It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:33 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 901 posts ]  Go to page Previous 131 32 33 34 3537 Next
 Post subject: Re: Pollution
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:35 am 
Holyman
Holyman

Foota wrote:
No - I am saying it would be a total HUMAN CATASTROPHE. We are talking the starvation and deaths of millions of people, most of which are the most vulnerable and poor on the planet. We will be facing wars over resources and the oil producing countries in the Middle East and Russia will totally implode causing a refugee crisis this planet has never seen.

And how would any of that be any different to how the najority of human beings experience Life today?

You've just described the 20th and 21st Human centuries, haven't you?

And all the scientists, economists, sociologists, Historians and anthropologists I pay attention to, say that World you are describing, will continue and get worse, if Humanity doesn't step up.

Only politicians and people who depend on the Fossil Fuel Sector for their income and status are saying it's the othet way around.

Why would I believe the latter group over the former?

Foota wrote:
BTW - are these the same banker friends that missed the housing bubble? Are these the same banker friends that missed the 2008 recession?

You misunderstand.

My Banking clients, colleagues and friends aren't in the business of making scientific predictions. They are in the business of making Money.

And they're really good at that. Much, much, *MUCH* better than you or I are Foota.

You think you know Money..? You don't know Money.

These people make smart investments, or they might as well kill themselves: a poor investment strategy will have the same effect on their careers.

And over the last 3-5 years, those investment strategists have begun divesting from Old Paradigm, fossil-fuel-based enterprises; and instead shifted to Sustainable Businesses.

Don't believe me?

Try and get a USD10m business loan or overdraft without having a credible Roadmap towards sustainability.

I'mnot saying bankers are also predicting Environmental Catastrophe as well. I am saying they are now backing Science over Politics.

On another note:

If you really understood "The Big Short", not only will you understand that my banking colleagues were fully aware of the Housing Bubble. You'll also understand they actively and purposefully drove its inflation, in the certain knowledge that few people would recognise what was going on; as they exploited that Bubble for their own gain.

The Crash was inevitable. I told you it was coming 9 months before it hit.

The only people who didn't see it coming, were those people who think they understand Money but in fact don't.

Next question.

>&8~

"“A rising share of the goods that make today’s capitalist economies grow would not sell if people dreamed other dreams than they do—which makes understanding, developing and controlling their dreams a fundamental concern of political economy in advanced-capitalist society.”" - Wolfgang Streeck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:47 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

I don't think the banks give a shit about the environment.

I think the banks are getting behind it because of all the pushing to create a carbon tax combined with the fact that people don't really know what to do to fix the problem. It looks to me like we're heading towards an economic situation where we're just going to throw money at it and see what sticks. Seeing as there are tons of government grants coming (thanks to your tax dollars) there will be little risk for banks when they're dishing out loans. If the enterprise fails they will reclaim their money from equity that came from government grants. If it's successful they will get interest from the loans they're dishing out. Fucking bankers.

It'll also create a nice big bubble as different enterprises race to find something that works. ...reminds me a lot of the dot.com push. Was really hoping the next bubble would be a weed economy.

belonged to someone yesterday
and will be someone else’s tomorrow

Change is the Law of The Universe

-------------------------------------------------

“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:57 am 
Major
Major

Holyman wrote:
Foota wrote:
No - I am saying it would be a total HUMAN CATASTROPHE. We are talking the starvation and deaths of millions of people, most of which are the most vulnerable and poor on the planet. We will be facing wars over resources and the oil producing countries in the Middle East and Russia will totally implode causing a refugee crisis this planet has never seen.

And how would any of that be any different to how the najority of human beings experience Life today?

You've just described the 20th and 21st Human centuries, haven't you?

And all the scientists, economists, sociologists, Historians and anthropologists I pay attention to, say that World you are describing, will continue and get worse, if Humanity doesn't step up.

Continue to get worse?

Life has consistently gotten better for the majority of the planet. People are richer, healthier and living longer.

Holyman wrote:
If you really understood "The Big Short", not only will you understand that my banking colleagues were fully aware of the Housing Bubble. You'll also understand they actively and purposefully drove its inflation, in the certain knowledge that few people would recognise what was going on; as they exploited that Bubble for their own gain.

I understand it. This is why I called it rent-seeking. There are alot of "smart" people working the system making a ton of money.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:17 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

Every dog has its day Foota.

And good dogs know when their day is done.

Dunno what else to tell you.

:-??

"“A rising share of the goods that make today’s capitalist economies grow would not sell if people dreamed other dreams than they do—which makes understanding, developing and controlling their dreams a fundamental concern of political economy in advanced-capitalist society.”" - Wolfgang Streeck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:28 pm 
Major
Major

Holyman wrote:
Every dog has its day Foota.

And good dogs know when their day is done.

Dunno what else to tell you.

:-??

Are you saying the "good dogs" are members of the Climate Doomsday Cult and they believe their day is done since they all believe Climate Change is going to cause humanity to go extinct?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:54 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

No.

(:|

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:43 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Liquid Hydrogen jet fuel. Yeah baby. We could have that shit up and running in 20-30 years. Russians even had a passenger jet that used the stuff, (Tupolev Tu-155)...wonder why the Russians stopped developing their hydrogen tech in the 80's??!! ...oh yeah... nevermind.

belonged to someone yesterday
and will be someone else’s tomorrow

Change is the Law of The Universe

-------------------------------------------------

“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:58 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Just build hyperloops that go through the center of the earth and can take you anywhere you like. Basically, gravity would power your descent into the hellfires, then you’d have so much momentum that you would pop out the other side with almost no external power needed.

You read it here first.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:05 pm 
Major General
Major General

PBFMullethunter wrote:
Just build hyperloops that go through the center of the earth and can take you anywhere you like. Basically, gravity would power your descent into the hellfires, then you’d have so much momentum that you would pop out the other side with almost no external power needed.

You read it here first.

I'm reasonably sure I've read this somewhere else before you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:18 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

PBFMullethunter wrote:

You read it here first.

Sounds like a beautiful idea.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:41 pm 
Captain
Captain

I stopped by to get up beverage at a local fast food place, and they changed over to really shitty paper straws, But my drink which is a small one came in an all plastic cup with plastic lid. III/O

So now it's like 10 times worse from when they had plastic straws and paper cups, plus the whole time I'm drinking out of it I'm tasting the paper in my mouth. Which seriously gives me flashbacks to the 1960s drinking out of paper straws as a kid in restaurants. :-O

[**==] [**==] SomeGuy 2020 [**==] [**==]
[**==] [**==] It's going to be a [**==] [**==]
[**==] [**==] Brave New World [**==] [**==]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:51 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

MIDNIGHT wrote:
I stopped by to get up beverage at a local fast food place, and they changed over to really shitty paper straws, But my drink which is a small one came in an all plastic cup with plastic lid. III/O

So now it's like 10 times worse from when they had plastic straws and paper cups, plus the whole time I'm drinking out of it I'm tasting the paper in my mouth. Which seriously gives me flashbacks to the 1960s drinking out of paper straws as a kid in restaurants. :-O

You can buy stainless steel straws.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:19 am 
Captain
Captain

barcelona wrote:
MIDNIGHT wrote:

or just continue to use plastic straws and get the message out to people need to dispose of them properly.

Takes a lot more energy to create the aluminum straw than the plastic straw, and although it lasts a lot longer, nobody knows exactly how many uses the aluminum straw has to last for before it breaks even and starts becoming a benefit. Additionally it takes water and chemicals to wash the straw between over use.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:25 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

MIDNIGHT wrote:
barcelona wrote:
MIDNIGHT wrote:

or just continue to use plastic straws and get the message out to people need to dispose of them properly.

Takes a lot more energy to create the aluminum straw than the plastic straw, and although it lasts a lot longer, nobody knows exactly how many uses the aluminum straw has to last for before it breaks even and starts becoming a benefit. Additionally it takes water and chemicals to wash the straw between over use.

Weak..

Just drink without a straw ffs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:31 am 
Captain
Captain

barcelona wrote:
MIDNIGHT wrote:
barcelona wrote:

Weak..

lol, you're advocating changes that you have absolutely no idea if they actually make a difference or not just cuz it makes you feel good.

So normally when you're driving down the road and you're drinking a beverage you don't use a straw?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:34 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

MIDNIGHT wrote:
barcelona wrote:
MIDNIGHT wrote:

Weak..

lol, you're advocating changes that you have absolutely no idea if they actually make a difference or not just cuz it makes you feel good.

So normally when you're driving down the road and you're drinking a beverage you don't use a straw?

I don't eat or drink when I drive. I think it's an offence actually.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:06 am 
Major
Major

barcelona wrote:

Because you barely leave your street and live in a small country.

Some of us live in huge countries and have to travel alot in cars to get to work and schlepping kids around to school, sports etc.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:16 am 
Captain
Captain

barcelona wrote:
MIDNIGHT wrote:
barcelona wrote:

Weak..

Here in the US it could potentially be considered distracted driving and a potential moving violation. Although I doubt many tickets are handed out for it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:18 am 
Colonel
Colonel

I have one of those beer hats.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:23 am 
Captain
Captain

Foota wrote:
barcelona wrote:

Because you barely leave your street and live in a small country.

Some of us live in huge countries and have to travel alot in cars to get to work and schlepping kids around to school, sports etc.

No kidding, a couple years ago I was driving, 1000 miles in one day, about three or four times a year. Having that plastic straw in a big container of refreshing liquid, definitely want a long way to keeping me sharp on a long drive like that. Cut way down on how many stops I had to make.

Not currently, but for about 16 years I had an hour drive each way to work.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:24 am 
Captain
Captain

PBFMullethunter wrote:
I have one of those beer hats.

There's no way in hell to get the straws on those things clean, Not to mention they're made if super cheap plastic from China and who knows how toxic that shit is!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:26 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Remember playing with lighters and plastic stuff like straws as a kid? You could make little lakes of fire, it was cool.

The best stuff was the tough plastic strips used to hold your newspaper bundle together, it would burn for several minutes and drop little fire bombs all over the street.

I nearly burned my hood down once.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:40 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

PBFMullethunter wrote:
Remember playing with lighters and plastic stuff like straws as a kid? You could make little lakes of fire, it was cool.

The best stuff was the tough plastic strips used to hold your newspaper bundle together, it would burn for several minutes and drop little fire bombs all over the street.

And it went zip zip zip. I did it on ants nest pretending to be a Stuka with droppable bombs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:41 am 
Captain
Captain

PBFMullethunter wrote:

Yes as a kid my friends and I lit all types of plastic shit on fire we shouldn't have. That was pretty much the fate of all my 1:32 scale model planes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:20 am 
Colonel
Colonel

barcelona wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:

And it went zip zip zip. I did it on ants nest pretending to be a Stuka with droppable bombs

If only I’d known about Stukas back then.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 901 posts ]  Go to page Previous 131 32 33 34 3537 Next