It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 1:43 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:39 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

It seems a lot of fucks were given about the New Zealand mosque shootings. That’s good.

Just barely in the news, however, is the catastrophic flooding in Mozambique which has killed far more people.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... ountryside

Also today, China assplosion in a chemical plant that has killed at least 44 with hundreds injured.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/death-tol ... -1.5067203
Probably not going to be a shitload of fucks on that one.

The purpose of this thread is to get everyone’s input, discuss each other’s ideas thoughtfully, and arrive at a solid conclusion as to why certain things generate so many more fucks than others.

I haven’t arrived at any conclusion myself, but I’d like to throw out the following:

1) Are people giving extra fucks about the mosque because they feel somewhat guilty themselves about the West’s recent treatment/perception of Muslims (i.e. saying rude things or thinking negative thoughts about them after a terrorist incident)? Are the extra fucks a sort of ‘compensation’ so that we can feel better about ourselves?

2) Are people giving zero fucks about Mozambique because it’s a natural disaster, or do they just generally give zero fucks about Africans?

3) Do people give zero fucks about the Chinese assplosion because it was the fault of other Chinese people, and there are so many of them there anyway that it doesn’t matter?

4) Is timing of much importance, i.e. if the events happened in reverse order, would we be giving more fucks to the Chinese, and fewer fucks to the New Zealand Muslims?

5) Are many of these fucks simply fake fucks, i.e. we don’t actually care that much about it but pretend to care because we’re supposed to and it’s really not a good career move to say we don’t?

I’m not saying that I don’t give fucks about the incidents mentioned, but I’d say my fuck distribution is relatively even across them. “Oh you lost a loved one... well, fuck.”

Your comments here:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:37 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

I think we all suffer from information overload and empathy fatigue, so our bag of fucks is low to start with, so much so that some tragedies are just funny. Definitely care less about Africa, because of the "it's a giant shithole" view of the place and wadya gunna do? South America less so but similar. China is full of midget communists who make lots of fireworks, so there is a lulz component when something blows up.

NZ was pretty bad because hey, Nazis. Plus the cunt was an Aussie, so fuck that guy.

Meh, sad animal stories probably engender more fucks in people, like dipstick Americans shooting giraffes for the hero worship or some such assholery.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:52 am 
Holyman
Holyman

Excellent topic MH. Was contemplating it myself only yesterday, listening to the (automatic, entirely expected, and therefore reeking of insincerity...) "Thoughts and Prayers" being rolled out in Parliament for the victims of the hurricane in Mozambique.

I think the main determinant for the precise quantity of fucks given is probably:

How much of God's Grace was required to prevent "I" going there.

Chances of me visiting Mozambique during a hurricane are about the same as me boarding an Ethiopian Airline plane, or living next to a chemical plant.

But it's not out of the realms of possibility that I might be in Utrecht next time a Muslamic's brain throws a shoe..!

Another factor, I guess, could be observed by the fact that, for example, NBC's "Meet the Press with Chuck Todd" hasn't run a single piece on the Boeing 737 Max' buggy software (and associated human deaths).

Because:

https://www.mobilemarketer.com/ex/mobil ... /5786.html

Just some thoughts.

:-$

"To be hopeful in bad times is not just foolishly romantic. It is based on the fact that human history is a history not only of cruelty, but also of compassion, sacrifice, courage, kindness. What we choose to emphasize in this complex history will determine our lives. If we see only the worst, it destroys our capacity to do something. If we remember those times and places—and there are so many—where people have behaved magnificently, this gives us the energy to act, and at least the possibility of sending this spinning top of a world in a different direction. And if we do act, in however small a way, we don’t have to wait for some grand utopian future. The future is an infinite succession of presents, and to live now as we think human beings should live, in defiance of all that is bad around us, is itself a marvellous victory." - Howard Zinn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:47 pm 
Captain
Captain

My rage over Trump stealing the 2016 election and Russian collusion has probably numbed me a bit to all this. It’s hard to be upset about people dying on the other side of the world from accidents or natural events when people are dying everyday in America cause Trump is in the White House.

The Christchurch attack is a bit different as the killer acted as a direct result of Trumps dog whistles. Muslamics also check high on the intersectional scale Non-white +5 points, persecuted religious minority +3 points, woman that died there +2 points. Fact that it was a direct result of Trumps racist policy’s x2 bonus.

I don’t know about the other two events as CNN has not aired that yet, it’s just been back to back speculation on what the Muller report will say.

So here’s my guess, based on what mullet has said.

China :-? Asians are too successful and now get a -2 modifier on the intersectional scale, plus capitalist activity -5.

Mozambique :-? Guess that kinda rates like Chicago, leftist mess we don’t want to air. Also black people don’t rate high unless they are they are victims of white people. (wasn’t a direct result of white cops was it?)

However, weather, that’s climate change so +15 points, it will get a solid mention when pushing the Green New Deal.

And I do care, probably more then you, and i would put it on my Facebook feed, except stupid Hoff locked my FB account and it’s impossible to unlock it. :(

[**==] [**==] SomeGuy 2020 [**==] [**==]
[**==] [**==] It's going to be a [**==] [**==]
[**==] [**==] Brave New World [**==] [**==]

Last edited by MIDNIGHT on Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:56 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Hard to give a fuck about potentially 1000+ people dying in a hurricane (cyclone as its called in the Indian basin) in Mozambique when most people have trouble finding it on a map.

Plus the place is a shithole to begin with.

PCNC and PBF live in death!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:11 pm 
Captain
Captain

SomeGuy wrote:
Hard to give a fuck about potentially 1000+ people dying in a hurricane (cyclone as its called in the Indian basin) in Mozambique when most people have trouble finding it on a map.

Look he’s using the same shithole country racist remarks he learned from Trump. Another example of Trump radicalizing marginalized white men to the alt-right.
(I’d have said straight white men, but the whole never been with a woman thing.....well.... :-? )

Just saying... :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:18 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

MIDNIGHT wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:

Look he’s using the same shithole country racist remarks he learned from Trump. Another example of Trump radicalizing marginalized white men to the alt-right.
(I’d have said straight white men, but the whole never been with a woman thing.....well.... :-? )

Spare me the taking the piss. When I first heard the reports about Cyclone Idai my first reaction literally was "Where was that again?" and I'm much better at geography than the typical Westerner.

The place is simply very obscure.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:21 pm 
Captain
Captain

SomeGuy wrote:
MIDNIGHT wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:

Spare me the taking the piss. When I first heard the reports about Cyclone Idai my first reaction literally was "Where was that again?" and I'm much better at geography than the typical Westerner.

I’m sure the people that live there don’t think it’s obscure....bigot! :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:45 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

SomeGuy wrote:
When I first heard the reports about Cyclone Idai my first reaction literally was "Where was that again?" and I'm much better at geography than the typical Westerner.

The typical USAmerican maybe.

But your lack of geographical experience means you are not in a position to judge other Westerners' awareness about one of Portugal's largest former colonies.

You're probably not even aware that Mozambique produces some of the best contemporary music in Africa.

A lack of awareness is nothing to be ashamed of.

But assuming a majority of others share it, is.

[-X

"To be hopeful in bad times is not just foolishly romantic. It is based on the fact that human history is a history not only of cruelty, but also of compassion, sacrifice, courage, kindness. What we choose to emphasize in this complex history will determine our lives. If we see only the worst, it destroys our capacity to do something. If we remember those times and places—and there are so many—where people have behaved magnificently, this gives us the energy to act, and at least the possibility of sending this spinning top of a world in a different direction. And if we do act, in however small a way, we don’t have to wait for some grand utopian future. The future is an infinite succession of presents, and to live now as we think human beings should live, in defiance of all that is bad around us, is itself a marvellous victory." - Howard Zinn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:56 pm 
Captain
Captain

Holyman wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
When I first heard the reports about Cyclone Idai my first reaction literally was "Where was that again?" and I'm much better at geography than the typical Westerner.

But your lack of geographical experience means you are not in a position to judge other Westerners' awareness about one of Portugal's largest former colonies.

You're probably not even aware that Mozambique produces some of the best contemporary music in Africa.

A lack of awareness is nothing to be ashamed of.

But assuming a majority of others share it, is.

[-X

I was unaware of the whole music part.... :(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:57 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

So far it seems like my theory (still in its infancy) has not been disproved:

Fucks are, by and large, self serving and/or agenda driven.

Of course there are many people on the front lines who actually want to help and clearly do give actual fucks, but for most people living oceans away and commenting on news stories on their iPads, the fucks are given only for the purpose of appearance and to assuage any subliminal guilty feelings they have about themselves.

Midnight nailed it with the Chinese comment. If it was some group we’d seriously fucked over in the past (like Native Americans) we would be giving far more fucks without necessarily being conscious of why.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:00 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

SomeGuy wrote:
MIDNIGHT wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:

We all come from Africa dude. You should get books.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:04 pm 
Captain
Captain

PBFMullethunter wrote:
So far it seems like my theory (still in its infancy) has not been disproved:

Fucks are, by and large, self serving and/or agenda driven.

Of course there are many people on the front lines who actually want to help and clearly do give actual fucks, but for most people living oceans away and commenting on news stories on their iPads, the fucks are given only for the purpose of appearance and to assuage any subliminal guilty feelings they have about themselves.

Midnight nailed it with the Chinese comment. If it was some group we’d seriously fucked over in the past (like Native Americans) we would be giving far more fucks without necessarily being conscious of why.

As far as agenda driven, other stories are not assault weapon gun violence caused by a white male so aren’t useful in pushing for a total gun ban and ultimately saving lives.

How did you know I was on an iPad? :-?

Midnight always nails it......just saying :>_

Last edited by MIDNIGHT on Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:11 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

PBFMullethunter wrote:
We all come from Africa dude.

Specifically the regions around Tanzania, Kenya and Lake Victoria with the Afar Depression in Ethiopia coming in second.

That's where the oldest (known) archaeological evidence of humans resides.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:13 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

SomeGuy wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:

Specifically the regions around Tanzania, Kenya and Lake Victoria with the Afar Depression in Ethiopia coming in second.

Mozambique isn’t that far off!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:15 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Holyman wrote:

From what I've seen, a lack of geographic knowledge is worldwide. It's just more visible in the US.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:16 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

PBFMullethunter wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:

It's further south though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:28 pm 
Captain
Captain

SomeGuy wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:

It's further south though.

It’s ok SomeGuy it’s not like Mozambique is all that big, and I’m sure most people that live there have no idea where Colorado is, or at least a foggy idea.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:46 pm 
Major
Major

PBFMullethunter wrote:

1) Are people giving extra fucks about the mosque because they feel somewhat guilty themselves about the West’s recent treatment/perception of Muslims (i.e. saying rude things or thinking negative thoughts about them after a terrorist incident)? Are the extra fucks a sort of ‘compensation’ so that we can feel better about ourselves?

Speaking of zero fucks given.

Check out the daily carnage from the Religion of Peace around the world. Every week there are more innocent civilians killed by radical Muslims around the world than were killed in New Zealand.

Granted most of these attacks are in the 3rd world that no one cares about. But it was only a few days ago a radical Muslim shot up a train and killed 3 people in the Netherlands.

https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:22 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

Did you know that during the entirety of the Bill Clinton Administration, the U.S. dropped a bomb on Iraq every 3 minutes?

You might also want ti factor in how much supportthe U.S. provides for Muslamic-on-Muslamic violence, not least currently in Yemen.

'Cos really, the Muslamics really aren't in the same league as USAmericans, when it comes to killing human beings.

They just aren't.

:-??

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:44 pm 
Captain
Captain

Holyman wrote:
Did you know that during the entirety of the Bill Clinton Administration, the U.S. dropped a bomb on Iraq every 3 minutes

:-??

To be fair to both Bushes and Clinton

Iraq waged a war trying to steal one of the prime spots in the region, they lost and to avoid being destroyed agreed to a number of things. One of those things was a no fly zone over their territory with the U.S. and others patrolling it with military aircraft.

The Iraqis, now safe from destruction start trying to shoot down the patrolling aircraft. Before the second gulf war I heard it described as a laboratory dedicated to how to shoot down aircraft. Everyday Iraq tried in someway to down coalition aircraft.

“American and British aircraft continuously maintained the integrity of the NFZ, receiving anti-aircraft fire from Iraqi forces almost daily.[12] The operation ran until its conclusion on 1 May 2003.“

A contributing factor to the Bush #2 war against Iraq, an inconvenient fact many wanted to forget.

Hence the reason they received much, well deserved return fire.

:>_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:50 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Potentially millions perished yesterday when I finished on my wifes back yet you don't hear anything in the press....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:24 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

LeadMagnet wrote:
Potentially millions perished yesterday when I finished on my wifes back yet you don't hear anything in the press....

This is a good one for my next debate with a religious person.

"Does each sperm contain half a soul?"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:15 am 
Colonel
Colonel

PBFMullethunter wrote:
LeadMagnet wrote:

This is a good one for my next debate with a religious person.

"Does each sperm contain half a soul?"

It's practically abortion.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:17 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

barcelona wrote:
It's practically abortion.

I pray constantly.