It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:50 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

So on the day you started this thread (May 2nd), I weighed just shy of 22 stone (300lbs / 140kg).

As I type this today, I weigh 16 stone (224lbs / 102kg).

I stopped eating anything white (bread, pasta, rice, potatoes &c.), anything made of wheat, and *ALMOST* completely eliminated any dairy intake.

At the same time, I have been taking concentrated vegetable and fruit extracts in pill form, once a day, from these guys:

https://www.juiceplus.com/gb/en (They're a German company.)

I went through a burst of sorting out our garden ahead of Holyfest... And sweated a lot of shit out my system in that hot, hot sun...

Then there's been the whole Virtuous Circle thing with Holywoman... The more the weight drops off me, the more she jumps on me... <Q\M>

And, err... That's about it.

A little bit of mental re-calibration, like:

"Don't keep eating until you feel full; keep eating until you no longer feel hungry."

But nothing too technical or liturgical, because thinking about weight loss/fitness is just about the worse thing for me. I'll reason and resolve and retroactively justify... All the live long day really... And then count that as part of my "Activity Routine" for the day.

So not listening to my mind on matters concerning physical fitness and well-being was certainly an important place for me to start this time around.

My mind can come up with a solid justification for inactivity, in just about any situation. That was just about the *ONLY* useful skill I picked up in my school days... But only as a skill for survival, not for construction.

So I stopped listening to all the counter-veiling arguments and general bickering in my mind, about the Most Effective & Sustainable Course of Action...

And just got on with it.

And haven't really been thinking much about the process of weight loss, returning to fitness &c., I've just been compulsively responding to my intuition, at any given moment, with regards whatever shit I'm considering stuffing in my pie-hole.

Seems to be working out okay. I haven't been this light since my early twenties...

:D

"Never trust what you believe. Trust only what you understand." - Me, 2018

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:54 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Holyman wrote:
So on the day you started this thread (May 2nd), I weighed just shy of 22 stone (300lbs / 140kg).

Fatarse. :D

Holyman wrote:

Better, that's in the vicinity of where I'm presently at, give or take a kilogram or two.

PCNC and PBF live in death!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:06 pm 
Major General
Major General

Holyman wrote:

Nice one :-bd

I'm still fat. I get into a good routine and then get thrown off way too easily.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:07 pm 
Major General
Major General

SomeGuy wrote:
Better, that's in the vicinity of where I'm presently at, give or take a kilogram or two.

But do you have a yoga instructor pounding on you and riding your balls blue?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:37 pm 
Major
Major

Holyman wrote:

:D

Damn! That is some impressive weight loss.

Well done!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:08 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

SomeGuy wrote:
Holyman wrote:

Fatarse. :D

Holyman wrote:

Fix your avatar for Christ’s sake. Here, how about this?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:10 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I'm currently at 12 1/2 stone and that's with drinking too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:57 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

WTF is a stone again?

I’ve been around 160-165 for about the last 5 years which is maybe one stone overweight.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:12 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

PBFMullethunter wrote:
WTF is a stone again?

I’ve been around 160-165 for about the last 5 years which is maybe one stone overweight.

14 lbs in a stone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:19 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

My loose maths work that out to be the fastest recommended rate of fat loss (1KG/week), I'd often say if someone achieves half that rate, they are doing very well. So go you.

I remember you telling me you telling me you didn't really try anything, you just decided to get your garden in order, bonus!

Did you feel tired? Hungry? Weak? Sleep more? etc etc? As it is bloody great progress and for a pretty long time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:04 am 
Holyman
Holyman

Wunderschlung wrote:
My loose maths work that out to be the fastest recommended rate of fat loss (1KG/week), I'd often say if someone achieves half that rate, they are doing very well. So go you.

:">

Wunderschlung wrote:
I remember you telling me you telling me you didn't really try anything, you just decided to get your garden in order, bonus!

Did you feel tired? Hungry? Weak? Sleep more? etc etc? As it is bloody great progress and for a pretty long time.

Yup, that’s where it all started, with getting the garden in shape.

Staring at the treadmill, exercise bike and heavy-bag in my garage just never inspired me to get off my fat arse… But physical activity to produce tangible results (tidier garden), just seemed like the right thing to do.

Cutting out wheat-based stuff significantly reduced the feeling of bloatedness, and going Cold Turkey on cheese was a big shift forward.

HW’s got me bending and stretching now… (And I get bonus House Points for joining in her Yoga warm-ups…)

But truth be told, I’d say the bulk of the weight has been lost because I’ve rediscovered my Dancing Shoes…

Pretty much every weekend since Holyfest (with a couple of exceptions) has been spent at a festival, concert or club. And ‘cos HW is… Quite a good dancer… I’m sort of compelled to try and keep up with her.

12 hours of throwing shapes is usually good for losing half-a-stone or so. Lot of that is water, which obviously gets replaced, but a lot of lard melts as well, which isn’t then replaced.

Strutting my stuff is also a nice, gentle way to reactivate all my dormant muscles. They used to be quite solid when I was playing rugby and fighting… And the temptation is to leap back to my Golden Age Movements… But that approach has proved strenuous in the past…

So dancing and fucking to bring everything back to life; Yoga to activate and vitalise all the connecting bits. And when I’m ready, I’ll be getting back into Martial Arts (for fitness, rather than competition…).

Not really feeling tired… The opposite really… I seem to be managing quite comfortably on 3-4 hours’ sleep a day.

As for feeling hungry…

Well yes, I’m still human… But I think the most critical factor with all my weight loss has been changing my mental attitude towards food and eating.

When you’re a fat bastard, there’s this constant, overshadowing injunction against eating (‘cos you’re already too fat…). So we fatties tend to wait and wait until we’re *REALLY* hungry, and *THEN* decide what we’re going to be eating…

Problem then was that I would prepare myself a mountain of food, and scoff the lot (having been raised to always clear my plate &c…).

Before his downfall, the comedian Louis C.K. had this bit in one of his routines where he talks about a fact he heard, which is that it takes the stomach 20 minutes to tell the brain that it is full…

Which seems to make sense. Can recall many occasions when I really had eaten my fill, but my brain didn’t seem to be passing that information on to my eating apparatus.

New approach then, is to eat slower (HW promotes 40 chews per mouthful…), eat only until I no longer feel hungry, and if I’m really on the case, eat a little something just *BEFORE* I start to feel hungry.

And I think that’s what I was gabbling on about in my previous post. My mind can easily rationalise its way around anything. I needed some way to thwart it from thwarting me…

And recalibrating my mind with “Eat until you are no longer hungry.”, instead of, “Eat until you feel full.”, seems to have check-mated it!!

I’ve made my mind my bitch, instead of being my mind’s bitch.

B-)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:18 am 
Major General
Major General

I was doing ok and list half a stone until a couple of weeks back when I went to a couple of 2 day conferences, which always comes with copious amounts of booze and nice food. And then it was my birthday which meant a couple more meals out and more booze.

Back on it today, and will just try and have to work my way around a work dinner next week and a curry with mates

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:57 am 
Holyman
Holyman

Positive Mental Attitude Slacks.

Just because the food and booze is laid on, doesn't mean you are required to break step.

Set yourself a target of going to a work event or out with mates, and sticking to what you want to do, rather than blowing out.

Drink water instead of booze, choose lighter dishes, and don't feel compelled to clear your plate.

Get through one evening like that, and you'll have demonstrated to yourself its possible, and next time will be easier.

It's the "excuses" our minds come up with to suspend our diets and wellness regimes that really nail us fatties to the couch.

Have to listen to our bodies when it comes to physical matters, not our minds.

:-bd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:19 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Pretty impressive results HM. I've had to adjust my diet as well as I'm nowhere near as active as I used to be in my prime. I've also shied away from carbs (bread, potatoes, rice etc) and have been taking this vitamin supplement to compensate. I find it helps keep my energy levels high and aids with a high protein diet.

https://www.popeyescanada.com/sd-pharma-ketones-vitamin-b6-b12-150g-60-servings-unflavoured.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:38 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

Yup, I think the JuicePlus supplements I've been taking are what has stopped me feeling tired or weak.

I'd be quite happy to consume all my food intake in pill form.

=P~

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:15 pm 
Major General
Major General

Dry January starts today. Yes it's a day late, but better than nothing. Given the consistent nature of my heavy drinking these past few weeks I'm anticipating a sweaty night ahead. Sometimes going cold turkey can result in nodding off easier but sometimes it's the opposite. Will feel great in 3 days, then need to work on my almighty midriff.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:41 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Slacks wrote:
Dry January starts today. Yes it's a day late, but better than nothing. Given the consistent nature of my heavy drinking these past few weeks I'm anticipating a sweaty night ahead. Sometimes going cold turkey can result in nodding off easier but sometimes it's the opposite. Will feel great in 3 days, then need to work on my almighty midriff.

You won't sleep well tonight...good luck though. O{DC}O

I'll have an extra drink for you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:05 pm 
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Let's celebrate this occasion with a pint!

belonged to someone yesterday
and will be someone else’s tomorrow

Change is the Law of The Universe

-------------------------------------------------

“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:10 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

tgrant wrote:
Let's celebrate this occasion with a pint!

Cheers big ears O{DC}O

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:24 pm 
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

O{DC}O

....how did you know about my ears...

belonged to someone yesterday
and will be someone else’s tomorrow

Change is the Law of The Universe

-------------------------------------------------

“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:29 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

tgrant wrote:
O{DC}O

....how did you know about my ears...

Your wife told me.....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:12 am 
Major General
Major General

barcelona wrote:
Slacks wrote:

You won't sleep well tonight...good luck though. O{DC}O

Slept like a log. A deep sleep too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:53 am 
Holyman
Holyman

Slacks wrote:

Stay.

Off.

The.

Booze.

It's a Gateway Drug.

[-X

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:14 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Holyman wrote:
Slacks wrote:

Stay.

Off.

The.

Booze.

It's a Gateway Drug.

[-X

Gateway to Happiness!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:16 am 
Holyman
Holyman

Gateway to pies & kebabs...

=P~

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next