It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:41 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:13 pm 
Major General
Major General

It's been released on PS4 with remastered graphics. I missed the game first time around. It looks good but possibly not the sort of game to dip into every so often. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:27 pm 
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

I just played it ...it's alright. Like any of these games though you reach a point where your character is just stupid powerful...and then it gets less fun.

belonged to someone yesterday
and will be someone else’s tomorrow

Change is the Law of The Universe

-------------------------------------------------

“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:11 pm 
Major
Major

I dip into it every year or so, playing for a few days before I decide that gayming is for children. :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:22 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Yes, get it
phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:27 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

I gave it a whirl because I'd never played a game like that before. If you like that genre it is Fucking superb.

I played quite a bit for around 3 weeks and really enjoyed it, but then I took an arrow to the knee....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:39 am 
Major
Major

yes. its worth it. wtf kind of question is that?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:43 am 
Holyman
Holyman

I'm playing it (again) right now... And the updated GFX are well-worth the revisit.

I play it side-by-side with Holyboy 2.0, 'cos the only thing that stops Skyrim being the epicest-Game ever is the fact that you can't play it cooperatively (and Elder Scrolls Online isn't a valid substitute...).

They've added MOD support to the console versions with the Special Edition, which is nice. But TBH Slacks, you'd be better off playing it on the PC... I reckon... But I have no real Frame of Reference 'cos I've never played it on a console.

Definitely worth immersing yourself in the deep and rich environment that is Tamriel.

(And killing dragons is always fun...)

:-bd

"I've finally found someone I can love - a good, clean love... without utensils" - Detective Sergeant Lieutenant Frank Drebin, Police Squad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:53 pm 
Greenhat
Greenhat

Umm Thomas the motherfucking Train Engine

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:39 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

Holyboy 2.0 and I just enjoyed a very good laugh with that ^^^

:)) :)) :))

"I've finally found someone I can love - a good, clean love... without utensils" - Detective Sergeant Lieutenant Frank Drebin, Police Squad

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:53 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Had a look at the Skyrim special edition offer on Steam and thought, why not? So purchased it.

Will see how I go. >*^*<

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:24 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

aaaaand there's a beta patch, to fix some sound issues and the fact that the game kills your granny, or something.

:!!

Be interesting to see what it looks like on the big fuck off TV in 3D. I have a recliner friendly wireless keyboard and mouse. >*^*<

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:06 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

@ Holyman

Just fooling around looking at mods for Skyrim on Nexus mods website. Do you use any mods for the game? Seems there a a zillion of them.

So far I've downloaded their mod installer and their patch for Special Edition along with a huge file of improved static mesh improvemenets for furniture etc in-game.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/8655/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D8655&pUp=1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:05 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

Certainly do use Mods with Skyrim Sid...

...Though so far, the only one I've used with the Special Edition is one I made myself (uber-Daedric armor and weapons).

'Cos it doesn't look as though there are many (any?) mods available through the Steam Workshop for Skyrim yet... So Nexus Mods is probably the only place where you can get them for SE: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/?

However, it's early days yet, and it doesn't look like there's much there, in contrast to the huge number of Standard Edition mods.

The one that everyone will be waiting for is: SkyUI.

That's the Mod with the vastly improved (In-Game) User Interface, which amongst other things, includes a load-out manager. But SkyUI relies on the Skyrim Script Extender, which hasn't yet been ported to the Special Edition... But I'm sure it won't be long.

Mostly, the Mods I used with the Standard Edition were ones that improved the appearance of things (there was an "Official" Mod that vastly improved textures); and of course, the Mods that gave you really cool Player homes/bases, or enhanced the player homes that came with the Hearthfire DLC.

But to be honest Sid: if you're new to Skyrim, there is *SO* much vanilla content to explore, it'll be a while before you'll be looking into Mods (except SkyUI - get that as soon as it's available).

Welcome to Tamriel.

:D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:56 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Thanks HM.

From my understanding the textures mod I linked to from Nexus also works in SE, as do a lot of other standard edition mods. I haven't tried any as yet, as I still struggling to get out of the damn tower in the opening scene. Thomas the tank engine was nowhere to be seen, just some pissed off lizard.

Typical British rail, always late.

I only had time for like ten minutes play last night, so will get into it more today and try out the Nexus mod installer.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:12 am 
Greenhat
Greenhat

Sadly I read the original writers of SkyUI are not going to be porting over to SE.

Either I don't know how, or steam doesn't let you share a list of mods you use; otherwise I have around 50 minor mods. A good number of those fix little things that after playing the game start to bother you a bit and feels so much better for a slight tweak.

One changed your walking speed to match everyone else, such a pain in the ass it was having to walk, run, stop, run, walk while trying to follow someone. Another made it so NPC's had to be closer before yelling at you.

A number of weather mods as well.... heh this one would cause dynamic weather. I was up at the College and this snowstorm rolled in, I couldn't see the torch in my hand.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:41 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

After a bit of a learning curve I got the Nexus mod manager to work (despite their log-n server being down atm) and have installed their unofficial patch to fix lots of bugs on the Special Edition and Brumbek's static mesh improvement mod.

I might even look at the keyboard controls so I can actually play the damn game now. lol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:40 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Been playing for an hour or so and managed to get outside. Surprisingly enjoyable once I got the hang of things.

My rig plays everything on ultra and it all looks gorgeous on the big screen.

You should definitely give it a whirl Slacks.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:34 am 
Holyman
Holyman

It all kicks in once you're past the Guardian Stones, and have selected whether you want to advantage your progress as a Thief (Stealth), Warrior (Strength) or Mage (Abracadabra).

From that point on, you're in the Open World, Baby!

You have the main plot line (being the Dragonborn), and it's worth progressing that first, to the point where you visit the Greybeards in High Hrothgar (should be a Home-from-Home for you Sid :D ). They'll give you your first Shout.

From then, you can pick up and put down the main plot line as you feel like it. No disadvantage to completing it first, during or right at the end. The SE includes the "Dragonborn" DLC, which is the extension of the main storyline, so you won't be able to start that until you've completed the main... But again: no penalties or unbalancing problems with whenever you choose to do it.

The other key Sub-quests:

Imperial v. Stormcloaks

You chose whether you wanted to be an Imperial Soldier, or join the Stormcloak Rebellion, when you were running away from the dragon that stopped you having your head chopped off. Not sure if you can subsequently switch, but once Skyrim gets under your skin, you'll likely play it through more than once, so you can experience both.

It's worth getting the Stormcloak Rebellion Quest out of the way early on, because that stops your allegiance to one or the other factions from being an issue when you go into the main towns. Plus, you get to see most of Tamriel whilst you're doing the Rebellion plot, which is handy.

Also: you'll note that there are 10 (or so) major towns dotted around the map, none of which you can fast travel to until you've visited them once. However, outside most of those towns will be a stables, where you can buy a horse (an old nag usually... Will keep you going until you get Shadowmere (you'll see ;) )). But there is also (at most stables) a guy with a cart, who for a small price (20 or 50 gold) will transport you to any of the towns. It's worth doing a tour of all the towns to begin with, because then you'll be able to fast travel to every one, and that'll help you get around Tamriel a bit faster.

Thieves Guild

Prolly my favourite. Think I always do this one first. Really rich and well-written. Good way to build up some seed capital. And at the end of it, you get some epic gear that makes your movement all but invisible.

The Dark Brotherhood

Assassin's Guild basically. Another richly detailed sub-quest... And you get Shadowmere as your horse by the end of it: and Shadowmere is a bad-ass horse that stomps all the irritating fauna that pesters you whilst you're out and about in Tamriel.

College of Winterhold

Mage's questline. If you're feeling wizardly, this is the one for you.

Definitely worth doing at some point, and I usually do it early on. Main advantage to having some Mage skilz is that there are certain moments in the game where you get disarmed of your weapons and armour. But you can't have your spells taken away from you. (It's why Martial Arts trumps Firearms: if you're a Martial Artist, they can't confiscate your weapons without performing amputation. :D )

Daedric Quests

A number of individual quests that don't have to be done sequentially; but are worth doing, particularly if you have fond memories of playing ES-IV:Oblivion - which I do!

Aaaaand a whole bunch of other side- and incidental quests, which you'll pick up as you go along.

Will keep you playing forever..!

:D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:19 pm 
Greenhat
Greenhat

Aye Holyman, and that's before you start learning to craft & enhance your own weapons and armor, to imbue magic into them as well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:18 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

H-oh yes indeed.

Very rewarding crafting and improving your own weapons, and enchanting the flip out of them.

Certainly more rewarding than running around buying all the materials for the Hearthfire buildings...

~X(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:09 pm 
Greenhat
Greenhat

Holyman wrote:
H-oh yes indeed.

Very rewarding crafting and improving your own weapons, and enchanting the flip out of them.

Certainly more rewarding than running around buying all the materials for the Hearthfire buildings...

~X(

There's a mod for that :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:24 pm 
Major General
Major General

Get it.

I've logged 263 hours in Skyrim according to Steam. Fuckin loved it. Maxed out 3 different characters (a ranger, a mage and a tank). No other SP RPG comes close in terms of immersiveness. I second Holymans recommendation of the thieves guild missions. I loved those too.

As for mods. All I ran were some graphical tweaks and some very minor gameplay mods (fast travel to your home & merchants have more money to buy shit off you are the only two I recall). Modding is nice but to begin with I'd just play the game.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:59 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Thanks HM. Gives me some idea of what to go for. :D

As for mods, I've got the weather one, that walking speed correction, for npc's, a signpost mod that marks roads and crossroads better plus a couple of texture improvements as I like teh graphics to be as good as possible.

I also got that home base tower that has all sorts of shit, but won't use it yet as I just want to roam around playing without cheats etc.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:40 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

If you never played it before definitely check it out. Years ago I must have put in about 70 hours into it.

If you have played it before and re-buying it for the "improved graphics" then I don't think so. It's a $$ gimmick by Bethesda because the game still feels and looks very outdated.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:19 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

Graphic-J wrote:
If you have played it before and re-buying it for the "improved graphics" then I don't think so. It's a $$ gimmick by Bethesda because the game still feels and looks very outdated.

It seems like an unusual move...

My theory: they have used the next generation graphics engine that Elder Scrolls VI (and Fallout 5, I guess) will use. Get that all sorted with this Special Edition of Skyrim, and they can focus on the game engine, mechanics and content for ES6.

...Is about the only real explanation I can come up with.

Particularly as it was free of charge to everyone who had the original game and all three of the DLC packs.

:-??