. Kill the guards carefully and don't die or you will lose a lot of money. I've seen them carrying shotguns. Holding your lantern in one hand will help.
8. Loot the train and passengers.
9. Plant dynamite on the safe(s).
10. Escape on your horse.

No bounty.
Honor will decrease.

Excellent :-bd

Ta

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:11 am 
Holyman
Holyman

Slacks wrote:
If I pick up a gun and drop it straight away does it still get added to magical horse collection?

Yup.

You just need to handle a weapon and it gets added to your available weapons disc when you're on your horse.

There are some obvious "worn..." cattle-guns and similar that you don't need to bother with, but otherwise, if you don't recognise the name of the weapon, pick it up. If it's a weaker weapon than the one you just dropped, exchange it back and you will still have the weaker weapon as an available option.

There are some good "named" weapons that drop from missions (side and story). Usually named after the guy who died failing to use it effectively against you.

And always look at the "condition" metric of weapons you come across like that. What might look like shitty stats may just be because the weapon hasn't been cleaned for a while.

There's a nice double-barrelled shotgun you can get, I think while collecting goods in lieu of debts owed. Doesn't look like much until you clean it up. But with a bit of spit-and-polish, it becomes a great house/local-area clearance weapon.

:-bd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:33 am 
Major General
Major General

OK thanks. I’ll ignore the worn stuff then.

People in the camp keep commenting that I wasn’t dressed for cold weather, but I’m wearing the outfit for cold weather. Is this just a bit of NPC dialogue or am I missing something?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:15 pm 
Sergeant First-Class
Sergeant First-Class

On my horse I have a hot weather outfit and a cold weather outfit. I wear the hot weather outfit unless I'm in a snowy area and my heart icon starts flashing the snowflake. The folks at camp don't know what they're talking about.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:07 am 
Major General
Major General

XERXES_II wrote:
On my horse I have a hot weather outfit and a cold weather outfit. I wear the hot weather outfit unless I'm in a snowy area and my heart icon starts flashing the snowflake. The folks at camp don't know what they're talking about.

OK good. I keep two outfits too, in fact I've just got a smart new summer outfit so I can hijack carts in style. I didn't even have to buy it either as I saved some idiot from his snakebite, so he owed me a favour.

I'm now at the second camp location near swamps and alligators. Started doing a bit of fishing too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:24 pm 
Sergeant First-Class
Sergeant First-Class

Chapter 6 is the end of the main game. After that is the epilogue where there are some final missions and then you are free to do optional stuff. Here is an important money tip which involves a spoiler.

Arthur dies and passes on his equipment and items to the next character who resumes the story 8 years later. What doesn't get passed on? Horses, food, tonics, and most importantly MONEY. You will start off about dead broke. There is 1 way to pass forward the money.

1. While playing as Arthur, wait to visit Aberdeen Pig Farm (southeast of Emerald Ranch) until you are near the end of Chapter 6 and don't need money anymore.
2. Go in, get drunk, get robbed. Do not go back to the farm.
3. Whenever you want to during the epilogue go back to the farm and check behind mom's portrait at the front door to get the money.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:13 am 
Major General
Major General

XERXES_II wrote:
Chapter 6 is the end of the main game. After that is the epilogue where there are some final missions and then you are free to do optional stuff.

Thanks. I'm near the end of chapter 2 at the moment, so a way to go yet. Getting through the main missions isn't time consuming, it's just all the optional stuff I like to get involved in that sucks up time. I've seen a fair few nice carriages down south so I'm gonna steal one later and take it to the guy who buys carriages, see how much money I get. Nothing to do with the plot, just good fun.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:51 pm 
Major General
Major General

Notable events so far:

Trotted into St Denis, which has a very different feel to the rest of the settlements. Pretty easy to be wanted for breaching the peace by knocking into people with your horse.

I got pick pocketed. Caught him with my lassoo, hog tied him, took my money back and then got reported for kidnapping!

Also I gave some money to a blind beggar, then picked up my mobile to send a text which took 30 secs or so. When I picked up the controller and continued playing he got up and walked away, clearly not blind. When he saw me he tried to run away. Got my money back in the end.

And finally, I went into some random house and found a weird incestuous brother and sister, who drugged me, stole my money and left me for dead. Took care of ‘em and got my money back.

This game is ‘dope’, as the kids say (I think)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:53 pm 
Major General
Major General

I'm doing some proper missions in and around St Denis now, and unfortunately the tightly packed streets are really showing up the somewhat rubbish GTA roots of control and combat. I'm not sure what the controls are like on the PC, but on the PS4 moving the camera and the run button needs to be done with the right thumb, which means if you want to run around a corner you either have to do it blind or slow to a walk, move the camera, and then run. This isn't a problem when you're in wide open spaces, or even the relatively sparse villages, but it's really fiddly and annoying in St Denis.

It is still a great game though. Probably one of the most immersive games I've ever played, if not the most immersive. If they could nab the third person camera and combat engine from something like The Division it would be perfect.