It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:46 pm

All times are UTC+01:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:42 pm 
Offline
Major
Major
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:40 pm
Posts: 16810
Alaskan Viking wrote:
I've said before how electric motors are inherently simpler and more efficient, but our battery tech is the main inefficiency in cost and weight.


Yup - batteries are limiting a bunch of shit including my flying taxis! But it is amazing what car makers are able to do with right now. It is only going to get better and better.

Still hoping this guy's research pans out.
https://www.axios.com/battery-pioneer-1 ... 84666.html


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:14 pm 
Offline
Colonel
Colonel
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:42 am
Posts: 24593
Foota wrote:
Alaskan Viking wrote:
I've said before how electric motors are inherently simpler and more efficient, but our battery tech is the main inefficiency in cost and weight.


Yup - batteries are limiting a bunch of shit including my flying taxis! But it is amazing what car makers are able to do with right now. It is only going to get better and better.

Still hoping this guy's research pans out.
https://www.axios.com/battery-pioneer-1 ... 84666.html



Your flying taxis won't happen in your lifetime.... Far far too many variables and laws to overcome.....

_________________
Empir immoto


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:18 pm 
Offline
Major
Major
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:40 pm
Posts: 16810
barcelona wrote:

Your flying taxis won't happen in your lifetime.... Far far too many variables and laws to overcome.....


There are less variables than auto-driving cars which we already have. Can't be that hard to manage airspace. We already funnel hundreds of millions of individual cars on 3 to 6 lanes of concrete freeways everyday.

Now if stupid government will get out of the way.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:40 pm 
Offline
Colonel
Colonel
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:42 am
Posts: 24593
Foota wrote:
barcelona wrote:

Your flying taxis won't happen in your lifetime.... Far far too many variables and laws to overcome.....


There are less variables than auto-driving cars which we already have. Can't be that hard to manage airspace. We already funnel hundreds of millions of individual cars on 3 to 6 lanes of concrete freeways everyday.

Now if stupid government will get out of the way.



Really?


You know there are very strict laws for flying? Especially over populated areas....

It won't happen for years and years if at all.

_________________
Empir immoto


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:48 pm 
Offline
Major General
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:00 pm
Posts: 32531
I'll have more optimistic if Amazon delivery by drone is green-lighted for built up areas. Even then it'll require a substantial period of safety before we start sticking people in flying pods.

_________________
barcelona wrote:
Pics of Someguy naked wrapped in bacon........


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:11 pm 
Offline
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:00 pm
Posts: 18173
Location: teh internet
Slacks wrote:
I'll have more optimistic if Amazon delivery by drone is green-lighted for built up areas. Even then it'll require a substantial period of safety before we start sticking people in flying pods.


None of that shit will happen, ever.

You know how much of a big deal air traffic control is? Someone can fly their little hobby drone for 10 seconds a few km from the airport and it turns into a major event. Then there’s weather, migrating birds etc. it ain’t never gonna happen. Right up there with the hyperloop.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:45 pm 
Offline
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:00 pm
Posts: 19888
PBFMullethunter wrote:
Slacks wrote:
I'll have more optimistic if Amazon delivery by drone is green-lighted for built up areas. Even then it'll require a substantial period of safety before we start sticking people in flying pods.


None of that shit will happen, ever.

You know how much of a big deal air traffic control is? Someone can fly their little hobby drone for 10 seconds a few km from the airport and it turns into a major event. Then there’s weather, migrating birds etc. it ain’t never gonna happen. Right up there with the hyperloop.


I see aerial transport like Foota describes as being much more likely than Hyperloop. And much more feasible.

_________________
Ill sell ya the rope with which you shall hang yourself.
Capitalism for the Win.

PCNC and PBF live in death!


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:49 pm 
Offline
Colonel
Colonel
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:42 am
Posts: 24593
SomeGuy wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:
Slacks wrote:
I'll have more optimistic if Amazon delivery by drone is green-lighted for built up areas. Even then it'll require a substantial period of safety before we start sticking people in flying pods.


None of that shit will happen, ever.

You know how much of a big deal air traffic control is? Someone can fly their little hobby drone for 10 seconds a few km from the airport and it turns into a major event. Then there’s weather, migrating birds etc. it ain’t never gonna happen. Right up there with the hyperloop.


I see aerial transport like Foota describes as being much more likely than Hyperloop. And much more feasible.




Nope.

Laws are only going to get stricter not more lax..
It's a fantasy.

_________________
Empir immoto


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:08 am 
Offline
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 13, 2004 12:00 pm
Posts: 6780
Location: Close to where I want to be
I personally don't want to see 1000's of drones blocking out the sky...fuck that. I'd vote against it.

_________________
What you have taken, Has been from here
What you gave has been given here
What belongs to you today
belonged to someone yesterday
and will be someone else’s tomorrow

Change is the Law of The Universe

-------------------------------------------------

“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:10 am 
Offline
Major
Major
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:40 pm
Posts: 16810
I'm telling you primates - it's going to happen.

And alot sooner than you think. Even Sid will be alive to see it.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:14 am 
Offline
Colonel
Colonel
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:42 am
Posts: 24593
Foota wrote:
I'm telling you primates - it's going to happen.

And alot sooner than you think. Even Sid will be alive to see it.



And when the first fatal accident happens?

_________________
Empir immoto


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:15 am 
Offline
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 13, 2004 12:00 pm
Posts: 6780
Location: Close to where I want to be
Foota wrote:
I'm telling you primates - it's going to happen.

And alot sooner than you think. Even Sid will be alive to see it.


Na...don't hold your breath.

_________________
What you have taken, Has been from here
What you gave has been given here
What belongs to you today
belonged to someone yesterday
and will be someone else’s tomorrow

Change is the Law of The Universe

-------------------------------------------------

“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:24 am 
Offline
Major
Major
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:40 pm
Posts: 16810
tgrant wrote:
I personally don't want to see 1000's of drones blocking out the sky...fuck that. I'd vote against it.


I don't think there will be that many in the air. People wont take them to go to the store and local travel, it will mostly be for the hard commutes (20+ miles one way) for people getting to work who are stuck in gridlock traffic. LA, San Diego, Bay Area, New York/Jersey/Philly....

Vancouver could use them. That traffic is fucked with all of those bridges.

There will be mini-airports in the suburbs and the outskirts of big cities (or tops of buildings?) and the routes will be controlled and will follow major freeways and roads.

It will still be a rich man's travel for a long time, so I don't think the sky will be blotted out by them.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:28 am 
Offline
Major
Major
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:40 pm
Posts: 16810
barcelona wrote:
Foota wrote:
I'm telling you primates - it's going to happen.

And alot sooner than you think. Even Sid will be alive to see it.



And when the first fatal accident happens?


Nearly 40,000 people die in car accidents every year in the US. Hundreds of thousands more are grievously wounded. Can't get much worse than that.

I'd feel alot better driving to work if I knew all the surrounding traffic was being controlled by computers........or better yet, up in the air and out of my way.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:36 am 
Offline
Colonel
Colonel
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:42 am
Posts: 24593
Foota wrote:
barcelona wrote:
Foota wrote:
I'm telling you primates - it's going to happen.

And alot sooner than you think. Even Sid will be alive to see it.



And when the first fatal accident happens?


Nearly 40,000 people die in car accidents every year in the US. Hundreds of thousands more are grievously wounded. Can't get much worse than that.

I'd feel alot better driving to work if I knew all the surrounding traffic was being controlled by computers........or better yet, up in the air and out of my way.



How did I know you'd be using cars as a comparison?

Not all car accidents are fatal. You at least have a good percentage for surviving.....


Something going wrong hundreds or thousands of feet in the air??? Not very good percentage of surviving....


You don't see a difference.?

_________________
Empir immoto


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:49 am 
Offline
Major
Major
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:40 pm
Posts: 16810
barcelona wrote:


How did I know you'd be using cars as a comparison?


What am I supposed to compare it to?


barcelona wrote:
Not all car accidents are fatal. You at least have a good percentage for surviving.....


Something going wrong hundreds or thousands of feet in the air??? Not very good percentage of surviving....


You don't see a difference.?


Most car accidents and fatalities are due cars hitting other cars or people driving too fast packed on a few narrow strips of concrete and asphalt. Air drones would pretty much eliminate the collision source of accidents and fatalities.

If the drone has mechanical problems, it should be packed with a parachute and tons of airbags so it will be a soft landing. I think most of the commuter drones will operate around 1,000 feet above the ground.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:08 am 
Offline
Colonel
Colonel
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:42 am
Posts: 24593
Foota wrote:
barcelona wrote:


How did I know you'd be using cars as a comparison?


What am I supposed to compare it to?


barcelona wrote:
Not all car accidents are fatal. You at least have a good percentage for surviving.....


Something going wrong hundreds or thousands of feet in the air??? Not very good percentage of surviving....


You don't see a difference.?


Most car accidents and fatalities are due cars hitting other cars or people driving too fast packed on a few narrow strips of concrete and asphalt. Air drones would pretty much eliminate the collision source of accidents and fatalities.

If the drone has mechanical problems, it should be packed with a parachute and tons of airbags so it will be a soft landing. I think most of the commuter drones will operate around 1,000 feet above the ground.



Will normal folk be able to afford the fare or will it be only a new fad available for the rich?

_________________
Empir immoto


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:52 am 
Offline
Major
Major
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:40 pm
Posts: 16810
barcelona wrote:


Will normal folk be able to afford the fare or will it be only a new fad available for the rich?


I'm sure it will be pretty expensive at first and only the rich can afford to use it frequently. Even if we get some of the rich people off the freeways at prime commute hours, the poor people like me will benefit from less freeway traffic.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:21 am 
Offline
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:00 pm
Posts: 18173
Location: teh internet
You just need these.

https://www.theonion.com/l-a-adds-lanes ... 1830940259


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:37 am 
Offline
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:59 am
Posts: 8446
Holy shit gas is $3.45 in Commiefornia
Under 2 bucks here
No wonder u want an electric car
You and the rest of your state should get some yellow vests and break stuff

_________________
Love him or hate him, Trump is a man who is certain about what he wants and sets out to get it, no holds barred. Women find his power almost as much of a turn-on as his money.

- Donald Trump


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:46 am 
Offline
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:00 pm
Posts: 18173
Location: teh internet
Htown0666 wrote:
Holy shit gas is $3.45 in Commiefornia
Under 2 bucks here
No wonder u want an electric car
You and the rest of your state should get some yellow vests and break stuff


Oh try BC (bring cash) - way more than that.

Still cheaper than Engerlund tho


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:43 pm 
Offline
Colonel
Colonel
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:42 am
Posts: 24593
PBFMullethunter wrote:
Htown0666 wrote:
Holy shit gas is $3.45 in Commiefornia
Under 2 bucks here
No wonder u want an electric car
You and the rest of your state should get some yellow vests and break stuff


Oh try BC (bring cash) - way more than that.

Still cheaper than Engerlund tho



Diesel is around £1.30 ish a litre.......

_________________
Empir immoto


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:00 pm 
Offline
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:00 pm
Posts: 18173
Location: teh internet
barcelona wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:
Htown0666 wrote:
Holy shit gas is $3.45 in Commiefornia
Under 2 bucks here
No wonder u want an electric car
You and the rest of your state should get some yellow vests and break stuff


Oh try BC (bring cash) - way more than that.

Still cheaper than Engerlund tho



Diesel is around £1.30 ish a litre.......


Yep you’re getting screwed!


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:32 pm 
Offline
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:00 pm
Posts: 19888
barcelona wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:
Htown0666 wrote:
Holy shit gas is $3.45 in Commiefornia
Under 2 bucks here
No wonder u want an electric car
You and the rest of your state should get some yellow vests and break stuff


Oh try BC (bring cash) - way more than that.

Still cheaper than Engerlund tho



Diesel is around £1.30 ish a litre.......


Which translates to around £4.91 a gallon.

Presently the exchange rate is about 1.26 dollars per pound sterling which makes the price about $6.19 per gallon.

You're getting hosed mate.

_________________
Ill sell ya the rope with which you shall hang yourself.
Capitalism for the Win.

PCNC and PBF live in death!


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:43 pm 
Offline
Major General
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:00 pm
Posts: 32531
Free healthcare though

_________________
barcelona wrote:
Pics of Someguy naked wrapped in bacon........


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next

All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited