It is currently Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:22 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 864 posts ]  Go to page Previous 129 30 31 32 3335 Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:24 pm 
Major General
Major General

Also John Bercow, Speaker of the House keeping the rabble under control:

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:56 am 
Holyman
Holyman

He's my MP.

>&8~

"Never trust what you believe. Trust only what you understand." - Me, 2018

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:49 pm 
Major General
Major General

Holyman wrote:
He's my MP.

>&8~

And does he represent his constituents well? :-?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:40 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

My missus like his voice, she mentions it every time hes on, which is like every day.

"ORDER ORDER!!", do like his voice....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:42 pm 
Major General
Major General

PBFMullethunter wrote:
Man, you guys are obsessed!

It's a pretty big deal. For decades EU citizens (including Brits) have been able to travel freely between countries, trade, work, study etc. And the legal framework underpinning that is changing or in the event of no deal vanish. The press is chock full of stories about what may happen - delays at borders of people and trade, shortages of medicines etc. - so as time passes and it becomes more real and imminent it's really focusing the mind.

Also worth noting that once we leave the EU our only trade deal we'll have is with the EU, unless we leave without a deal. Everyone else will be on WTO terms (tariffs) as all our trade deals (including free trade deals) are through the EU. It will take us years to negotiate new ones.

Plus the governments no-deal planning is becoming quite visible and public. Plans for portable toilets to adorn the motorway to the Dover ferry crossing for lorry drivers because they won't be able to board ships as quickly as they once could. Stockpiling stuff. Calling up military reservists to help in event of no-deal.

Close to home, a couple of my friends who have lived here for decades are here on EU passports. Now our government should be unilaterally making a law to enshrine their right to continue to live and work here but it's not guaranteed, so they're twitchy. Then there's the family I know doing their annual driving holiday in France who are having to renew their passports early and get an EU driving permit or something because UK driving licenses will no longer be recognised.

Hopefully we'll get a deal or reverse the decision and avoid all this nonsense. That being said I'm not convinced the sky will fall if we leave without a deal, at least not immediately.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:08 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Quit being such a fanny Slacks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:31 pm 
Major General
Major General

Wunderschlung wrote:
Quit being such a fanny Slacks.

I can't

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:37 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Slacks wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:
Man, you guys are obsessed!

It's a pretty big deal. For decades EU citizens (including Brits) have been able to travel freely between countries, trade, work, study etc. And the legal framework underpinning that is changing or in the event of no deal vanish. The press is chock full of stories about what may happen - delays at borders of people and trade, shortages of medicines etc. - so as time passes and it becomes more real and imminent it's really focusing the mind.

Also worth noting that once we leave the EU our only trade deal we'll have is with the EU, unless we leave without a deal. Everyone else will be on WTO terms (tariffs) as all our trade deals (including free trade deals) are through the EU. It will take us years to negotiate new ones.

Plus the governments no-deal planning is becoming quite visible and public. Plans for portable toilets to adorn the motorway to the Dover ferry crossing for lorry drivers because they won't be able to board ships as quickly as they once could. Stockpiling stuff. Calling up military reservists to help in event of no-deal.

Close to home, a couple of my friends who have lived here for decades are here on EU passports. Now our government should be unilaterally making a law to enshrine their right to continue to live and work here but it's not guaranteed, so they're twitchy. Then there's the family I know doing their annual driving holiday in France who are having to renew their passports early and get an EU driving permit or something because UK driving licenses will no longer be recognised.

Hopefully we'll get a deal or reverse the decision and avoid all this nonsense. That being said I'm not convinced the sky will fall if we leave without a deal, at least not immediately.

This is why my aunt recently got her French citizenship. Flee the ship! It’s sinking!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:17 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

Slacks wrote:
Holyman wrote:
He's my MP.

And does he represent his constituents well? :-?

Apallingly.

As Speaker, he is not allowed to vote in Parliamentary divisions, unless there is a tie.

>&8~

"Never trust what you believe. Trust only what you understand." - Me, 2018

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:57 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

I find it funny that both the US and the UK are a complete laughing stock now, yet Canada is still commanding nothing but awe and reverence on the world stage.

I guess the lesson here is to never vote for some conservative dipshit just because you’re angry that the world isn’t the same place as it was when you were a child.

:-"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:59 pm 
Major General
Major General

PBFMullethunter wrote:
I find it funny that both the US and the UK are a complete laughing stock now, yet Canada is still commanding nothing but awe and reverence on the world stage.

I guess the lesson here is to never vote for some conservative dipshit just because you’re angry that the world isn’t the same place as it was when you were a child.

:-"

True story bro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:14 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Your country is run by a ski instructor that likes to play dress up and hand out money to terrorists
Also your milk comes in bags

You wish you had Trump

- Donald Trump

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:18 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Htown0666 wrote:
Your country is run by a ski instructor that likes to play dress up and hand out money to terrorists
Also your milk comes in bags

You wish you had Trump

No, we really don't. He's in an Murricun dream of his own whilst we watch with mouths agape.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:55 pm 
Major General
Major General

The Brexit story so far:

"BREXIT EXPLAINED.......simples innit?
David Cameron made a promise he didn't think he'd have to keep to have a referendum he didn't think he would lose.

Boris Johnson decided to back the side he didn't believe in because he didn't think it would win. Then Gove, who said he wouldn't run, did, and Boris who said he would run, said he wouldn't, and Theresa May who didn't vote for Brexit got the job of making it happen.

She called the election she said she wouldn't and lost the majority David Cameron hadn't expected to win in the first place.

She triggered Article 50 when we didn't need to and said we would talk about trade at the same time as the divorce deal and the EU said they wouldn't so we didn't.

People thought she wouldn't get the divorce settled but she did, but only by agreeing to separate arrangements for Northern Ireland when she had promised the DUP she wouldn't.

Then the Cabinet agreed a deal but they hadn't, and David Davis who was Brexit Secretary but wasn't said it wasn't what people had voted for and he couldn't support what he had just supported and left.

Boris Johnson who hadn't left then wished that he had and did, but it was a bit late for that. Dominic Raab become the new Brexit secretary.

People thought Theresa May wouldn't get a withdrawal agreement negotiated, but once she had they wished that she hadn't, because hardly anybody liked it whether they wanted to leave or not.

Jacob Rees-Mogg kept threatening a vote of no confidence in her but not enough people were confident enough people would not have confidence in her to confidently call a no confidence vote.

Dominic Raab said he hadn't really been Brexit Secretary either and resigned, and somebody else took the job but it probably isn't worth remembering who they are as they're not really doing the job either as Olly Robbins is.

Then she said she would call a vote and didn't, that she wouldn't release some legal advice but had to, that she would get some concessions but didn't, and got cross that Juncker was calling her nebulous when he wasn't but probably should have been.

At some point Jacob Rees Mogg and others called a vote of no confidence in her, which she won by promising to leave, so she can stay. But they said she had really lost it and should go, at the same time as saying that people who voted Leave knew what they were voting for which they couldn't possibly have because we still don't know now, and that we should leave the vote to Leave vote alone but have no confidence in the no confidence vote which won by more.

The government also argued in court against us being able to say we didn't want to leave after all but it turned out we could.

She named a date for the vote on her agreement which nobody expected to pass, while pretending that no deal which nobody wants is still possible (even though we know we can just say we are not leaving), and that we can't have a second referendum because having a democratic vote is undemocratic.

And of course as expected she loses. Some people are talking about a managed no-deal which is not a deal but is not no-deal either.

Thank goodness for strong and stable government."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:43 pm 
Major General
Major General

Car bombing in Northern Ireland today.No casualties but a reminder that the peace process is....well, a work in progress.

Can understand why Junior may be a little twitchy about the prospect of a visible border between the two Irelands exacerbating the issue.

Quote:
@Jacob_Rees_Mogg has become the latest Brexiteer to belittle concerns about the implications of Brexit for security in Northern Ireland

To help conversions on this topic be better informed, I thought I should write a timeline of terrorism (perpetrated by both sides) in NI. For brevity sake, I will only cover the period SINCE the Brexit referendum (23 June 2016). Brace yourselves. This will be a long one:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/9670 ... 50240.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:21 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Oh shit sorry
Was talking to the Canadians

- Donald Trump

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:39 am 
Major General
Major General

Htown0666 wrote:
Oh shit sorry
Was talking to the Canadians

See there's your problem.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:51 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Our milk doesn’t come in bags. Sounds like something that might happen in rural Quebec.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:37 am 
Major General
Major General

So today our Prime rib-roast Minister will be presenting Brexit 'Plan B', which will probably be a masterclass in kicking the can even further down the road to run down the clock, and force Parliament to vote for her deal, else risk living without one.

There's also one or two backbench conspiracies going on in her own party to try and regain some control of the process. May's gaming of the system isn't quite how Parliamentary democracy is supposed to work.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:25 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Just wake me up when it’s time for Brexit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:45 pm 
Major General
Major General

PBFMullethunter wrote:
Just wake me up when it’s time for Brexit.

March 29th unless it's postponed or cancelled

HTH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:49 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Guess you won’t be having a Continental Brexit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:27 pm 
Major General
Major General

PBFMullethunter wrote:
Guess you won’t be having a Continental Brexit.

Probably not seeing as trade throughout is going to drop significantly.

Quote:
Cross-Channel freight trade could drop by between 75% and 87% for six months in the event of a "no-deal" Brexit, according to a Border Force document obtained by Sky News.

The estimate comes as part of an internal assumption for no deal contingency plans.

A slide from an internal Government presentation marked "Official-Sensitive" and titled "Freight Traffic Contingency Assumptions" is a recent internal assessment much of which was omitted from public No Deal documentation.

This occurs because of matters out of the control of the UK Government - the imposition of "third country" checks on UK trade by all EU countries and France in particular.

The document assumes: "The French will apply at least the legal minimum of third country customs controls on all goods and sanitay and phytosanitary (SPS) checks on specified food and agricultural products. This includes the imposition of 100% customs documents checks."

https://news.sky.com/story/cross-channe ... s-11614002

And yes, the Frenchies really do appear to be playing this by the book:

https://www.gouvernement.fr/en/brexit

Meh. It's kinda unthinkable that a no-deal Brexit would be so disruptive, so I am assuming that something will be in place to stop such retardation.

Bloody morons

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:30 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Why bother with all this anyway? Why not just stay in the EU?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:33 pm 
Major General
Major General

PBFMullethunter wrote:
Why bother with all this anyway? Why not just stay in the EU?

Nah

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 864 posts ]  Go to page Previous 129 30 31 32 3335 Next