It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:52 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 Post subject: Re: Pollution
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:11 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

I'm going to make sure Foota gets his natural gas without using trucks or trains all whilst getting a tax exemption for wildlife
Anyone need carbon credits?

- Donald Trump

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:17 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

barcelona wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
Public transportation is ineffective in the US owing to its geographic size. Bus fare alone is preposterous if you're traveling interstate, it cost about as much as cheap airfare. And it's much slower than air.

Same with trains.

But driving is pretty much just the cost of fuel and how long you want to take to get there. No schedules other than your own, no security checkpoints other than what you make them to be, no relying on specific infrastructure other than a simple road and you have a much wider variety of food on the way.

Plus, many areas of the country have long distances between towns, there's no way in Hell you're gonna have regular and frequent bus or train runs between say Colorado Springs and Pueblo. Too much distance to have regular and frequent service. You'd be running stuff every 2 hours at most frequent.

Some times life out of Colorado might be a good thing

SG’s actually right about this. Outside of New Yawk, you kinda (really) need a car. Canaduh is the same.

Oh, and I take pubic transit sometimes - it would be fine if I was closer to the city but I’m in a mixed suburban/agricultural kinda place and it SUCKS FUCKING ASS. I generally don’t have four hours to get to a destination that is ia 20 minute drive away.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:04 am 
Colonel
Colonel

PBFMullethunter wrote:
barcelona wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
Public transportation is ineffective in the US owing to its geographic size. Bus fare alone is preposterous if you're traveling interstate, it cost about as much as cheap airfare. And it's much slower than air.

Same with trains.

But driving is pretty much just the cost of fuel and how long you want to take to get there. No schedules other than your own, no security checkpoints other than what you make them to be, no relying on specific infrastructure other than a simple road and you have a much wider variety of food on the way.

Plus, many areas of the country have long distances between towns, there's no way in Hell you're gonna have regular and frequent bus or train runs between say Colorado Springs and Pueblo. Too much distance to have regular and frequent service. You'd be running stuff every 2 hours at most frequent.

SG’s actually right about this. Outside of New Yawk, you kinda (really) need a car. Canaduh is the same.

Oh, and I take pubic transit sometimes - it would be fine if I was closer to the city but I’m in a mixed suburban/agricultural kinda place and it SUCKS FUCKING ASS. I generally don’t have four hours to get to a destination that is ia 20 minute drive away.

Ok we don't but millions of people rely on the railways for getting to work and back and etc....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:14 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

barcelona wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:
barcelona wrote:

Ok we don't but millions of people rely on the railways for getting to work and back and etc....

In North America? Not so much. I mean the Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver runs right by my house and I can see Murricans on it as it goes by, but that’s just holidays and special business trips. Not sure anyone would use that shit for commuting, too slow.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:17 am 
Colonel
Colonel

PBFMullethunter wrote:
barcelona wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:

In North America? Not so much. I mean the Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver runs right by my house and I can see Murricans on it as it goes by, but that’s just holidays and special business trips. Not sure anyone would use that shit for commuting, too slow.

We're getting the fast trains.

Murricu needs to catch up .but then again Murricu is in the past.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:25 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

barcelona wrote:

Are you kidding? They have Hyperloop!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:29 am 
Colonel
Colonel

PBFMullethunter wrote:
barcelona wrote:

Are you kidding? They have Hyperloop!

And self landing rockets n stuffs..

What a crock..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:02 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

PBFMullethunter wrote:
barcelona wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:

Even if it were faster, railways are extremely limited in capacity and infrastructure. The light rail system in Denver is used by many commuters but you're in for sometimes a decent sized walk between anywhere and the nearest train pickup. It simply cannot go anywhere without trampling over existing homes and businesses to build new rail segments. Worse, it can't service everywhere in Denver.

And then there's the congestion in servicing. Most of the railways in Colorado outside light rail in Denver have a minimum one month in advance need for scheduling. Why? Because the lines are chronically scheduled for freight traffic, particularly fuel for power plants and agricultural transport (livestock, grain, etc.)

Plus culturally, the idea of taking the train anywhere died as a direct result of the Interstate Highway Act of 1956. Why take trains when you can drive anywhere on an extensive and all-encompassing network of roads and freeways? Hell, the highway system here has more access than railways and railways have been in existence in this country since the 1850s. West of the Mississippi River, not everywhere has railroad access. In Colorado if you weren't a crossroads of agriculture or an old mining town or along the way between either, you don't have railroad access. The nearest railroad to me is about 6 kilometers east of me in the middle of nowhere, the nearest stop is Pueblo. None of the half dozen or so mountain towns and communities to my west in the Wet Mountains and Sangre De Cristos has railway access.

It just won't work.

PCNC and PBF live in death!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:51 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Well, Germany has Das Autobahn UND good trains.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:26 am 
Major General
Major General

I'd wager much of America's transport pollution comes from high traffic urban areas where public transport is well suited.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:00 am 
Holyman
Holyman

Foota wrote:
For the millionth time, I believe the climate is changing and I believe Man plays a part with CO2.

What is under debate is how bad it will be and what we *DO* about it.

Nope. There is no debate.

It is very bad already and getting worse.

And what we *DO* about it is substantially reduce the amount of Carbon Dioxide human activities create.

There isn't any room for debate.

Foota wrote:
I simply don't think the problem is so dire and immediate that we need to "Fundamentally transform our societies" as the Marxist dopes at the UN were arguing last week.

But you aren't thinking about the problem; you are relying on faith and belief.

If you used your rational faculties, you would not be able to ignore the overwhelming scientific consensus, the Geopolitical ("Marxist dopes at the UN") consensus, or the vested interest that U.S. corporations and politicians have in telling you, "It ain't all that bad."

Now... You just get back to telling us all how wonderful it is that the U.S. is now the World's leading producer of fossil fuels.

<:-P

"The essence of capitalism is to turn nature into commodities and commodities into capital. The live green earth is transformed into dead gold bricks, with luxury items for the few and toxic slag heaps for the many. The glittering mansion overlooks a vast sprawl of shanty towns, wherein a desperate, demoralized humanity is kept in line with drugs, television, and armed force." - Michael Parenti, 1995

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:22 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Slacks wrote:
I'd wager much of America's transport pollution comes from high traffic urban areas where public transport is well suited.

You don’t understand Murrica.

You can’t live close to the city center because the city center is shit. So you live 30 miles out in a low density suburban area where decent transit is impractical. This is true of almost every Murrica city.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:06 pm 
Major General
Major General

PBFMullethunter wrote:
Slacks wrote:

You can’t live close to the city center because the city center is shit. So you live 30 miles out in a low density suburban area where decent transit is impractical. This is true of almost every Murrica city.

Needs Musk tunnels then

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:07 pm 
Major
Major

Quote:
="Holyman"

If you used your rational faculties, you would not be able to ignore the overwhelming scientific consensus, the Geopolitical ("Marxist dopes at the UN") consensus, or the vested interest that U.S. corporations and politicians have in telling you, "It ain't all that bad."

<:-P

"Overwhelming scientific consensus" like that US National Climate Assessment you been banging on all week using the most extreme outlier of 16 degree warming to cause 10% damage in US GDP?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:11 pm 
Major
Major

Htown0666 wrote:
I'm going to make sure Foota gets his natural gas without using trucks or trains all whilst getting a tax exemption for wildlife
Anyone need carbon credits?

I need all your sweet and beautiful natural gas to run my power plants in California so I can charge up my little electric car I might get in a few weeks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:14 pm 
Major
Major

Slacks wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:
Slacks wrote:

Needs Musk tunnels then

No - need my Uber air drones! America is way too large.

It's coming.

I keep telling you old-world primitives that you need to think much bigger.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:25 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

PBFMullethunter wrote:
Well, Germany has Das Autobahn UND good trains.

Germany is also tiny. Quite a few US states and Canadian provinces absolutely dwarf the place in geographic size.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:40 pm 
Major
Major

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:44 pm 
Major General
Major General

Murrica would be surrounded by brown people. NOT GOOD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:50 pm 
Major
Major

Slacks wrote:

Did you see where the UK and Canada landed?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:52 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Foota wrote:
Slacks wrote:

We’d do a better job with the place than the current inhabitants.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:53 pm 
Major General
Major General

Foota wrote:
Slacks wrote:

I like SE Asian cuisine, so I can live with Iran being one of the neighbours.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:58 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Slacks wrote:
Foota wrote:
Slacks wrote:

wut

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:59 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Slacks wrote:
Foota wrote:
Slacks wrote:

But UK ended up in Central Africa, specifically the Sahel region. Half the place is desert, the other not much better.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:58 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

We just need to stop making so many people

- Donald Trump

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next