It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:03 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Metro Exodus
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:39 pm 
Major General
Major General

So my next lockdown game completion is Metro Exodus. Really enjoyed it - kinda old school but refined, with a distinct S.T.A.L.K.E.R. feel about it - and not just because of the Russian nuclear wasteland setting. A couple of the chapters are 'open world' with an absolutely fantastic feeling of constant dread (assuming you play on a non-pussy difficulty level). Constantly low on ammo, packs of mutants and mutated animals roaming which should be avoided and snuck around unless necessary. Lots of survival elements (e.g. mask filters, weapons that degrade without frequent cleaning) means constantly questioning your approach. Do I go through the radioactive area or go around it? Is it worth wading through mud and ruining your weapon to get to an abandoned house that may or may not hold important resources?

*Sort of spoiler but not really*

The ending depends on how nicely you treated other people. If you've helped people and knocked people out you get a nice ending. If you're an asshole and slaughtered anyone who looked at you funny you get a different ending.

It's sold at a budget price these days on all formats - recommended.

Post subject: Re: Metro Exodus
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:48 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Sounds like a pain in the ass.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:20 am 
Major General
Major General

PBFMullethunter wrote:
Sounds like a pain in the ass.

Sometimes that's fun. Just ask Midnight.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:52 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Had this for quite a while. Gave it a go and just couldnt gel with it, shelved it to try again later. I think I was getting a tad impatient with the story telling and RPG elements when I just wanted to run and gun.

It got mega plaudits so will will revisit at some point, been wanting a SP FPS over lockdown, maybe the time is nigh?

I thought it was quite a big game, yet you have finished it hella quick, did you binge through it or something?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:16 pm 
Major General
Major General

Wunderschlung wrote:
Had this for quite a while. Gave it a go and just couldnt gel with it, shelved it to try again later. I think I was getting a tad impatient with the story telling and RPG elements when I just wanted to run and gun.

It got mega plaudits so will will revisit at some point, been wanting a SP FPS over lockdown, maybe the time is nigh?

I thought it was quite a big game, yet you have finished it hella quick, did you binge through it or something?

Yeah, it’s definitely not a run and gun type of game. Ammo is pretty scarce so you’re generally avoiding or stealth knocking out/killing. The open world levels are the best and I wish they had all been. The more linear ones are satisfactory.

The voice acting is atrocious. If I could be bothered I’d have switched the language to Russian and read subtitles. You don’t have to listen to every conversation but there can be some useful tidbits of info.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:21 pm 
Major General
Major General

I got the game a couple of weeks ago and spent 2-4 hours a night on it (not been sleeping great). So that’s a reasonable number of hours invested.