It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:54 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Midway (new mooovie)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:09 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

phpBB [video]

Was interested till I saw the trailer. More Murrican cheese and CGI horseshit. :-&

How hard would it be to just make a movie with planes and not fake planes? Like Dunkirk, that one was actually good because it had planes.

Fuck you.

Post subject: Re: Midway (new mooovie)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:24 pm 
Major
Major

My 9 year old boy is anxious to see this.

I'm setting my expectation low. But it has to be better than Affleck's Pearl Harbor movie.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:06 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Foota wrote:
My 9 year old boy is anxious to see this.

I'm setting my expectation low. But it has to be better than Affleck's Pearl Harbor movie.

I could take a dump onto a cheap Android phone with its camera running and it would be better than that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:11 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

PBFMullethunter wrote:
How hard would it be to just make a movie with planes and not fake planes?

This far from the real war? Very difficult to find period authentic aircraft and ships. Very few aircraft Japan had survived the war, even fewer were in operational condition. Almost none survive today.

There are fewer and fewer Allied aircraft surviving of the era too.

The original 1974 version had that problem, they had to use T-6 Texan trainers as stand-ins because there were no operational Japanese WW2-era aircraft at the time.

And none of the ships involved in the actual Battle of Midway survive to the present time. They were all destroyed or scrapped in the long run.

PCNC and PBF live in death!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:22 pm 
Major General
Major General

SomeGuy wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:

This far from the real war? Very difficult to find period authentic aircraft and ships. Very few aircraft Japan had survived the war, even fewer were in operational condition. Almost none survive today.

The original 1974 version had that problem, they had to use T-6 Texan trainers as stand-ins because there were no operational Japanese WW2-era aircraft at the time.

And none of the ships involved in the actual Battle of Midway survive to the present time. They were all destroyed or scrapped in the long run.

Sweet Moses. Nobody is talking about using the original planes. Decent replicas will do fine.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:28 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Slacks wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:

Sweet Moses. Nobody is talking about using the original planes. Decent replicas will do fine.

Nobody makes replicas much of old airplanes like that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:28 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

For a movie that used a lot of real planes and realistic models watch the Battle of Britain movie. Excellent.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:40 pm 
Major
Major

This is one of my favorites.

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:41 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Yeah they don't have to be authentic built-in-1942 planes, just actual planes and not computer graphics bullshit.

Dunkirk did some of their stuff with RC models, which looks fine because they are still planes and not computer graphics bullshit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:47 pm 
Major General
Major General

SomeGuy wrote:
Slacks wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:

Jesus Christ how do you think they made movies before CGI?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:53 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Slacks wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
Slacks wrote:

He probably bought tickets already and is defending it to avoid the cognitive dissonance that would arise from paying to see an obviously suck-ass movie.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:55 pm 
Major
Major

Slacks wrote:

The stuff is alot older now.

There really aren't that many working WWII planes available for huge battle scenes like shown in the trailer of the movie.

I would think using RC planes would be very difficult in the huge battles scenes as well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:58 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Remember Tora! Tora! Tora!?

Fuck yeah. Planes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:01 pm 
Major
Major

PBFMullethunter wrote:

Fuck yeah. Planes.

Yeah - but that was half a century ago (1970). The planes were only 25 years old back then with lots of them still around.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:02 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

PBFMullethunter wrote:

Fuck yeah. Planes.

One of my fave war films ever.....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:03 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Foota wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:

Fuck yeah. Planes.

Yeah - but that was half a century ago (1970). The planes were only 25 years old back then with lots of them still around.

In other words, we should watch it again and forget about this new shitty movie.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:09 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Foota wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:

Fuck yeah. Planes.

Allied airplanes anyways. Getting ahold of Axis aircraft post-1945 is well beyond needle in a haystack. It's not exactly much exaggeration to state that we (the Allied powers) destroyed them all.

Like why there's only ONE working Tiger tank after the war despite over a thousand of them made. (You can count the number of fully operational Axis tanks be they Italian, German or Japanese on your hands.)

Also, all the old war films in the early 1970s like Tora! Tora! Tora! used T-6 Texan trainers as mock ups for Japanese aircraft.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:26 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

SomeGuy wrote:
Foota wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:

Fuck yeah. Planes.

Allied airplanes anyways. Getting ahold of Axis aircraft post-1945 is well beyond needle in a haystack. It's not exactly much exaggeration to state that we (the Allied powers) destroyed them all.

Like why there's only ONE working Tiger tank after the war despite over a thousand of them made. (You can count the number of fully operational Axis tanks be they Italian, German or Japanese on your hands.)

Also, all the old war films in the early 1970s like Tora! Tora! Tora! used T-6 Texan trainers as mock ups for Japanese aircraft.

Yup and the Brits own that Tiger.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:33 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

SomeGuy wrote:
Foota wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:

Fuck yeah. Planes.

Yes, and the result was a hell of a lot better than computer graphics bullshit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:35 pm 
Major General
Major General

ffs you don't have to use original planes because THEY BUILD REPLICAS, which is a million times better than the CGI in this shitty Midway movie.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:37 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

PBFMullethunter wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
Foota wrote:

Except when you see the silliness of T-6 Texans and Hollywood mockups interspersed with ACTUAL war footage to fill out the film. The original Midway was rife with these kinds of errors. (Especially since none of the stock war footage used in that film was of the Battle of Midway itself.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:46 pm 
Major General
Major General

Jesus Christ. Watchable fiction films but I wouldn't be bragging on this for a 'based on true events' WW2 flick.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:59 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

SomeGuy wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:

Except when you see the silliness of T-6 Texans and Hollywood mockups interspersed with ACTUAL war footage to fill out the film. The original Midway was rife with these kinds of errors. (Especially since none of the stock war footage used in that film was of the Battle of Midway itself.)

I’m not saying every old film was good. Have you even watched Tora!x3 or BoB?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:17 am 
Colonel
Colonel

PBFMullethunter wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:

I've seen Tora! Tora! Tora!, Midway, The Longest Day (quite possibly the best WW2 film ever), A Bridge Too Far, Patton and one about the Battle of the Bulge which I don't remember the title.

That's the old ones I've seen.

More "modern" movies and series I've seen of WW2 include Memphis Belle, The Tuskegee Airmen, Saving Private Ryan, The Pacific (best WW2 series), Red Tails, Pearl Harbor, The Big Red One (includes Mark Hamill who is NOT playing Luke Skywalker!), U-571, and Dunkirk and those are all the titles and ones I can remember right now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:25 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

SomeGuy wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:

I've seen Tora! Tora! Tora!, Midway, The Longest Day (quite possibly the best WW2 film ever), A Bridge Too Far, Patton and one about the Battle of the Bulge which I don't remember the title.

That's the old ones I've seen.

More "modern" movies and series I've seen of WW2 include Memphis Belle, The Tuskegee Airmen, Saving Private Ryan, The Pacific (best WW2 series), Red Tails, Pearl Harbor, The Big Red One (includes Mark Hamill who is NOT playing Luke Skywalker!), U-571, and Dunkirk and those are all the titles and ones I can remember right now.

Battle of the bulge was laughably incorrect. Good film when I was a young un though.