It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 11:33 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 69 Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:28 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

I'm trying to think of a single *known* musician that has come out of Colorado.

Anyone? :-?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:36 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

PBFMullethunter wrote:
I'm trying to think of a single *known* musician that has come out of Colorado.

Anyone? :-?

Cleetus and the Gaylords.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:50 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

John Denver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:54 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

I'd call that 'Funky House' HM, kinda quiet and very much high-hat.

I like mine to have a bit of a stomp about it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:55 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Wunderschlung wrote:
John Denver

Didn’t he sing about West Vagina?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:20 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

Wunderschlung wrote:
I'd call that 'Funky House' HM, kinda quiet and very much high-hat.

I like mine to have a bit of a stomp about it.

Hear what you're saying.

Strictly speaking, I think to qualify for the definitive category of "Funky House", it has to have lots of 70's samples, disco melodies, and/or Superfly-style pimpiness...

However, most genres of House have "funky" tunes... That is: tunes that chicks will actually dance to.

I know from monotonous experience that Holywoman is always pressing me to play "funkier" tracks, whatever genres I'm fiddling around with (mostly Tech-, Electro-, Minimal-, Progressive- and Deep-House).

But I'm with you: I prefer tracks to have a thudding, driving bass-line, with more industrial-sounding synth-harmonies... Which are just about the only tunes that will get (straight) guys up and moving.

Not that I dance, being Ultra-straight and all that... But a good Men-Only mix is ideal for listening to whilst driving.

Something along these lines:

phpBB [video]

B-)

"To be hopeful in bad times is not just foolishly romantic. It is based on the fact that human history is a history not only of cruelty, but also of compassion, sacrifice, courage, kindness. What we choose to emphasize in this complex history will determine our lives. If we see only the worst, it destroys our capacity to do something. If we remember those times and places—and there are so many—where people have behaved magnificently, this gives us the energy to act, and at least the possibility of sending this spinning top of a world in a different direction. And if we do act, in however small a way, we don’t have to wait for some grand utopian future. The future is an infinite succession of presents, and to live now as we think human beings should live, in defiance of all that is bad around us, is itself a marvellous victory." - Howard Zinn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:35 pm 
Captain
Captain

Anthony Bourdain. 61

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/antho ... index.html

[**==] [**==] SomeGuy 2020 [**==] [**==]
[**==] [**==] It's going to be a [**==] [**==]
[**==] [**==] Brave New World [**==] [**==]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:51 pm 
Major General
Major General

Peter Stringfellow died a couple of days ago. Is he celebrity enough these days?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:53 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

Slacks wrote:
Peter Stringfellow died a couple of days ago. Is he celebrity enough these days?

A cheap, British, Hugh Hefner knock-off..?

Prolly not.

:-h

"To be hopeful in bad times is not just foolishly romantic. It is based on the fact that human history is a history not only of cruelty, but also of compassion, sacrifice, courage, kindness. What we choose to emphasize in this complex history will determine our lives. If we see only the worst, it destroys our capacity to do something. If we remember those times and places—and there are so many—where people have behaved magnificently, this gives us the energy to act, and at least the possibility of sending this spinning top of a world in a different direction. And if we do act, in however small a way, we don’t have to wait for some grand utopian future. The future is an infinite succession of presents, and to live now as we think human beings should live, in defiance of all that is bad around us, is itself a marvellous victory." - Howard Zinn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:45 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

MIDNIGHT wrote:

Fucking gutted about this as I've been a fan of his show for years. The man knew how to paint a canvas with his words and keep you interested for the entire hour. More than a little suspect that one of Trump and Weinsteins more vocal critics takes his own life like that....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:56 am 
Captain
Captain

LeadMagnet wrote:
MIDNIGHT wrote:

Fucking gutted about this as I've been a fan of his show for years. The man knew how to paint a canvas with his words and keep you interested for the entire hour. More than a little suspect that one of Trump and Weinsteins more vocal critics takes his own life like that....

I just hope this counts toward the French suicide rate and not the U.S. suicide rate

Just saying... :>_

[**==] [**==] SomeGuy 2020 [**==] [**==]
[**==] [**==] It's going to be a [**==] [**==]
[**==] [**==] Brave New World [**==] [**==]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:32 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Dirty Den karks it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44494734

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:34 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Wunderschlung wrote:

^^What a tool. Ahem.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:42 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

He was good in The Paradise Club.

I should try and track that down actually.

Can't say I paid much attention to him in Eastenders.

:-??

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:49 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Matt "Guitar" Murphy dead at 88 :(

Not a big shot in the movie business but he could sure play a mean guitar. I will miss this character:

Here's a scene of him as the cook in the well known diner scene from the Blues Brothers.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:29 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

I had a few of the Blues Brothers' live albums (potentially still do...).

Love Murphy's solos on those.

I see from Matt "Guitar" Murphy's obituary that he recorded two albums with Chuck Berry in the late 1950's.

Quite a legacy.

:(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:26 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Fox News Commentator and Pulitzer Prize Winner Charles Krauthammer has died.

He was ideologically liberal but would debate and oppose anyone otherwise in a respectful and professional manner. This had earned him a lot of respect from basically everybody.

He will be missed.

PCNC and PBF live in death!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:58 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Nancy Sinatra

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44831334

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:52 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

To me; to you....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45078831

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:13 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

Aretha Franklin, 'Queen of Soul', dies aged 76

Aretha Franklin, the "queen of soul" who became the first woman inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, has died in Detroit at the age of 76.

The legendary singer was diagnosed with cancer in 2010 and announced last year she was retiring from music.

Known for hits like Respect and Think, she had more than 20 US number ones over a career spanning seven decades.

:(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:34 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

She deserves more respect in this thread.

R.I.P to the best female singer ever.

I'll say a little prayer for her tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:07 am 
Holyman
Holyman

I'm still thinking.

:-S

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:54 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Just watched the Blues Brothers for the 100th time a few nights ago
RIP

Edit: she is one of the few artists I've had on Record 8track Cassette CD and now digital

- Donald Trump

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:17 am 
Holyman
Holyman

Htown0666 wrote:
Just watched the Blues Brothers for the 100th time a few nights ago

And Matt "Guitar" Murphy, who played Aretha Franklin's character's husband in the film, died just a couple of months ago and his entry in this thread is just a few stiffs above.

Coincidence?

No such thing!

p@:>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:57 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Kofi Annan, the former UN secretary-general who won the Nobel Peace Prize for humanitarian work, has died aged 80, international diplomats say.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-45232892

His tenure was in interesting times...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 69 Next