It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:36 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:27 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

If I live at the edge of a city, am I a borderline city cunt?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:32 pm 
Major
Major

PBFMullethunter wrote:
If I live at the edge of a city, am I a borderline city cunt?

You are full cunt ........ at least the Canadian portion of you.

SJ's home town of Pueblo is over 100,000 people. I think that makes him one of the bigger city slickers at OP.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:33 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Foota wrote:
SJ's home town of Pueblo is over 100,000 people. I think that makes him one of the bigger city slickers at OP.

I work in Pueblo.

But if you paid attention to Frenchie...

francois-xavier c. wrote:
Mr. SomeGuy lives in Colorado City. We're talking about a population just shy of 2,200, here.

He's figured out where I'm at.

There's not even 5000 people in a ten mile radius of me in any direction on or off the mountain. Pueblo is a minimum 20 miles (~33 km) drive.

Bigger city slicker? Mate if this place had any fewer people in European terms it'd be called a village or hamlet, not a town.

All y'all got me beat in that regard. (Except maybe H-town who lives out in the middle of nowhere in Texas.)

PCNC and PBF live in death!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:35 am 
Colonel
Colonel

SomeGuy wrote:
Foota wrote:

I work in Pueblo.

But if you paid attention to Frenchie...

francois-xavier c. wrote:
Mr. SomeGuy lives in Colorado City. We're talking about a population just shy of 2,200, here.

He's figured out where I'm at.

There's not even 5000 people in a ten mile radius of me in any direction on or off the mountain. Pueblo is a minimum 20 miles (~33 km) drive.

Bigger city slicker? Mate if this place had any fewer people in European terms it'd be called a village or hamlet, not a town.

All y'all got me beat in that regard. (Except maybe H-town who lives out in the middle of nowhere in Texas.)

You are the minority then...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:34 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

I live outside Brenham in wine country lol
I'm not in some hick part of Texas
I'm shitting in some pretty tall cotton

- Donald Trump

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:54 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Htown0666 wrote:
I live outside Brenham in wine country lol
I'm not in some hick part of Texas
I'm shitting in some pretty tall cotton

:-?

If this is where you are, then by Foota logic you live in a hick part of Texas because you're not surrounded by tons of people and thus must be ignored.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:33 am 
Major
Major

I just got back from a mini-road trip with the family to Los Angeles testing the limits of the Bolt's range and public charging. This was the first time I used or relied on public chargers, so I was a little bit nervous since I have never used the ChargePoint app before.

Yesterday's total drive was just under 170 miles and the Bolt has a 238 mile range, but I was only charged to 220 when we left since I am still waiting on the fast charger at home. I read about Bolt owners in colder climates getting way less than the 238 miles during the winter while others can get 300 miles driving surface streets in nicer weather. The majority of my trip was on freeways where the Bolt is less efficient. So again, I'm a bit nervous.

I mapped out my route using "PlugShare" and all three of my stops had public chargers and I knew I had enough juice to get to the hotel which was our final destination last night. But I was hoping to top off at each location and try out the public chargers. Our first stop was Grauman's Chinese Theater in Hollywood where we were site seeing and having lunch and all the chargers in the parking garage were being used. No big deal, I can get some juice at the California Science Center parking lot when we go there in the afternoon. But when we got there, all of the chargers were being used too. No big deal, I got enough to get to the hotel which has chargers in their parking garage. But I start worry that the hotel chargers might be all used too or down for maintenance and I won't have enough juice to get home the next day (today). If the hotel chargers weren't available, I would have to go find a pay charger a few blocks away, but that would be a pain in the ass.

Ultimately, a charging space opened up at the California Science center (I was notified by the app) and I got plugged in for an hour and picked up 25 miles of range and all of the hotel chargers were available when we pulled in too. So I plugged in for the night and was completely full this morning. Super nice feeling getting free electricity and eliminating range anxiety.

We would have spent about $50 in gas if we took the minivan on this trip.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:16 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

That same trip would have cost me $13.10 in my v6 4x4 with Texas gas prices
And I never have to worry
That's at $1.85 a gallon or about $0.49 A litre

- Donald Trump

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:52 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

What’s gonna happen when everybody has an electric car and it takes an hour and a half to fill up? This is gonna be fucked.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:02 pm 
Major General
Major General

Foota wrote:
I just got back from a mini-road trip with the family to Los Angeles testing the limits of the Bolt's range and public charging. This was the first time I used or relied on public chargers, so I was a little bit nervous since I have never used the ChargePoint app before.

Yesterday's total drive was just under 170 miles and the Bolt has a 238 mile range, but I was only charged to 220 when we left since I am still waiting on the fast charger at home. I read about Bolt owners in colder climates getting way less than the 238 miles during the winter while others can get 300 miles driving surface streets in nicer weather. The majority of my trip was on freeways where the Bolt is less efficient. So again, I'm a bit nervous.

I mapped out my route using "PlugShare" and all three of my stops had public chargers and I knew I had enough juice to get to the hotel which was our final destination last night. But I was hoping to top off at each location and try out the public chargers. Our first stop was Grauman's Chinese Theater in Hollywood where we were site seeing and having lunch and all the chargers in the parking garage were being used. No big deal, I can get some juice at the California Science Center parking lot when we go there in the afternoon. But when we got there, all of the chargers were being used too. No big deal, I got enough to get to the hotel which has chargers in their parking garage. But I start worry that the hotel chargers might be all used too or down for maintenance and I won't have enough juice to get home the next day (today). If the hotel chargers weren't available, I would have to go find a pay charger a few blocks away, but that would be a pain in the ass.

Ultimately, a charging space opened up at the California Science center (I was notified by the app) and I got plugged in for an hour and picked up 25 miles of range and all of the hotel chargers were available when we pulled in too. So I plugged in for the night and was completely full this morning. Super nice feeling getting free electricity and eliminating range anxiety.

I'd go for a hybrid until topping up the battery becomes somewhat readily do-able.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:47 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Foota wrote:

It would have cost maybe 15 bucks with Colorado gas prices and a half-decent car. Likely less.

And you would've had no stress from worrying about charge or needing an app to hunt around for rare infrastructure or half the problems of that trip mate.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:43 pm 
Major
Major

PBFMullethunter wrote:
What’s gonna happen when everybody has an electric car and it takes an hour and a half to fill up? This is gonna be fucked.

I'd never get an EV car if I had to rely on public charging every day. It only makes sense if you have a garage where you can charge at home or if your workplace offers charging. For my normal 50 mile round trip work commute, I am just plugging in my garage every couple of days at night.

That said, the charging and battery technology is changing fast and I suspect in the next 5-10 years charging will be as fast as filling up the tank with gas. Most of the time, you just need to top off 25-50 miles so you have enough to get home. There are already DC fast chargers that can do this in minutes. Tesla's supercharger network is even better.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:47 pm 
Major
Major

Htown0666 wrote:
That same trip would have cost me $13.10 in my v6 4x4 with Texas gas prices
And I never have to worry
That's at $1.85 a gallon or about $0.49 A litre

Gas is $3.30/gallon and our electricity is pretty expensive too in Commi-land (about $0.23kWH). I signed up for the EV plan so my electricity will only be $0.09/kWh during super off peak time from 12 midnight to 6:00AM.

I didn't get the car to save money (even though I am) - I got it because it is the most fun car I have ever driven. I am appreciating the one pedal driving and regen braking even more than the smooth acceleration and massive torque.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:34 pm 
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

...about 80 cents american a litre in this over taxed wasteland. Moving to Texas. All I have to do is buy a hat and boots right?

belonged to someone yesterday
and will be someone else’s tomorrow

Change is the Law of The Universe

-------------------------------------------------

“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:16 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

tgrant wrote:
...about 80 cents american a litre in this over taxed wasteland. Moving to Texas. All I have to do is buy a hat and boots right?

and grumble about illegal aliens

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:09 am 
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

prolly need some guns too.

belonged to someone yesterday
and will be someone else’s tomorrow

Change is the Law of The Universe

-------------------------------------------------

“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:15 am 
Sergeant-Major