It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:48 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Half Life: Black Mesa
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:36 pm 
Major General
Major General

BBC News wrote:
After eight years of work, fans are about to release an updated and expanded version of classic video game Half-Life.

Called Black Mesa, the resurrected game will be made available as a free download on 14 September.

The final section yet to be finished takes place in the alien Xen dimension. An expanded Xen section would be released at an unnamed date in the future, said the team.

Link

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:26 pm 
Major General
Major General

Oooh!

The Xen bit was shit anyway so no great loss there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:37 pm 
Major General
Major General

Spandex wrote:
Oooh!

The Xen bit was shit anyway so no great loss there.

I was thinking the same thing.

Time to dig out my dusty desktop, wherever it is...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:05 pm 
Sergeant First-Class
Sergeant First-Class

It's about damn time (and still not finished).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:16 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

It's out! Go get it!
http://release.blackmesasource.com/ (3.8 GB)

Quote:
Black Mesa, the eight-year project to revive Half Life, has been released, a free download bringing the classic game up to speed with Valve’s own Source engine. Including roughly 10hrs of gameplay, this first release completely rebuilds graphics and gameplay with the familiar cast of the original, and includes new maps, media files and more.

The Black Mesa team announced its first ship date earlier this month, focusing on play “all the way up to Lambda Core.” A second part is still in the pipeline, however. “We are still working hard on Xen and BMDM” the team said, “but instead of making you wait we are giving you Black Mesa as soon as it’s ready.”

It’s not the first time we’ve seen Half Life running in a new Source format. Valve itself rebuilt the game – originally using the older GoldSrc engine – in 2004, shortly after Source was developed. However, the gaming community failed to be overjoyed by the end result, criticizing the advances in graphics and gameplay as underwhelming in comparison to what Source is actually capable of.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:47 pm 
Sergeant First-Class
Sergeant First-Class

I'm going to wait for it to be available within Steam.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:52 pm 
Major General
Major General

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:17 am 
Major General
Major General

Anyone played this yet?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:31 pm 
Major General
Major General

Rather disappointingly it's not on Steam yet. I've seen various links floating around but haven't bothered yet. Steam has kind of spoiled me - Had it been on Steam I probably would have finished it by now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:09 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Looks darn good compared to the original. Taking my time to finish it as I'm busy as hell these days.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:04 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Ummmm, where do I acquire it? Linky to vid etc?

I mean, its actually out? And Im not stoned and playing it?

HL1 is in my top 5, highly prestigious position in gaming history.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:18 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

^^^

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:36 pm 
Major General
Major General

Just google it you lazy fuck! Or go on to it's Steam greenlight page - There's links on there.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:49 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Ive not fired up steam in what must be a year.
Found it though.

Has anyone played this beast yet?
I have so much wood that its seeping a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:00 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Wunderschlung wrote:
Ive not fired up steam in what must be a year.
Found it though.

Has anyone played this beast yet?
I have so much wood that its seeping a bit.

Yes and I jizzed a little. It's that good.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:30 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

The soldiers are FUCKING HARD!! I have turned it down to medium, and they are still FUCKING HARD!! If there is more than one on screen you have fucking problems, i always take some damage with every exchange. Fuck me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:24 am 
Major General
Major General

I'm finding this. The Vortigaunts (or whatever the fuck they're called), those spitting wee buggers and the dogs I can usually take down without taking any damage - You just need to dance. The soldiers are tough though. I have noticed you take very little damage at range however so I just try to take em at arms-length where possible.

It's good fun though. Spent most of last evening playing it. Only trouble being it's so good that I keep forgetting it's a mod. There's one or two bugs for example.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:03 pm 
Major General
Major General

Now totally loving this. It still has a few bugs and it's clearly not as polished as HL2 but it's still fuckin brilliant. Loving reacquainting myself with the Half-Life story.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:57 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Spandex wrote:
Only trouble being it's so good that I keep forgetting it's a mod. There's one or two bugs for example.

Yeah, its no big deal, but you can tell its a mod here and there.
It is the Source engine and i saw the comparison vids which show it to be better graphics than the original, but it aint as good graphics as HL2, you feel like you are playing a game that is over 5 years old (which is OK). Only seen a few minor bugs, sometimes the textures are fucked up (reload and sorted). At one part I was getting shot by an invisible soldier, irritating but i worked out where he was and killed him.

Still find the bad guys REALLY FUCKING HARD, its like I have to accept i will take some damage with every guy i kill. No big deal until you have to pick your way through 5 soldiers, you are on your last 10 health if you make it through. Find myself cowering a lot trying to pick em off one by one.

The overwhelming upshot is that it looks and feels like HL1, you are back in there, similar environments, sounds and puzzles. Its not identical to HL1, I can tell some of the scenes are different, but thats no bad thing. You recognise everything, but its not identical.

If you liked HL (if you did not you suck dicks) you should at least grab this for free and check it out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:39 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Started on this, and then got distracted by Borderlands 2, and haven't gotten back to it yet. What I did see was absolutely awesome though, and I love all the little nods they made to try and bridge the story between it and HL2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:34 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Anyone encountered the female special ops yet? Holy shit they are outrageous.

Also, this is totally not the same as HL1, it is in the HL1 World (i.e. Black Mesa) but a new build. Lots of very similar scenes, but a brand new game all in all.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:34 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Outrageous as in difficult? Because they were right bitches to kill in the first one too

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:13 am 
Major General
Major General

They're tougher than the HL1 ones from what I remember. Don't hurt as much though. They have what look like dual pistols so don't hurt very much but by fuck they can move! I was using far too much ammo to take em down so in the end I was chasing them around, cornering them and giving them both barrels of the shotty. I'd take a few rounds to the face doing it but it's better than hosing em down with 100's of rounds of ammo.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:06 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

I'd say all baddies are tougher. The female spec ops (ninjas I call them) are like in the original......but they cloak, crysis/predator stylee.
After taking many a beating I found myself getting them the same way as Spandex. I found that if you sprint after them you can blast them in the back, shotty drops em in one.
If you are still and they are flitting around, you empty a mag over all four walls and ceiling and die, wheras if you are chasing them they are kinda static on your screen BOOM BOOM Tbag take that bitch.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:38 pm 
Major General
Major General

I was chuckling to myself after having a quick do of this on Sunday. I went into the 2nd ninja area, saw the first ninja so legged it. Came back in and laced the whole area with trip mines then legged it again. Heard all manner of booms and bangs. Just one made it through my traps, she burst through the door straight into both barrels of my shotty. Dead.

I was just congratulating myself on outwitting the AI when I saw there was one left near a lift/stairs. Gave her half a clip of SMG and she ran off up the stairs again. So I decided to wait for her to pop back down and finish her off. Waited about 30 seconds then all of a sudden she absolutely fuckin nails from me behind. I took her down but not after she'd taken down most of my shields. I then went and investigated - From the stairs you could take a long corridor and then work your way back through the large area I'd just come through. Bitch must have hustled to go all the way round just to come up behind me. Sneaky fuckin AI. Stitched me up good and proper.

I think I'm quite close to the end. Just in the reactor cooling area now. Getting some heavy Xen opposition now. Multiple bee dudes. The ghost busters gun makes short work of em though.