Awesome Success 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Moderate Success 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
Dead and Gone by SG’s Inauguration 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
Total votes: 10
 Post subject: Tesla
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:49 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Seems they’ve got some money issues... maybe cuz they’ve hardly made jack shit in the way of product in all the years they’ve been in business?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesl ... SKBN1JI013

I’ve felt for years that Musk is a con man... a “visionary” who doesn’t really have a fucking clue but he’ll happily take your money. Hyperloop!

Post subject: Re: Tesla
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:05 am 
Sergeant First-Class
Sergeant First-Class

I picked moderate success but don't know. The model 3 is what I had been waiting for as it was supposed to be the everyone car. It is way too expensive and by replacing all controls with a touch screen makes the driving experience worse.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:49 pm 
Major
Major

I voted moderate success. Sure, no other car company could have survived without the government subsidies plus all the cash from a billionaire investor like Musk. But when was the last time a new car company entered the market space? Teslas are everywhere on my commute. I saw some in the Midwest when I was in Chicago and Indianapolis last week too.

I absolutely hate all the government subsidies, but the car (all models) are absolutely bitchin to drive and would be what I would drive if I had that kind of scratch. If nothing else, it is raising the bar on what we expect in battery car performance.

Tesla is just a side project IMO. What Musk has already achieved with SpaceX is astounding.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:16 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Prediction: Drumpf will purchase SpaceX for teh Space Force.

Or rather, it will get so much government funding that it is all it will become.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:23 pm 
Major General
Major General

I reckon Tesla will do ok for now, but once Volkswagen start churning out electric cars in days what Tesla can produce in a year I reckon they'll become more of a niche product.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:02 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Slacks wrote:
I reckon Tesla will do ok for now, but once Volkswagen start churning out electric cars in days what Tesla can produce in a year I reckon they'll become more of a niche product.

Aren’t they already a niche market for people who like really expensive stuff that randomly blows up?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:42 pm 
Major General
Major General

PBFMullethunter wrote:
Slacks wrote:

Aren’t they already a niche market for people who like really expensive stuff that randomly blows up?

What I meant is that they're not ever gonna be a mainstream car manufacturer. There'll be electric VWs and Fords whining about the road, Teslas will be there too but not in big numbers.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:52 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

That will be so cool when you can get in the Hyperloop in London and be in New York in 11 minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:30 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

they only exist due to government subsidy

Trump is going to lose to Hillary in a landslide, he is literally the only candidate who could have lost to her, we will have 4-8 more years of lefty insanity, possible lose the congress, and have a liberal dominated supreme court for a generation.

And I fucking blame you fuckwits who voted for Trump in the primary, classic low information voter.

We need pull taxes, to cull the opinions of DINDU's and inbred Trump supporters. >>::$

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:31 am 
Major General
Major General

PBFMullethunter wrote:
That will be so cool when you can get in the Hyperloop in London and be in New York in 11 minutes.

I reckon that people will reckon they can travel quickly from a to B I reckon. What do you reckon?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:31 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Slacks wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:

I reckon that people will reckon they can travel quickly from a to B I reckon. What do you reckon?

I’m gonna report this

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:51 pm 
Major General
Major General

PBFMullethunter wrote:
Slacks wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:

I’m gonna report this

It will be discussed extensively by the mods

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:40 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

I think Tesla as company has some incredible foresight and is on the cutting edge of innovation. Their downfall is and always has been taking those visions and translating them in scalable production. If they could find someone on par with the talent Elon has for creatively in the field of mass production we'd be flipping the bird to Middle Eastern oil in 5-7 years.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:48 pm 
Major General
Major General

LeadMagnet wrote:
I think Tesla as company has some incredible foresight and is on the cutting edge of innovation. Their downfall is and always has been taking those visions and translating them in scalable production. If they could find someone on par with the talent Elon has for creatively in the field of mass production we'd be flipping the bird to Middle Eastern oil in 5-7 years.

VW have the means to mass produce electric cars. Sure they won't be the cutting edge in terms of touch screens and driver aides (maybe), but they will cars nonetheless and probably more affordable due to some epic economies of scale. And cars without stupid electric gull-wing doors. Why Tesla added those is anyone's guess.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:53 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Slacks wrote:
LeadMagnet wrote:

VW have the means to mass produce electric cars. Sure they won't be the cutting edge in terms of touch screens and driver aides (maybe), but they will cars nonetheless and probably more affordable due to some epic economies of scale. And cars without stupid electric gull-wing doors. Why Tesla added those is anyone's guess.

So people could feel like it was $100K well spent, duh.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:55 pm 
Major
Major

Slacks wrote:
LeadMagnet wrote:

VW have the means to mass produce electric cars. Sure they won't be the cutting edge in terms of touch screens and driver aides (maybe), but they will cars nonetheless. And cars without stupid electric gull-wing doors. Why Tesla added those is anyone's guess.

It's way more than the touch screens. It's the fastest (and smoothest) thing I have ever driven or ridden in.

phpBB [video]

Besides, the Krauts at VW couldn't even design a diesel engine with decent performance without massive cheating and fraud.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44005844

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:00 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

That's cuz diesel is shit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:56 pm 
Major General
Major General

Foota wrote:
Slacks wrote:
LeadMagnet wrote:

VW have the means to mass produce electric cars. Sure they won't be the cutting edge in terms of touch screens and driver aides (maybe), but they will cars nonetheless. And cars without stupid electric gull-wing doors. Why Tesla added those is anyone's guess.

It's way more than the touch screens. It's the fastest (and smoothest) thing I have ever driven or ridden in.

Probably the only premium electric saloon you've been driven in though?

Whichever way you cut it they won't be able to compete in volume and economies of scale compared to mainstream car manufacturers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:02 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

What's the point of having a fast car if you don't have access to a closed race track?

I've never hit top speed in any car I've owned.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:08 pm 
Major General
Major General

PBFMullethunter wrote:
What's the point of having a fast car if you don't have access to a closed race track?

Agreed.

With electric cars though it's the delivery of the performance. It's a flat power delivery all the way through. Not sure about the whiney noise they make.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:29 am 
Colonel
Colonel

It's moreabout flat out raw exceleration...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:10 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

PBFMullethunter wrote:

I have. It was a cold morning in January and I was headed for a ski trip and I was late for the bus stop so I went as fast as the car could physically allow. About 115 mph. I don't know if the car (1993 Mazda Protege) had an engine governor or just was physically incapable of hitting the top of the dial (160 mph) but that's as fast as I could ever get out of it. (The car felt like it was trying to shift gears higher but had no more gears left to shift to.)

Fortunately at 6 am the Colorado Highway Patrol are in the middle of shift switches so you can go about as fast as you want and rarely, rarely does anyone ever get pulled over at that time of day.

PCNC and PBF live in death!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:17 am 
Major
Major

barcelona wrote:

This.

I've never felt anything like it in any other fast car I've been in.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:21 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Foota wrote:
barcelona wrote:

This.

Like being in a jet? Don’t get me wrong, I like kickass acceleration too; I just wouldn’t pay extra for it when it’s not really practical.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:08 am 
Colonel
Colonel

PBFMullethunter wrote:
Foota wrote:
barcelona wrote:

This.

Like being in a jet? Don’t get me wrong, I like kickass acceleration too; I just wouldn’t pay extra for it when it’s not really practical.

Off the traffic lights....

Come on

I tuned a mini in my youth to be a monster off the lights.