It is currently Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:27 am

All times are UTC+01:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1119 posts ]  Go to page Previous 139 40 41 42 4345 Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Pollution
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:48 pm 
Offline
Colonel
Colonel
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:00 pm
Posts: 20598
Slacks wrote:
Sounds like a load of hot air to me



You're not wrong. Wildfires/bushfires are a part of nature that is often poorly understood if understood at all in environmentalist circles. They see a eucalyptus grove or a stand of lodgepole pine on fire and immediately they think there's no way it's natural, that it must be global warming/climate change.

With regards to Australia, as far as I've learned, the bush has many things in common with the Desert and Rocky Mountain West of North America ecologically speaking. A lot of dryland ecology and where there are forests, fire is a part of that ecology. And like the Southwest and Rocky Mountains, if fire is being excessive there's a reason for it on the ground. Chiefly an overabundance of growth unhindered by fires big or small. This is caused by one of two things, either a year or years of excessive rainfall leading to excessive plant growth or humans not tending the forests and wilderness with regards to dry fuels. The last part often goes hand in hand with the first one. Poor forestry practices in much of the world are the primary cause of massive destructive wildfires in terms of why they get so intense. I see this effect firsthand in the Colorado Rockies, so many dead and fallen trees that would've otherwise burned long ago had we never operated on a complete fire suppression mentality. (Or stopped logging with a complete fire suppression mentality augmenting it. The worst of both problems.) Likewise because we don't cut down and haul out those dead trees for easy timber, they stay there and become ever more a fire danger in the long run.

_________________
Ill sell ya the rope with which you shall hang yourself.
Capitalism for the Win.

PCNC and PBF live in death!


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Pollution
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:37 pm 
Online
Colonel
Colonel
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:00 pm
Posts: 21610
Location: teh internet
Those bogans need to start carrying their weight a bit more and rake the forests.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Pollution
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:46 pm 
Offline
Major General
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:00 pm
Posts: 34795
SomeGuy wrote:
Slacks wrote:
Sounds like a load of hot air to me



You're not wrong. Wildfires/bushfires are a part of nature that is often poorly understood if understood at all in environmentalist circles. They see a eucalyptus grove or a stand of lodgepole pine on fire and immediately they think there's no way it's natural, that it must be global warming/climate change.

With regards to Australia, as far as I've learned, the bush has many things in common with the Desert and Rocky Mountain West of North America ecologically speaking. A lot of dryland ecology and where there are forests, fire is a part of that ecology. And like the Southwest and Rocky Mountains, if fire is being excessive there's a reason for it on the ground. Chiefly an overabundance of growth unhindered by fires big or small. This is caused by one of two things, either a year or years of excessive rainfall leading to excessive plant growth or humans not tending the forests and wilderness with regards to dry fuels. The last part often goes hand in hand with the first one. Poor forestry practices in much of the world are the primary cause of massive destructive wildfires in terms of why they get so intense. I see this effect firsthand in the Colorado Rockies, so many dead and fallen trees that would've otherwise burned long ago had we never operated on a complete fire suppression mentality. (Or stopped logging with a complete fire suppression mentality augmenting it. The worst of both problems.) Likewise because we don't cut down and haul out those dead trees for easy timber, they stay there and become ever more a fire danger in the long run.


Image

_________________
Norks


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Pollution
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:57 pm 
Offline
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:42 am
Posts: 27031
SomeGuy wrote:
Slacks wrote:
Sounds like a load of hot air to me



You're not wrong. Wildfires/bushfires are a part of nature that is often poorly understood if understood at all in environmentalist circles. They see a eucalyptus grove or a stand of lodgepole pine on fire and immediately they think there's no way it's natural, that it must be global warming/climate change.

With regards to Australia, as far as I've learned, the bush has many things in common with the Desert and Rocky Mountain West of North America ecologically speaking. A lot of dryland ecology and where there are forests, fire is a part of that ecology. And like the Southwest and Rocky Mountains, if fire is being excessive there's a reason for it on the ground. Chiefly an overabundance of growth unhindered by fires big or small. This is caused by one of two things, either a year or years of excessive rainfall leading to excessive plant growth or humans not tending the forests and wilderness with regards to dry fuels. The last part often goes hand in hand with the first one. Poor forestry practices in much of the world are the primary cause of massive destructive wildfires in terms of why they get so intense. I see this effect firsthand in the Colorado Rockies, so many dead and fallen trees that would've otherwise burned long ago had we never operated on a complete fire suppression mentality. (Or stopped logging with a complete fire suppression mentality augmenting it. The worst of both problems.) Likewise because we don't cut down and haul out those dead trees for easy timber, they stay there and become ever more a fire danger in the long run.






Fascinating .....





Image

_________________
Empir immoto


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Pollution
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:11 pm 
Offline
Major General
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:00 pm
Posts: 34795
Quote:
The 10 years to the end of 2019 have been confirmed as the warmest decade on record by three global agencies.

According to Nasa, Noaa and the UK Met Office, last year was the second warmest in a record dating back to 1850.

The past five years were the hottest in the 170-year series, with the average of each one more than 1C warmer than pre-industrial.

Having the long term data from three different agencies with different methodologies gives them confidence in the accuracy of their findings.

"We are confident that the world has warmed by about 1C since the late nineteenth century because different methods of working out the global temperature give very similar results."


https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51111176

_________________
Norks


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Pollution
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:35 pm 
Offline
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:42 am
Posts: 27031
Slacks wrote:
Quote:
The 10 years to the end of 2019 have been confirmed as the warmest decade on record by three global agencies.

According to Nasa, Noaa and the UK Met Office, last year was the second warmest in a record dating back to 1850.

The past five years were the hottest in the 170-year series, with the average of each one more than 1C warmer than pre-industrial.

Having the long term data from three different agencies with different methodologies gives them confidence in the accuracy of their findings.

"We are confident that the world has warmed by about 1C since the late nineteenth century because different methods of working out the global temperature give very similar results."


https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51111176




I'll wait for Someguys findings thanks..

_________________
Empir immoto


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Pollution
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:31 pm 
Offline
Colonel
Colonel
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:00 pm
Posts: 20598
Slacks wrote:
Quote:
The 10 years to the end of 2019 have been confirmed as the warmest decade on record by three global agencies.

According to Nasa, Noaa and the UK Met Office, last year was the second warmest in a record dating back to 1850.

The past five years were the hottest in the 170-year series, with the average of each one more than 1C warmer than pre-industrial.

Having the long term data from three different agencies with different methodologies gives them confidence in the accuracy of their findings.

"We are confident that the world has warmed by about 1C since the late nineteenth century because different methods of working out the global temperature give very similar results."


https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51111176


I call BS. A little over 5 years ago we had the coldest November since before the First World War. Last year we had the coldest May and June in decades. This past October was the coldest and wettest since the Blizzard of '97.

Are they idiots? Incompetents? Or are they blindly trusting their instrumentation sites despite things like the heat island effect of urbanization? For example, if you're trusting the instrumentation out of Denver you'd need to realize it's been having an almost runaway heat island effect for the past 30 years owing to rampant urbanization of the area. Meanwhile if you're checking somewhere rural and small or even out in the wilderness, things haven't changed much temp wise in the same time frame. For example I highly doubt they've taken a thermometer up to the summit of Mt. Elbert every day and gotten precise readings for daily highs or lows up there. I know firsthand there's no weather instrumentation up there.

_________________
Ill sell ya the rope with which you shall hang yourself.
Capitalism for the Win.

PCNC and PBF live in death!


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Pollution
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:51 pm 
Offline
Major General
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:00 pm
Posts: 34795
SomeGuy wrote:
Slacks wrote:
Quote:
The 10 years to the end of 2019 have been confirmed as the warmest decade on record by three global agencies.

According to Nasa, Noaa and the UK Met Office, last year was the second warmest in a record dating back to 1850.

The past five years were the hottest in the 170-year series, with the average of each one more than 1C warmer than pre-industrial.

Having the long term data from three different agencies with different methodologies gives them confidence in the accuracy of their findings.

"We are confident that the world has warmed by about 1C since the late nineteenth century because different methods of working out the global temperature give very similar results."


https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51111176


I call BS. A little over 5 years ago we had the coldest November since before the First World War. Last year we had the coldest May and June in decades. This past October was the coldest and wettest since the Blizzard of '97.

Are they idiots? Incompetents? Or are they blindly trusting their instrumentation sites despite things like the heat island effect of urbanization? For example, if you're trusting the instrumentation out of Denver you'd need to realize it's been having an almost runaway heat island effect for the past 30 years owing to rampant urbanization of the area. Meanwhile if you're checking somewhere rural and small or even out in the wilderness, things haven't changed much temp wise in the same time frame. For example I highly doubt they've taken a thermometer up to the summit of Mt. Elbert every day and gotten precise readings for daily highs or lows up there. I know firsthand there's no weather instrumentation up there.


Three different methodologies coming to a similar conclusion gives the report added legitimacy.

Also they talk of AVERAGE temperatures. You can have colder winters but still have a higher AVERAGE temperature over a period of time.

_________________
Norks


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Pollution
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:53 pm 
Offline
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:40 pm
Posts: 17799
One degree warming since 1850??

Are we coming out of an ice age or not?

Ice was a mile high where I was born a few thousand years ago.

I want a warmer planet. I don't want to suffer like tgrant and Mullet.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Pollution
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:14 pm 
Online
Colonel
Colonel
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:00 pm
Posts: 21610
Location: teh internet
Foota wrote:
One degree warming since 1850??

Are we coming out of an ice age or not?

Ice was a mile high where I was born a few thousand years ago.

I want a warmer planet. I don't want to suffer like tgrant and Mullet.


You want all of Central America coming to San Diego because their place got too steamy?


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Pollution
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:42 pm 
Offline
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:40 pm
Posts: 17799
PBFMullethunter wrote:
Foota wrote:
One degree warming since 1850??

Are we coming out of an ice age or not?

Ice was a mile high where I was born a few thousand years ago.

I want a warmer planet. I don't want to suffer like tgrant and Mullet.


You want all of Central America coming to San Diego because their place got too steamy?


Thought they were supposed to all drown from rising sea levels?

More of Canada will open up to make room. You need some diversity beyond Asians.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Pollution
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:04 pm 
Offline
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:42 am
Posts: 27031
Foota wrote:
One degree warming since 1850??

Are we coming out of an ice age or not?

Ice was a mile high where I was born a few thousand years ago.

I want a warmer planet. I don't want to suffer like tgrant and Mullet.




What a fucking ignoramus statement.

_________________
Empir immoto


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Pollution
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:28 am 
Offline
Holyman
Holyman
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:00 pm
Posts: 17788
Location: Earth
Sir David Attenborough seems quite upset.

But what would he know about the Natural World?

X|X

_________________
Image

"We are moving into an era where authority cannot be the Truth.

Only the Truth shall be the Authority in coming times, as the sanctity of all authorities will be questioned."
- Sadhguru


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Pollution
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:50 pm 
Offline
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:40 pm
Posts: 17799
Holyman wrote:
Sir David Attenborough seems quite upset.

But what would he know about the Natural World?

X|X


How Dare YOU!

I'm always told that if I am not a "climatologist" to shut the fuck up about Global Warming.

Only autistic children from Sweden are allowed to break that rule.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Pollution
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:00 pm 
Offline
Major General
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:00 pm
Posts: 34795
Foota wrote:
I'm always told....to shut the fuck up


Paraphrased for truth








()x()

_________________
Norks


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Pollution
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:46 pm 
Offline
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:42 am
Posts: 27031
Foota wrote:
Holyman wrote:
Sir David Attenborough seems quite upset.

But what would he know about the Natural World?

X|X


How Dare YOU!

I'm always told that if I am not a "climatologist" to shut the fuck up about Global Warming.

Only autistic children from Sweden are allowed to break that rule.

Cos you are misinformed

_________________
Empir immoto


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Pollution
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:07 pm 
Offline
Holyman
Holyman
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:00 pm
Posts: 17788
Location: Earth
And neither someone who has spent a Lifetime understanding the Natural Environment, or a National Treasure.

Soz.

:-??

_________________
Image

"We are moving into an era where authority cannot be the Truth.

Only the Truth shall be the Authority in coming times, as the sanctity of all authorities will be questioned."
- Sadhguru


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Pollution
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:58 pm 
Online
Colonel
Colonel
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:00 pm
Posts: 21610
Location: teh internet
Bet he’s never even been to an Area of Exquisite and Wonderful Natural Beauty.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Pollution
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:17 am 
Offline
Holyman
Holyman
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:00 pm
Posts: 17788
Location: Earth
I'll bet he's been to *EVERY* area of Exquisite and Wonderful Natural Beauty on the Planet.

With a film crew!!

^:)^

_________________
Image

"We are moving into an era where authority cannot be the Truth.

Only the Truth shall be the Authority in coming times, as the sanctity of all authorities will be questioned."
- Sadhguru


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Pollution
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:19 pm 
Online
Colonel
Colonel
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:00 pm
Posts: 21610
Location: teh internet
Holyman wrote:
I'll bet he's been to *EVERY* area of Exquisite and Wonderful Natural Beauty on the Planet.

With a film crew!!

^:)^


No I meant Foota.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Pollution
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:59 pm 
Offline
Holyman
Holyman
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:00 pm
Posts: 17788
Location: Earth
Oh... Yes... That makes more sense.

I suspect Foota may have visited such places; but he doesn't usually sound like he fully appreciated what he saw.

Sir David can help him with that.

:-bd

_________________
Image

"We are moving into an era where authority cannot be the Truth.

Only the Truth shall be the Authority in coming times, as the sanctity of all authorities will be questioned."
- Sadhguru


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Pollution
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:26 pm 
Offline
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:40 pm
Posts: 17799
I live in one of the most beautiful places on earth.

I know natural beauty when I see it.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Pollution
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:39 pm 
Offline
Major General
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:00 pm
Posts: 34795
Foota wrote:
I live in one of the most beautiful places on earth.


It's pretty good.

_________________
Norks


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Pollution
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:53 pm 
Offline
Holyman
Holyman
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:00 pm
Posts: 17788
Location: Earth
Foota wrote:
I know natural beauty when I see it.


There's a big difference between knowing, and Understanding.

o:-)

_________________
Image

"We are moving into an era where authority cannot be the Truth.

Only the Truth shall be the Authority in coming times, as the sanctity of all authorities will be questioned."
- Sadhguru


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Pollution
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:31 pm 
Offline
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:40 pm
Posts: 17799
Holyman wrote:
Foota wrote:
I know natural beauty when I see it.


There's a big difference between knowing, and Understanding.

o:-)


Try paddling out in big surf. You UNDERSTAND the power, beauty and destructive abilities of nature very quickly.

Try standing chest deep in raw sewage 100 feet below the ground calibrating sensors. Try working on water infrastructure in 3rd world countries like Mexico. You UNDERSTAND pollution and the complexity of what it takes to sustain an environmentally clean society very quickly.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1119 posts ]  Go to page Previous 139 40 41 42 4345 Next

All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: PBFMullethunter and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited