It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:19 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 901 posts ]  Go to page Previous 132 33 34 35 36 37 Next
 Post subject: Re: Pollution
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:25 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

PBFMullethunter wrote:
barcelona wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:
Remember playing with lighters and plastic stuff like straws as a kid? You could make little lakes of fire, it was cool.

The best stuff was the tough plastic strips used to hold your newspaper bundle together, it would burn for several minutes and drop little fire bombs all over the street.

I nearly burned my hood down once.

And it went zip zip zip. I did it on ants nest pretending to be a Stuka with droppable bombs

If only I’d known about Stukas back then.

That's when I got mine originally before I lost it. Think I was 7 or 8...I bought one restored on eBay about 15 years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:08 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

I used to enjoy making caltrops out of biros, splintered and then melted together.

Perfect tool for stopping your little brothers following you when you're up to no good.

(Since little brothers are the *WORST* stool-pigeons.)

^^|^^

"“A rising share of the goods that make today’s capitalist economies grow would not sell if people dreamed other dreams than they do—which makes understanding, developing and controlling their dreams a fundamental concern of political economy in advanced-capitalist society.”" - Wolfgang Streeck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:06 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Greta’s in Vancouver today! And we are expecting 90 km/h winds around rally time :))

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:30 pm 
Major General
Major General

PBFMullethunter wrote:
Greta’s in Vancouver today! And we are expecting 90 km/h winds around rally time :))

Well I hope she's got her portable wind turbines to hand. Can't let that sort of energy go to waste.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:34 pm 
Major
Major

My asshole friends burnt down a porta potty once at the Indy 500. It was like a nuclear bomb and it burned for over an hour (in the rain) ultimately reduced to a lump of plastic the size of a pizza box.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:46 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Slacks wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:

Well I hope she's got her portable wind turbines to hand. Can't let that sort of energy go to waste.

how dare you

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:07 pm 
Major General
Major General

PBFMullethunter wrote:
Slacks wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:

how dare you

How dare you more like

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:15 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

My recent research has lead me to Bjorn. Seems to be one of the few who gets it.

Full article here:

https://nypost.com/2019/10/12/climate-c ... solutions/

Some good points:

Quote:
Even if all 4.5 billion flights this year were stopped from taking off, and the same happened every year until 2100, temperatures would be reduced by just 0.054 degrees, using mainstream climate models — equivalent to delaying climate change by less than one year by 2100.

Nor will we solve global warming by giving up meat. Going vegetarian is difficult — one US survey shows 84 percent fail, most in less than a year. Those who succeed will only reduce their personal emissions by about 2 percent.

And electric cars are not the answer. Globally, there are just 5 million fully electric cars on the road. Even if this climbs massively to 130 million in 11 years, the International Energy Agency finds CO₂ equivalent emissions would be reduced by a mere 0.4 percent globally

Quote:
Most of the 21st century emissions are not being emitted by the rich world. Indeed, if every single rich country stopped all CO₂ emissions today and for the rest of the century — no plane trips, no meat consumption, no gasoline-powered cars, no heating or cooling with fossil fuels, no artificial fertilizer — the difference would be just 0.72 degrees°F by end-of-century.

Quote:
We must look at how we solved past major challenges — through innovation. The starvation catastrophes in developing nations in the 1960s to ’80s weren’t fixed by asking people to consume less food but through the Green Revolution in which innovation developed higher-yielding varieties that produced more plentiful food.

Quote:
Similarly, the climate challenge will not be solved by asking people to use less (and more expensive) green energy. Instead, we should dramatically ramp up spending on research and development into green energy.

The Copenhagen Consensus Center asked 27 of the world’s top climate economists to examine policy options for responding to climate change. This analysis showed that the best investment is in green-energy R&D. For every dollar spent, $11 of climate damages would be avoided.

Quote:
Right now, despite all the rhetoric about the importance of global warming, we are not ramping up this spending. On the sidelines of the 2015 Paris climate summit, more than 20 world leaders made a promise to double green-energy research and development by 2020. But spending has only inched up from $16 billion in 2015 to $17 billion in 2018. This is a broken promise that matters.

belonged to someone yesterday
and will be someone else’s tomorrow

Change is the Law of The Universe

-------------------------------------------------

“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:08 am 
Major General
Major General

If our general consumption was more in line with what we actually need we would go a long way to reduce our negative impact on the environment. Wasting a third of our food in the West is a shameful, for example. We undoubtedly waste water and electricity, and I suspect we could cut those right down with minimal impact to our quality of life. None of this is controversial or a partisan position.

Most of this change is going to come from education and awareness campaigns, and it has an effect.

And ffs let's build some new generation nuclear power stations. They're not built the same way that they used to and are a heck of a lot safer and more efficient. The Greens shot themselves in the foot there I reckon.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:17 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Slacks wrote:
We undoubtedly waste water and electricity, and I suspect we could cut those right down with minimal impact to our quality of life. None of this is controversial or a partisan position.

The question then turns to how. How do you get folks to reduce food, water and electricity consumption? Be careful how you word it, you might come across as advocating in favor of starvation and living a pre-industrial lifestyle. Or just being bothersome and moronic like how the environmentalists and politicians did when they banned traditional incandescent lightbulbs and forced the poisonous mercury vapor ones on us instead.

PCNC and PBF live in death!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:32 pm 
Major General
Major General

SomeGuy wrote:
Slacks wrote:
We undoubtedly waste water and electricity, and I suspect we could cut those right down with minimal impact to our quality of life. None of this is controversial or a partisan position.

The question then turns to how. How do you get folks to reduce food, water and electricity consumption? Be careful how you word it, you might come across as advocating in favor of starvation and living a pre-industrial lifestyle. Or just being bothersome and moronic like how the environmentalists and politicians did when they banned traditional incandescent lightbulbs and forced the poisonous mercury vapor ones on us instead.

Slacks wrote:
Most of this change is going to come from education and awareness campaigns

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:53 pm 
Major
Major

Slacks wrote:

Now you are talking my specialty. There are lots of engineering solutions to sustainability beyond just conservation.

Did you know that most cities lose 30% of the water before it gets to your home or business due to leaky underground city water pipes? Some cities are as high as 75% because their pipes are so old and not maintained well. We have technology that can identify and quantify the severity of the leaks non invasively from street level, then the Water department and City have to do an ROI to see if it is worth digging up the streets and all that repair cost is worth the lost water. Some leaks can cost millions and millions to repair due to the location under other utilities.

Ironically, water conservation like low flow toilets are posing challenges for the sanitary sewer systems because there is less water to push the shit and solids downstream. Pipes were designed assuming a specific upstream population and volume of water in terms of pipe slope and pipe size. Now all those solids are now sitting in pipes turning septic and emitting corrosive H2S gas that is chewing up the pipes that were supposed to last over 50+ years.

We are facing billions and billions in early sewer infrastructure repair jobs in the near future because of this problem.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:55 pm 
Major
Major

Slacks wrote:
Most of this change is going to come from education and awareness camps, and it has an effect.

Reeducation camps?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:36 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Foota wrote:
Slacks wrote:
Most of this change is going to come from education and awareness camps, and it has an effect.

Reeducation camps?

Most likely if we go that route. I know of awareness and education campaigns about using less electricity/water/etc. that have been around for decades...

...yet electricity and water use keep going up.

What comes next when awareness ads and education camps fail?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:38 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Clearly, Soviet style communism is right around the corner. Be vigilant!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:11 pm 
Major General
Major General

SomeGuy wrote:
Foota wrote:
Slacks wrote:

Reeducation camps?

Most likely if we go that route. I know of awareness and education campaigns about using less electricity/water/etc. that have been around for decades...

If a population is too retarded to realise that minimising waste is a good thing then they deserve to go extinct

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:27 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Slacks wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
Foota wrote:

Reeducation camps?

If a population is too retarded to realise that minimising waste is a good thing then they deserve to go extinct

Especially the Brits!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:49 am 
Major General
Major General

Fracking halted in UK ahead of election over earthquake fears.

https://news.sky.com/story/fracking-ban ... s-11851577

Something tells me that fracking would quietly be started up again after the election if the Cons won. In the meantime we're missing out on all that clean natural gas!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:46 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

Foota wrote:
Did you know that most cities lose 30% of the water before it gets to your home or business due to leaky underground city water pipes? Some cities are as high as 75% because their pipes are so old and not maintained well. We have technology that can identify and quantify the severity of the leaks non invasively from street level, then the Water department and City have to do an ROI to see if it is worth digging up the streets and all that repair cost is worth the lost water. Some leaks can cost millions and millions to repair due to the location under other utilities.

Ironically, water conservation like low flow toilets are posing challenges for the sanitary sewer systems because there is less water to push the shit and solids downstream. Pipes were designed assuming a specific upstream population and volume of water in terms of pipe slope and pipe size. Now all those solids are now sitting in pipes turning septic and emitting corrosive H2S gas that is chewing up the pipes that were supposed to last over 50+ years.

We are facing billions and billions in early sewer infrastructure repair jobs in the near future because of this problem.

Finally!

How are you going to fix that state of affairs Foota?

How can you make sure that the way you remediate things now, won't just reoccur, when habits and environmental factors continue to evolve.

Global Evolutionary Water Supply and Management System.

Go!

Don't worry about funding, I'll sort that. Assuming unlimited budget, how would you go about ensuring every human has acess to cleam, potable water?

This'll be a good one for you to get your teeth into. I have every confidence in you, man!

I look forward to hearing your progress reports.

:-bd

"“A rising share of the goods that make today’s capitalist economies grow would not sell if people dreamed other dreams than they do—which makes understanding, developing and controlling their dreams a fundamental concern of political economy in advanced-capitalist society.”" - Wolfgang Streeck

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:50 pm 
Captain
Captain

Slacks wrote:
Fracking halted in UK ahead of election over earthquake fears.

https://news.sky.com/story/fracking-ban ... s-11851577

Something tells me that fracking would quietly be started up again after the election if the Cons won. In the meantime we're missing out on all that clean natural gas!

You can just buy gas from Russia

[**==] [**==] SomeGuy 2020 [**==] [**==]
[**==] [**==] It's going to be a [**==] [**==]
[**==] [**==] Brave New World [**==] [**==]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:58 pm 
Captain
Captain

Holyman wrote:
Foota wrote:

Finally!

How are you going to fix that state of affairs Foota?

How can you make sure that the way you remediate things now, won't just reoccur, when habits and environmental factors continue to evolve.

Global Evolutionary Water Supply and Management System.

Go!

Don't worry about funding, I'll sort that. Assuming unlimited budget, how would you go about ensuring every human has acess to cleam, potable water?

This'll be a good one for you to get your teeth into. I have every confidence in you, man!

I look forward to hearing your progress reports.

:-bd

Ever human being?

Guess we will just do your long dreamed about one world government.

Use military force to crush states like NK to make them comply. Crush authoritarian regimes and rebels alike to make sure all people living under their rule have access to plentiful, clean drinking water.

Roundup all those independent types living in dry desert regions, small islands, or remote jungles and relocate them in our new water Utopia.

[**==] [**==] SomeGuy 2020 [**==] [**==]
[**==] [**==] It's going to be a [**==] [**==]
[**==] [**==] Brave New World [**==] [**==]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:43 am 
Holyman
Holyman

Yes.

Just water for every human being.

It's a simple brief.

Do you need it explained further?

:-S

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:41 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

It would be cool if we could devise a system whereby water was automatically sucked up into the air and then dumped on land intermittently.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:40 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

PBFMullethunter wrote:
It would be cool if we could devise a system whereby water was automatically sucked up into the air and then dumped on land intermittently.

Intermittently? More like daily. At the same time every day. Roughly around 4 pm.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:55 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

SomeGuy wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:

Intermittently? More like daily. At the same time every day. Roughly around 4 am.

fixed

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 901 posts ]  Go to page Previous 132 33 34 35 36 37 Next