It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:42 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:09 am 
Holyman
Holyman

Why do populations of large cities tend to be more liberal and progressive than rural populations?

:-?

"We are moving into an era where authority cannot be the Truth.

Only the Truth shall be the Authority in coming times, as the sanctity of all authorities will be questioned."
- Sadhguru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:31 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Holyman wrote:
Why do populations of large cities tend to be more liberal and progressive than rural populations?

Because prejudices melt away when exposed to reality.

For instance if you live in Bumhole, Nowhere and hate “faggots” it’s because you’ve only seen them on TV and they’re always annoying and sex crazed.

Move to the city and end up meeting many, and they’re still sex crazed and somewhat annoying but certainly not bad enough to hate.

Same thing with different races, cultures etc. It’s all about exposure.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:54 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

PBFMullethunter wrote:
Move to the city and end up meeting many, and they’re still sex crazed...

Yup.

That's the reason I moved to London as soon as I was allowed.

<Q\M>

Only the Truth shall be the Authority in coming times, as the sanctity of all authorities will be questioned."
- Sadhguru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:18 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

I guess...but where does the highest amount of hate crime take place? In the cities or outside of them...I dunno...but my guess is inside them.

I think you have greater variety simply due to volume. More people means more gay people. So as a result you have industry and merchants who will cater to that. So it seems like they are more welcoming...but really ... look at Vancouver. You have a gay town. They've self segregated in the city...why?

...kinda like how record stores are still doing well in cities...there's just going to be more audiophiles that are willing to support them.

belonged to someone yesterday
and will be someone else’s tomorrow

Change is the Law of The Universe

-------------------------------------------------

“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:22 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

tgrant wrote:
So it seems like they are more welcoming...but really ... look at Vancouver. You have a gay town. They've self segregated in the city...why?

Not really, they’re all over the place now. But in the 90’s and earlier, there was a genuine threat of getting gay-bashed so they stuck together in the West End.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:38 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Funny, I've never met more rude, bigoted, hateful and prejudiced people than city folks. Especially the insular elitist type who thinks he knows everything about everything and demonstrates he knows nothing, they usually call themselves "woke" or "progressive" or "liberal" or ironically enough "open minded".

Maybe there's still somewhere in the world where the rural folks are the racist morons, but it's not my part of the woods.

PCNC and PBF live in death!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:42 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

PBFMullethunter wrote:
tgrant wrote:
So it seems like they are more welcoming...but really ... look at Vancouver. You have a gay town. They've self segregated in the city...why?

Not really, they’re all over the place now. But in the 90’s and earlier, there was a genuine threat of getting gay-bashed so they stuck together in the West End.

Yeah really...Toronto has gay village....are gay people all over? Of course ... but there is way more there.

I was actually talking to a buddy in our Vancouver office about the gay bashing in the 90's...Indian people beating the shit out of gay people...I had no idea...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:22 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Yeah Sikhs were notorious shit-disturbers in the 80's and 90's, but the latest generation is a lot mellower. Kinda cool when you live long enough to see societal improvement like this.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:56 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Holyman wrote:

Because many people living in large cities are poor, drug addicts and immigrants that need government welfare?

San Francisco has more registered drug users on the needle exchange, than they do High School students. That is super Progressive! The aggressive bums and shit all over the streets is even better!
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/phi ... 571702.php

Sure - living in the big cities is fun when you are young and don't have a family. But contrary to Mullet's assertion, it doesn't make us "prejudiced" to want to stay away from Progressive/Liberal dysfunction once you have money and the means (and children to raise).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:12 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Foota wrote:
Sure - living in the big cities is fun when you are young and don't have a family. But contrary to Mullet's assertion, it doesn't make us "prejudiced" to want to stay away from Progressive/Liberal dysfunction once you have money and the means (and children to raise).

Yet you don't support any measures to address the problem, ensuring it only gets worse.

Of course west coast cities will get all the junkies, because you can sit outside all day without dying. It's a small price to pay.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:25 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

PBFMullethunter wrote:
Foota wrote:

Yet you don't support any measures to address the problem, ensuring it only gets worse.

Are you kidding? I vote all of the time to throw the Progressive politicians and unions out.

Remember when I said last year my company got banned from working in San Francisco because my Corporate HQ is in one of the 10 States that is deemed insufficiently friendly to LGBT and abortion causes?

Well, their Public Works director just got arrested by the FBI for corruption. The fucker will still likely get his six figure pension while in prison.
https://www.sfexaminer.com/news-columni ... bi-arrest/

How can I fix that other than voting for Republicans to get corrupt unions and Progressives out of government?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:28 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Foota wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:
Foota wrote:

Are you kidding? I vote all of the time to throw the Progressive politicians and unions out.

Remember when I said last year my company got banned from working in San Francisco because my Corporate HQ is in one of the 10 States that is deemed insufficiently friendly to LGBT and abortion causes?

Well, their Public Works director just got arrested by the FBI for corruption. The fucker will still likely get his six figure pension while in prison.
https://www.sfexaminer.com/news-columni ... bi-arrest/

How can I fix that other than voting for Republicans to get corrupt unions and Progressives out of government?

Yeah I'm sure that all really helps with people's drug addictions.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:34 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

PBFMullethunter wrote:

Vancouver's homeless problem is higher than ever.
https://globalnews.ca/news/5383602/vanc ... t-results/

Do you think your needle exchange program is working in reducing the number of drug addicts and homeless people?

Sorry, alot of these people need some tough love.

Empathy is literally killing these people.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:39 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Foota wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:

Vancouver's homeless problem is higher than ever.
https://globalnews.ca/news/5383602/vanc ... t-results/

Do you think your needle exchange program is working in reducing the number of drug addicts and homeless people?

Sorry, alot of these people need some tough love.

Empathy is literally killing these people.

Jesus Christ man. And what would this "tough love" entail exactly?

People are homeless because they can't afford homes.

And there is no empathy, everyone just ignores them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:47 pm 
Major General
Major General

Aren't most 'bums' people with serious mental and psychological issues?

Whoa....deja vu.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:24 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

PBFMullethunter wrote:

Jesus Christ man. And what would this "tough love" entail exactly?

People are homeless because they can't afford homes.

And there is no empathy, everyone just ignores them.

All I am saying is what we are currently doing (showing empathy by giving them free needles and allowing them to set up camps) is encouraging MORE homeless people.

Maybe your homeless are different then what I see almost every day in California. But I see ALOT of young people in their teens and early 20's who appear to be having a good time openly shooting up in public places and hanging out.

Look at this fucker from Reno, Nevada that purposely moved to Seattle because he knew it was easy to do drugs and live on the streets.

phpBB [video]

I will grant you that there is a percentage of truly hopeless mental and drug addicted people who need to be institutionalized, but I think there is a significant population of homeless that can be discouraged from living on the street and doing drugs if we are tougher on vagrancy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:27 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Foota wrote:
I will grant you that there is a percentage of truly hopeless mental and drug addicted people who need to be institutionalized, but I think there is a significant population of homeless that can be discouraged from living on the street and doing drugs if we are tougher on vagrancy.

Right, so fire-hosing them off the sidewalks will magically create homes for them to live in?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:38 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

PBFMullethunter wrote:
Foota wrote:

Right, so fire-hosing them off the sidewalks will magically create homes for them to live in?

No - but many will go back to their friends and families.

Like that fucker from Reno in the video I posted above. You really think that dude is homeless and addicted to meth because he can't buy a house? It is much cheaper to live in Reno than Seattle.

If you truly think the cost of housing is the main culprit for the drug and homeless problems in our big cities, we need to vote out the Progressive who put up all sorts of zoning and environmental limitations on new construction driving up the prices on existing homes. We need to vote out the unions that require Prevailing Wage on new Public Works construction needlessly driving up the cost of building.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:47 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

To Mullet's defense Toronto was shipping it's homeless over there...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto- ... g-1.184029

...but fuck me Toronto has enough. Lots are people who made poor life choices. Lots had pretty shit things happen to them. Others struck out on the genetic lottery.

...if we don't support the government taking care of them then they will get violent and cause more damage than giving them the basics to survive. Very few will not die on the streets.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:57 am 
Holyman
Holyman

The reason why most homeless people in Western Economies don't have homes, is because residential housing is a Financial Commodity, traded and inflated accordingly.

Homeless people can't afford to live in a home.

That is all.

Oh, and if they're not bonkers when they become homeless, it's usually only takes a short period of sleeping rough to lose one's grip on "Reality" (such as it is...).

>*^*<

- Sadhguru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:58 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Holyman wrote:
The reason why most homeless people in Western Economies don't have homes, is because residential housing is a Financial Commodity, traded and inflated accordingly.

Homeless people can't afford to live in a home.

That is all.

>*^*<

It would be nice if it was as simple as money but it just isn't. The reality is that just like you see in offices with lots of employees (as you've outlined in previous posts), some are over achievers. Some run in the pack. Some are shit. Society is the same. Whether they are shit because they are going through issues and need support or because they have substance abuse problems...or they struck out in the genetic lottery ...or some other reason...they are in the bottom percentile. We have plenty of free housing where people can get back on their feet. But...unfortunately...those places are filled with other people in the bottom percentile. They generally aren't nice places to live because you've got people who don't or aren't capable of making "proper" life choices. Crime, drugs...violence...so people leave and prefer to live on the streets. The only time homeless shelters start to fill up is when it gets crazy cold. Other than that these people know enough to not want to be around each other.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:50 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

I hear what you're saying tG, though I think it touches on other issues we need to address and resolve beyond homelessness.

I'm reducing just homelessness to a core issue: the cost of a home.

There isn't a single homeless person trying to keep warm in London today, who if I gave them the keys to a home that was theirs to keep forever, wouldn't accept them.

There might still be a few Old School "Gentlemen of the Road" who just like living outside; but for the most part, homeless people would like their own home.

But they can't ever afford that.

Because residential housing is a financial commodity, firstand foremost.

It didn't ought to be.

[-X

- Sadhguru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:27 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Holyman wrote:
I hear what you're saying tG, though I think it touches on other issues we need to address and resolve beyond homelessness.

I'm reducing just homelessness to a core issue: the cost of a home.

There isn't a single homeless person trying to keep warm in London today, who if I gave them the keys to a home that was theirs to keep forever, wouldn't accept them.

There might still be a few Old School "Gentlemen of the Road" who just like living outside; but for the most part, homeless people would like their own home.

But they can't ever afford that.

Because residential housing is a financial commodity, firstand foremost.

It didn't ought to be.

[-X

So ... of course housing is a commodity. People want homes. There are only so many. People have unique wants and they buy homes that fit these wants. Just like you and I both did. Are you proposing free housing for all? We have lots of free housing...but that doesn't solve the problem and the way most cities do it probably make things much worse.

I mean...sure...you could give them the keys to your house. The home won't raise them out of the bottom 20% because not having a home isn't what keeps them in the predicament of not having a home.

The sad reality of it is that you will always...ALWAYS...have a bottom 20%. It sucks. But the same factors that give you your Einstein's, Degrasse Tyson's and your Hemmingway's give you the Bum on the street, the junky and the criminal. Some it is social. Some of it biological...some of it is luck. It sucks but we don't live in a perfect society. Nor should we strive too. Everyone who's tried to make a perfect society has failed miserably.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:45 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

My solution, which I only just came up with a few seconds ago, is this:

Place each bum in a safe, warm little house in a small community which actually has a very easy “job” attached to it, for instance said bum will be required to manage energy collection from solar panels, or roll doobies for a weed store or something. My feeling is that there are many menial tasks out there that could be handled by bums if the workday was short and they could easily accomplish everything they needed to in an hour or two per day. Then they could spend the rest of the day just doing nothing.

Why should every job need to be super demanding and soul-sucking? It’s too much for many people.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:29 pm 
Major General
Major General

PBFMullethunter wrote:
My solution, which I only just came up with a few seconds ago, is this:

Still the best proposal so far.