It seems a lot of fucks were given about the New Zealand mosque shootings. That’s good.
Just barely in the news, however, is the catastrophic flooding in Mozambique which has killed far more people.https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... ountryside
Also today, China assplosion in a chemical plant that has killed at least 44 with hundreds injured.https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/death-tol ... -1.5067203
Probably not going to be a shitload of fucks on that one.
The purpose of this thread is to get everyone’s input, discuss each other’s ideas thoughtfully, and arrive at a solid conclusion as to why certain things generate so many more fucks than others.
I haven’t arrived at any conclusion myself, but I’d like to throw out the following:
1) Are people giving extra fucks about the mosque because they feel somewhat guilty themselves about the West’s recent treatment/perception of Muslims (i.e. saying rude things or thinking negative thoughts about them after a terrorist incident)? Are the extra fucks a sort of ‘compensation’ so that we can feel better about ourselves?
2) Are people giving zero fucks about Mozambique because it’s a natural disaster, or do they just generally give zero fucks about Africans?
3) Do people give zero fucks about the Chinese assplosion because it was the fault of other Chinese people, and there are so many of them there anyway that it doesn’t matter?
4) Is timing of much importance, i.e. if the events happened in reverse order, would we be giving more fucks to the Chinese, and fewer fucks to the New Zealand Muslims?
5) Are many of these fucks simply fake fucks, i.e. we don’t actually care that much about it but pretend to care because we’re supposed to and it’s really not a good career move to say we don’t?
I’m not saying that I don’t give fucks about the incidents mentioned, but I’d say my fuck distribution is relatively even across them. “Oh you lost a loved one... well, fuck.”
Your comments here: