It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:13 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Summer Vacation
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:31 pm 
Major General
Major General

I visited a friend in Tokyo about 15 years ago. Didn't really do a lot of cultural stuff, but come the evenings we would go to bars and feel like celebrities. Japs loved talking to us. Jap chicks also wanted sex with me. That didn't happen very often in those days, so this was particularly pleasing to me.

We also went to a strip club, which was utterly horrific. We were given our own private cubicle to watch from, and kindly provided with a box of tissues. The strippers stripped behind a window and looked like they were bored as fuck. The Jap in the cubicle next to me was knocking one out at a rate of knots. Scarred for life I was.

I also committed a cultural faux pas by hopping straight into the hotel hot tub. I realised this as soon as the Japanese gentlemen hopped in *AFTER* they had spent a good 10 minutes scrubbing themselves clean with the nearby showers provided. And there's my sweaty smelly hairy western body just climbing in like it's no big deal. Glares all round.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:38 pm 
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Holyman wrote:
tgrant wrote:
The river near the in-laws is called Gojogawa. Very cool river. After tokugawa became Shogun he liked to hang out here a bit in winter. He had Gojogawa lined with 10's of thousands of cherry blossom trees because they move along it on theIr way to the ocean to head over to Tokyo in Spring. Quite the sight those trees in full bloom.

I *MUST* visit Japan...

In fact, struggling right now to think of another country I'd prioritise a visit to.

Definitely want to get to China... But Japan has the advantage of being that much more compact. Could concentrate more into a couple of weeks than I'd manage in China.

HW's keen too... Will have to see what I can organize...

:-?

Well man if you do, let me know...I've been all over and would be happy help with what I know. Time of year is key. Summer is brutally hot and humid but August is full of festivals, there are fire works and parties going like mad. That being said if you're bringing the kids it's summer vacation and fuck me you don't want to be doing anything "kidcentric" during summer vacation here...fucking thousands of screaming unsupervised kids moving like a flock of hornets everywhere. They're still in school now which is why we come for July. The 2 best times are coincidentally the most affordable, Spring for the cherry blossoms (stunning stunning stuff...you'll walk around with your jaw permanently dropped) and cherry blossom parties. Autumn for the fall leaves. Not as well known but autumn here is amazing, especially in Kyoto which is definitely where you'd want to spend a good chunk of time.

If you like the history stuff a day or 2 around Nagoya (I'll be going to the Tokugawa museum next week) ... you could maybe even get in a visit at the original toyota factory and write it off as a business trip. You can also day trip to Gifu and spend a small fortune on a real katana...actually ... not a small fortune...a large one.

I definitely have the travel bug to hit China too. My wife went to university for a bit there and speaks Mandarin ...trying to convince her to do a stop over one year and fart around for a week or so...

belonged to someone yesterday
and will be someone else’s tomorrow

Change is the Law of The Universe

-------------------------------------------------

“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:50 pm 
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Slacks wrote:
I visited a friend in Tokyo about 15 years ago. Didn't really do a lot of cultural stuff, but come the evenings we would go to bars and feel like celebrities. Japs loved talking to us. Jap chicks also wanted sex with me. That didn't happen very often in those days, so this was particularly pleasing to me.

We also went to a strip club, which was utterly horrific. We were given our own private cubicle to watch from, and kindly provided with a box of tissues. The strippers stripped behind a window and looked like they were bored as fuck. The Jap in the cubicle next to me was knocking one out at a rate of knots. Scarred for life I was.

I also committed a cultural faux pas by hopping straight into the hotel hot tub. I realised this as soon as the Japanese gentlemen hopped in *AFTER* they had spent a good 10 minutes scrubbing themselves clean with the nearby showers provided. And there's my sweaty smelly hairy western body just climbing in like it's no big deal. Glares all round.

Never had a desire to go to a strip club here. Japanese women are generally shit dancers. Plus paying to see them naked is a waste. Usually a couple drinks and a basic understanding of the language and SomeGuys virginity would be long gone.

Yeah...there are a few social rules people should be aware of before coming. Particularly with regards to shoes and feet...and bathing. Spent a couple days down in Mie last week and we hit the Onsen hard.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:33 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Fuck! It's over. 4 weeks wen't by so fast, but it was good a 4 weeks. Kids are older, they behave and they sleep till 0900!! Fucking win!
We basically lived 4 weeks outside. Just wen't to sleep to the cabin. Man I love that!

I filmed stuff and gonna make a contribution to the OP film thread... :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:34 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Also Waiting to see some of tgrants Japan photos!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:18 am 
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

BUNNY wrote:
Fuck! It's over. 4 weeks wen't by so fast, but it was good a 4 weeks. Kids are older, they behave and they sleep till 0900!! Fucking win!
We basically lived 4 weeks outside. Just wen't to sleep to the cabin. Man I love that!

I filmed stuff and gonna make a contribution to the OP film thread... :D

Sounds awesome man. We just arrived home on Friday night. It's tough thinking about work after a month off... Flights were alright but the flight from Vancouver to Toronto started rough when some knob decided to bring a nasty Thai curry on the plane. Now I love Thai curry but at 9am after a 9 hour flight...no thanks.

Got lots of rest and hung out a ton with the kids...did not use my camera much. One of the in-laws dogs is in the process of making its transition to the great beyond and no was comfortable leaving it for extended periods so a lot of travel plans were rejigged into day trips doing things I've already done with the kids several times. That combined with the 36-40 degree heat (with 80-90% humidity) meant the camera bag got left at home quite a bit and I just used the phone. We did make it out for a bit so once my brain starts working again (jet lag is rough) I'll see if I have anything worth posting.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:27 am 
Captain
Captain

@SomeGuy

You need to check this place out. It's less than 50 miles from you. This guy got more firepower in his private collection than the entire civilian population of the U.K. put together. ()}|^ Gives tours.

phpBB [video]

Also his gun store rents all types of firearms at $25 an hour on their range.

phpBB [video]

report back :-bd

[**==] [**==] SomeGuy 2020 [**==] [**==]
[**==] [**==] It's going to be a [**==] [**==]
[**==] [**==] Brave New World [**==] [**==]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:20 am 
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Just arrived back in Japan for summer vacation...fifth year we've been able to do it. Every time I think about maybe doing something different I end up thinking screw it...can't beat free room and board on the other side of the planet. Let's me stretch a budget for a couple weeks into a month. This year we'll be heading down to Okinawa for a week while we're here...I'll try and document some of that and throw up a link.

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:26 pm 
Major
Major

Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:59 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

tgrant wrote:
Just arrived back in Japan for summer vacation...fifth year we've been able to do it. Every time I think about maybe doing something different I end up thinking screw it...can't beat free room and board on the other side of the planet. Let's me stretch a budget for a couple weeks into a month. This year we'll be heading down to Okinawa for a week while we're here...I'll try and document some of that and throw up a link.

phpBB [video]

Ace editing! Thanks for that. Such cute kids you have. You did that with a goPro?

We had a taste of summer vacation last week end as we spent it on our by-the-sea-cabin having the midsummer (sun up 24h) day. Bliss. Seems also it's going to be a waspless summer <:-P
Let's see if I can make something recorded also...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:59 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Will be going to Arizona for vacation real soon. Actually, been wanting to go to San Diego but those Hotel prices, ouch.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:00 pm 
Major General
Major General

Graphic-J wrote:
Actually, been wanting to go to San Diego but those Hotel prices, ouch.

I'm sure Foota won't mind a few guests!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:10 pm 
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

We're doing airbnb in Okinawa. If you're going as a family that's the best option I reckon...once you try and stick a family in a hotel room airbnb usually kills it in the price department.

Thanks Bunny...we had a 4 hour stop over in Detroit where a good chunk was done...then jetlag took care of the rest...can't wait to see your cabin...f'ing beautiful.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:13 pm 
Major
Major

Graphic-J wrote:
Will be going to Arizona for vacation real soon. Actually, been wanting to go to San Diego but those Hotel prices, ouch.

Summer time is a bitch in terms of hotel prices. But check out the "Inn by the Sea in La Jolla".

This is where I have all my work and out of town guests stay as it is pretty reasonable and smack dab in the middle of La Jolla walking distance to the beach and restaurants.

https://www.innbytheseaatlajolla.com/?W ... T5EALw_wcB

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:22 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Why not just stay in Tijuana and walk across every day?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:23 am 
Colonel
Colonel

PBFMullethunter wrote:

Tijuana's a shithole. That's why.

PCNC and PBF live in death!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:53 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

SomeGuy wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:

Tijuana's a shithole. That's why.

Oh, that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:00 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Foota wrote:
Graphic-J wrote:

Summer time is a bitch in terms of hotel prices. But check out the "Inn by the Sea in La Jolla".

This is where I have all my work and out of town guests stay as it is pretty reasonable and smack dab in the middle of La Jolla walking distance to the beach and restaurants.

https://www.innbytheseaatlajolla.com/?W ... T5EALw_wcB

Will check it out.

Have you been to any of Newport's Beaches? Some of them are not easy to get to but they are one of the most beautiful places I've seen in the whole state of California.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:09 pm 
Major
Major

Graphic-J wrote:

Will check it out.

Have you been to any of Newport's Beaches? Some of them are not easy to get to but they are one of the most beautiful places I've seen in the whole state of California.

Yeah - they are really nice, especially South Newport through Laguna. But still too crowded for my taste. Lots of equivalent or even better beaches in San Diego County with lots less people and tourists.

If you seriously come down to San Diego, PM me and I can hook you up with all the secret spots.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:09 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Foota wrote:
Graphic-J wrote:

If you seriously come down to San Diego, PM me and I can hook you up with all the secret spots.

Will definitely do and ask the Godfather of San Diego for your recommendations when I plan to visit. :>_

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:09 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Fuck it I'm working through Summer
good money

- Boris Johnson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:46 am 
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Bit of snorkeling and Kayaking in Okinawa. Water was crazy clear. Hoping to head back here again next year. Loved it. To answer Bunny, this and the other video, was all shot with the Gopro Hero 7 Black. Bit of a glitchy fucking thing to be honest. Once I figured out the glitches though it was at least reliably glitchy. Will hopefully go to the other side of the island next time and hit a place called Manta Scramble (tons of Manta Rays). It is also a stone throw away from Yonaguni which has some pretty cool underwater monuments going on...

phpBB [video]

As a side note until this I have had an unhealthy fear of sharks (fucking Jaws). As soon as I looked down at the coral the fear disappeared <:-P...Can't wait to get back out there.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:33 pm 
Major
Major

That looks really fun. What was the water/air temperature?

I get creeped out when the water is really clear and I can see the bottom while I am surfing. You spend a lot of time just sitting on the board waiting in between set waves and your mind can play tricks on you especially if you are surfing over reefs.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:06 am 
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

The water felt really warm but after about 20-30 minutes my youngest and I were shivering pretty bad. May invest in wetsuits if we go back. Water was crazy warm by the shore though. We swam for hours by the shore and we were fine. There was tons of coral hip deep and at low tide you could go way out ... Had to watch our step cause there was so many sea cucumbers.

Air temp was pretty consistent around 28-33 degrees...80 to 90.

Loved the salt water...so much easier to swim in...i sink like a rock in lake water.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:53 pm 
Major
Major

Just got back home from a really nice 10 day visit with friends and family back in Indiana. We spent time in Indiana, Michigan and Ohio and the weather was nearly perfect except for a few hot days last weekend.

My oldest brother and his wife and 3 kids who I haven't seen in 4 years ended up moving to Ohio last week and I was able to detour down from Michigan for a visit and pick up 2 of the cousins to take them back to my Dad's place in Indiana so they could hang with my kids all week and see Grandpa and their other uncle. Fun times at water parks, neighborhood pool, bowling, kayak rides down the White River, movies and "night games" every night with the neighborhood kids playing Ghost in the Graveyard. It was great to see the cousins play together and bond.

I also got to hook up with a bunch of old school and work friends for lunches and dinners. I only get back home every 2 to 3 years, so I got to maximize all my visiting.

We got back home to California last night and I just got done surfing a phenomenal session this morning. Going to putter around doing yard work a bit and then work on a drawing I started before our trip. Finally - Sunday night pizza and beer with our neighborhood friends. Life is good....

My only gripe is all the fucking bug bites on my ankles and legs!