It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:14 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:38 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Holyman wrote:
Foota wrote:
I have never meditated but running and surfing seems to do the trick for me.

Westerners tend to think of Meditation as an act, some form of ritualised routine, or an exercise or sequence of exercises.

Most Westerners also tend to *THINK* (D'oh!) that they know what "Result" they are looking for from such an activity. Some form of "Inner Peace" or tangible calmness and serenity about their being...

Best definition I came up with, and it's the one I use, for "Meditation", is:

To Be With Oneself.

*HOW* you "be" with your self is entirely up to you. That's kind of the Point. There's no One-Size-Fits-All approach with Meditation... Why would there be?

Mechanistically: I would describe Meditation as detaching from your Mind.

We spend most of our Lives "in" our Minds. So much so that most of us tend to believe that we are who we *THINK* we are. That the constant monologue/dialogue running at the forefront of our Conscious Awareness, is some kind of "Audio Track" recording of "Who I Am".

But when we do something that we are so effortlessly good at, we don't even have to think about it, we can just enjoy it... When we're doing something we've done a thousand times before, but still enjoy... Because each Experience has a subtle or not-so-subtle difference to all previous Experience...

When we are doing something like that, we can forget who we think we are; and Imagine being who we *FEEL* we are.

Which is more or less where most of the guys in the loincloths and saffron robes are trying to get to.

But, you know, we all work with what's Available, right?

:-??

Yep!!! *hug*