It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:36 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:12 pm 
Major General
Major General

As part of my assessment for my knee op in June I had my blood pressure taken. You know it's not good when the nurse inhales sharply, and indeed my reading of 171/107 is ridiculously high, and dangerous.

I'm not surprised it's high as I seem to have taken a holiday from eating and drinking sensibly for about 6 months and utterly piled on the weight. Fat bastard.

All wholegrains, fruit, veg and no salt from here on. And no booze for a while. Bah.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:22 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Yeesh. When I did a physical for work a few years ago they took my blood pressure and it was like 157 over 100. I was stressed out from work, sick from something going around and a bit fatigued at the time. They wanted to put me on medication, I told them to fuck off. (Not that exact wording, but I did decline.)

Since then I've been trying to keep up on exercise and a bit better health. I don't know what my blood pressure is now but I can tell you it feels a lot better than it did during that day. I felt high-strung at that thing, I haven't felt that way since.

Especially since I got a FitBit for my birthday last year and I am routinely keeping a resting heart rate of 71 or less and building/maintaining a rate of exercise of 5 days a week of either long walks, biking, running or something else. I have the step counter on it set to 10,000 and almost every day it gives me the "Overachiever!" message because I'm anywhere from 2500 to 11000 steps over the goal.

PCNC and PBF live in death!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:44 pm 
Major General
Major General

SomeGuy wrote:
Yeesh. When I did a physical for work a few years ago they took my blood pressure and it was like 157 over 100. I was stressed out from work, sick from something going around and a bit fatigued at the time. They wanted to put me on medication, I told them to fuck off. (Not that exact wording, but I did decline.)

Since then I've been trying to keep up on exercise and a bit better health. I don't know what my blood pressure is now but I can tell you it feels a lot better than it did during that day. I felt high-strung at that thing, I haven't felt that way since.

Especially since I got a FitBit for my birthday last year and I am routinely keeping a resting heart rate of 71 or less and building/maintaining a rate of exercise of 5 days a week of either long walks, biking, running or something else. I have the step counter on it set to 10,000 and almost every day it gives me the "Overachiever!" message because I'm anywhere from 2500 to 11000 steps over the goal.

Excellent :-bd My BP was fine 6 months ago when I was 2st lighter so I know I don't need meds, just discipline.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:49 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Don't stress out about it Slacks, literally.

For a start there is a phenomenon known as "white coat syndrome", where you tense up getting your BP taken by a doctor or nurse which will raise your BP during the test. Even driving through traffic to get there can raise it to unnaturally high levels. So an astute GP will shave ten or more points off the readings.

I had the same thing during my last GP visit, 140/94 (and I usually had low or normal BP for most of my life) so I bought a fancy blood pressure monitor to check my resting BP at home when I was properly calm...

The results were way lower than at the doctor's office.

Even then, you should ignore the early tests at home, because the stress of expectation and the machine squeezing your arm can skew the results (they say to ignore the first twelve results). Given that 120/80 or so is considered normal, look at my results at home and see how it changes as I calmed down as I got used to it..and I'm almost 66 years old and have a short fuse.

Edit: Each test was of three readings taken a few minutes apart.

Systolic Diastolic

144 98
132 94
127 86

125 87
130 85
124 89

132 84
116 81
118 85

123 80
116 83
116 78

132 87
124 84
122 82

119 81
128 83
118 83

116/78 at best when relaxed. Spot on.

Anyway, look it up on YouTube and learn what you can do naturally to lower BP. Diet, lack of booze, a bit of exercise and a low carb diet, plus especially magnesium supplements, plus other things will work wonders. Also learning not to get stressed by life and you will get it under control. Ffs don't get sucked into BP medications (at least in the long term) as they will only show lower figures which will please your GP but not your body, as it will not address the underlying cause...and certainly not cure you.

>:D<

Last edited by El Sid on Wed May 02, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:23 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Oh, must add that fruit is NOT healthy in any more quantities than as treats, as fructose (separate from glucose in fruit) metabolises completely differently than other sugars/carbohydrates, fructose is NOT used for energy, like glucose. It's a con by "big food" to link it with veggies, so they deliberately got it linked to the "healthy fruit and vegetables" line. Same goes with any "food" that contains high fructose corn syrup. Fruit was always a seasonal treat, not a staple in our natural diet. For one thing fructose lowers the production of nitrous oxide in the blood stream, which is a vasodilator and so lowers blood pressure. Stay well away from sugar and a high carb diet.

So called "healthy grains" are bullshit too.

Eat real foods and avoid as much as possible anything that comes in a box or a packet.

Get onto dietdoctor.com

https://www.dietdoctor.com/

Especially on blood pressure:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/blood-pressure

My Tassie mate, Gary Fettke:

phpBB [video]

Last edited by El Sid on Wed May 02, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:34 pm 
Major General
Major General

ffs just bought a load of apples and bananas and a box of All Bran.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:12 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Slacks wrote:
ffs just bought a load of apples and bananas and a box of All Bran.

lol

Sugar raises your blood glucose levels and you produce insulin to lower it to normal and insulin stops fat burning in its tracks, so you convert that sugar into fat storage.

Get onto DietDoctor and learn how to shed the fat like magic and eat until you are full, with yummy food.

I can lose up to a kilogram a week eating bacon, eggs, cream and steak..and just 20 grams of carbs a day. I'm full. No carbs, no hunger and no fat storage, rather fat burning instead. Insulin from sugar makes you fat, not fat (in the absence of carbs). Weird but true.

Tonight's meal was grain fed beef burgers (with added mushroom and garlic) cooked in cream along with fried cabbage:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-hamburger-patties-tomato-sauce-cabbage

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:22 pm 
Major General
Major General

I've done the low carb diet a couple of times. Always works a charm, so I should probably stick to what I know works.

The wife and I are doing a veggie month which doesn't help.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:26 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Desk jobs kill. Become a surf instructor.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:05 pm 
Major
Major

PBFMullethunter wrote:

Or at least surf once a week like me.

I don't diet at all, I just try to eat reasonable portions and stay away from food or carbs after 7:00 at night. My resting heart rate is about 55 beats per minute and blood pressure is something like 110 over 65.

Other than push-ups and a little bit of barbell work a few times a week, my only other exercise is surfing once a week and a 5-7 mile run on the weekends.

If only my lower back was as in good shape as my circulatory system. Sitting at a desk is murder.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:00 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

I found that cycling to and from work (45 min each way) really helped with the lower back when I was stuck in the office full-time.

Everybody's ultimate goal should be to figure out how to not keep doing the things that are making them hurt. Without going broke obviously :-?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:11 pm 
Major
Major

PBFMullethunter wrote:
I found that cycling to and from work (45 min each way) really helped with the lower back when I was stuck in the office full-time.

Everybody's ultimate goal should be to figure out how to not keep doing the things that are making them hurt. Without going broke obviously :-?

I am not getting on a faggy road bike.

About a year ago I started getting up and walking around the block every 1-2 hours and that has helped tremendously.

A couple guys in my office now have the "stand up desk" that they can raise and lower and they claim it has helped them too. Another guy just got stem cells harvested from his hip injected into one of his disks. It is supposed to give him another 10 years before having to consider fusing two of his vertebrae. The dude is my age and in better shape than me, but fucked up his back at a skateboard park in Hawaii a few years ago.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:21 pm 
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

I run on lunches...probably 3-4 days a week. Great way to break up the day but you need showers to pull it off. ...or never book an afternoon meeting in a small room. ...unless it's with someone you don't like. I eat alright healthy ... only thing of note is I drastically reduced the amount of refined sugars. It's amazing how quickly good health can leave you. Sucks.

belonged to someone yesterday
and will be someone else’s tomorrow

Change is the Law of The Universe

-------------------------------------------------

“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:32 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Foota wrote:
I am not getting on a faggy road bike.

Then ride your mountain bike there, like a low level drug dealer.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:40 pm 
Major
Major

tgrant wrote:
I run on lunches...probably 3-4 days a week. Great way to break up the day but you need showers to pull it off. ...or never book an afternoon meeting in a small room. ...unless it's with someone you don't like. I eat alright healthy ... only thing of note is I drastically reduced the amount of refined sugars. It's amazing how quickly good health can leave you. Sucks.

How long are your lunch runs?

I'd love to get some midweek cardio exercise, but my office location isn't great for running and we don't have showers.

Thanks to you I have really reduced my Diet Mountain Dew addiction and replaced it with Green Tea. I started doing 2 minute planks on my forearms about 6 months ago and that has helped my back a bit and keeping my waistline in check.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:29 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Foota wrote:
Other than push-ups and a little bit of barbell work a few times a week, my only other exercise is surfing once a week and a 5-7 mile run on the weekends.

LMFAO!! 5 sessions a week then ha.

Its good that you see all that as basic though, its not an event, its normal life.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:30 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

PBFMullethunter wrote:

Lifeguard season is kicking off, wanna be my padewan back in fagtown?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:33 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Foota wrote:
tgrant wrote:
I started doing 2 minute planks on my forearms about 6 months ago and that has helped my back a bit and keeping my waistline in check.

Kinda basic thing I would suggest. If it is palpably noticeable, then i'd develop it a bit, add a few bits. You're going in the right direction, go further.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:46 pm 
Major
Major

Wunderschlung wrote:
Foota wrote:
tgrant wrote:
I started doing 2 minute planks on my forearms about 6 months ago and that has helped my back a bit and keeping my waistline in check.

Kinda basic thing I would suggest. If it is palpably noticeable, then i'd develop it a bit, add a few bits. You're going in the right direction, go further.

I only have enough time to do the bare minimum to keep me in surfing shape and my beer-gut in check.

I'm relatively happy with the results right now and don't want to live my life where I have to do drastic diets or life changes counting every calorie and fit-bitting all of my physical activity.

I expect I will have to up my exercise regime as I get older and the pounds are harder to keep off.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:57 pm 
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Foota wrote:
tgrant wrote:

How long are your lunch runs?

I'd love to get some midweek cardio exercise, but my office location isn't great for running and we don't have showers.

Thanks to you I have really reduced my Diet Mountain Dew addiction and replaced it with Green Tea. I started doing 2 minute planks on my forearms about 6 months ago and that has helped my back a bit and keeping my waistline in check.

Ha! Glad to see you gave that up. Unsweetened green tea (or even mugicha which is caffeine free) is awesome. Best stuff for a hangover. Give or take I do about 5-6 km 3-4 times a week. Various speeds...anywhere from 23 to 27 minutes. I can't sit at a desk all day and need to get out for a bit. Way more productive in the afternoons after a run. Still doing the vibram shoes and loving it...the foot strength you get get is just crazy.

Generally I do about a couple 100 core exercises (various sit ups and shit) every morning. Takes about 15 minutes and can be done easy enough while I'm catching the morning news for weather and traffic and doing breakfast. Then in the evenings I'll usually do pull ups and push ups or some posture stretching shit (mix it up). Basically just try and do something every day. I mix up it up with taking kids to the pool a couple days a week...it's definitely tough to make the time. Wish I lived by the ocean. Trying to twist my wifes arm into a short trip to Okinawa this summer when we head back. I miss salt water.

Main thing I want to get into now is some form of a martial art. Figure I could do it with the kids. Man it's pricey here though. May need to cancel the family pass at the Y and give it a go though.

belonged to someone yesterday
and will be someone else’s tomorrow

Change is the Law of The Universe

-------------------------------------------------

“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:11 pm 
Major
Major

tgrant wrote:

Main thing I want to get into now is some form of a martial art. Figure I could do it with the kids. Man it's pricey here though. May need to cancel the family pass at the Y and give it a go though.

My wife just signed up the boy for a Karate camp this summer for a few weeks.

I'd rather have him in Jujitsu since every fight I have been involved in or seen ends up on the ground.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:26 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Foota wrote:
tgrant wrote:

I'd rather have him in Jujitsu since every fight I have been involved in or seen ends up on the ground.

A combination of both is good.. I did shotokan style karate, judo and aikido for years.. Really enjoyed all of them.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:35 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Foota wrote:
tgrant wrote:

If I ever got into a fight I would just point at the sky and then kick the guy in the nuts when he looks up. No training required.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:54 am 
Holyman
Holyman

Foota wrote:

Martial Arts are epically good for keeping shape, if you’re not inclined towards the repetitive, exercise-for-the-sake-of-exercise kind of stuff.

I’ve never been in as good a shape as when I was doing Martial Arts training consistently.

The self-defence aspect of Martial Arts is an ancillary benefit. Anybody trained in any Martial Art to any reasonable degree will have no problems in a fight with someone who has no training in anything.

Two people fighting where neither has any MA training will go to the ground quite quickly… And two people fighting who are both trained in any MA, will also go to the ground, if not quite so quickly.

But someone with a reasonable level of training in anything (including Western Boxing) should be able to keep on their feet when fighting someone with no training.

Jiu Jitsu is certainly the MA to aim for, since it contains the accumulated wisdom of just about every other MA… But it is quite technical, and does suit adults more than children.

Karate is ideal for kids as a first MA, because of the emphasis on self-discipline and order. All MA’s share the same basic strikes in any case, so there doesn’t need to be a great deal of thought put in to picking the right one for kids.

I always recommend Karate or Kung Fu (of any variety) for kids, because they’re broad categories in any case, and the individual will naturally gravitate towards whatever style or form of MA that most suits them as they get into it.

For adults: Jiu Jitsu is fine for complete beginners, and *GREAT* for fitness.

I really should think about getting my gi back on…

:-?

"Never trust what you believe. Trust only what you understand." - Me, 2018

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:59 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Foota wrote:
Wunderschlung wrote:
Foota wrote:

I only have enough time to do the bare minimum to keep me in surfing shape and my beer-gut in check.

I'm relatively happy with the results right now and don't want to live my life where I have to do drastic diets or life changes counting every calorie and fit-bitting all of my physical activity.

I expect I will have to up my exercise regime as I get older and the pounds are harder to keep off.

If you can get up on a surfboard then i'd say your core is in great shape, unstable surface and all that. What I was suggesting is, when you do your planks or whatever else, add a few more core exercises. So 8 mins on core rather than just a 2 min plank.

https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/the- ... -your-core

Simple bits to add in, 5 mins tops. I'm a fan of the log roll, I use it as a warm up in my classes, simple, people dig it.