It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:51 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 786 posts ]  Go to page Previous 122 23 24 25 2632 Next
 Post subject: Re: Pollution
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:02 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Foota wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:
Yeah WTF? Companies sell fuel because there is a demand for fuel.

And discovery of fossil fuels is one of the single best things to ever happen to the human species. Fossil fuels have allowed us to live longer, healthier and more affluent lives.....lifting billions of people out of grinding poverty and hunger. Even if the worst were to come about predicted by the Climate Cult (i.e. rising seas losing some coastal areas and flooding in big cities) - the impact of fossil fuels will still be a net positive to humanity.

It's not an infinite source.. What happens when it runs out?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:07 pm 
Major
Major

barcelona wrote:
Foota wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:

And discovery of fossil fuels is one of the single best things to ever happen to the human species. Fossil fuels have allowed us to live longer, healthier and more affluent lives.....lifting billions of people out of grinding poverty and hunger. Even if the worst were to come about predicted by the Climate Cult (i.e. rising seas losing some coastal areas and flooding in big cities) - the impact of fossil fuels will still be a net positive to humanity.

It's not an infinite source.. What happens when it runs out?

We've been warned about "Peak Oil" for my entire life.

Yet America is finding more and more oil and gas fields every year dramatically increasing our oil/gas production.

If/when we are truly at the cusp of running out, I suspect our country will get serious about nuclear energy.........or battery tech and renewables will be much more advanced.

We have plenty of time to adjust.

No need to dramatically turn the world upside down as HM and the Climate Cult are advocating.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:29 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Foota wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:

Yeah...the combustion engine let us move away from using people and animals as slaves. It allowed all classes of society to send their children to school because they no longer needed them to work the fields.

...need to stop this ridiculous notion that it's the worst thing that happened to the planet. Without them we would never have progressed further than the child molesting Greeks. Anyone protesting the use of fossil fuels is a closet pedophile. Saying "ban fossil fuels" is the equivalent of saying "I like to have sex with young boys".

...fucks sake...AIRPLANES! How shit would this world be without them?!?!

belonged to someone yesterday
and will be someone else’s tomorrow

Change is the Law of The Universe

-------------------------------------------------

“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:05 am 
Colonel
Colonel

tgrant wrote:

THIS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:42 am 
Holyman
Holyman

We are about to find out.

;)

"“A rising share of the goods that make today’s capitalist economies grow would not sell if people dreamed other dreams than they do—which makes understanding, developing and controlling their dreams a fundamental concern of political economy in advanced-capitalist society.”" - Wolfgang Streeck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:18 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Holyman wrote:
We are about to find out.

;)

Only those of you who read fiction.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:47 pm 
Major
Major

PBFMullethunter wrote:
tgrant wrote:

THIS

And Rockets!

It is already clear that Debby-downer Holyman and the rest of the Climate Cultist scolds are upset that America is spending time and energy with space exploration when that money could be used for healthcare and sex change operations for illegal aliens.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:51 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

Your Home is on fire.

Don't really know what else to say.

:-??

"“A rising share of the goods that make today’s capitalist economies grow would not sell if people dreamed other dreams than they do—which makes understanding, developing and controlling their dreams a fundamental concern of political economy in advanced-capitalist society.”" - Wolfgang Streeck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:53 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I see frost from my living room.

It’s early this year!

Last edited by PBFMullethunter on Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:54 pm 
Major
Major

Holyman wrote:
Your Home is on fire.

Don't really know what else to say.

At least in America, the quality of our air, soil and water is cleaner now than it has been in the last 100 years.

Our carbon emissions are doing down too thanks to cleaner natural gas.

Billions of people around the world are living healthier, longer and more prosperous lives than at any time in human history.

Where is the fire?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:46 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

Reality.

:|

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:51 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Claiming that air travel will not exist at any point in our (or our childrens') lives is not reality.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:38 pm 
Major General
Major General

PBFMullethunter wrote:
Claiming that air travel will not exist at any point in our (or our childrens') lives is not reality.

Or is this just fantasy?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:41 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Slacks wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:

Or is this just fantasy?

This stops right here.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:43 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Caught in a landslide

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:45 pm 
Major General
Major General

PBFMullethunter wrote:
Slacks wrote:
PBFMullethunter wrote:

Or is this just fantasy?

This stops right here.

Right now

Right here

Right now

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:46 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

BUNNY wrote:
Caught in a landslide

nope

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:56 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

PBFMullethunter wrote:

If we're talking about the Future, we are not talking about Reality.

We can say anything we feel like saying about the Future: most people do.

But my position is logically consistent.

I understand from the information I have received that unless Humanity dramatically alters its course in the next 2-5 years (I always use whichever upper or lower bound is most likey to provoke a choleric reaction in my respondent), then the Planet will become uninhabitable for human beings in the next 30-100 years (see above).

And so either Humanity transitions in an orderly fashion to a Holistic Management System that ensures Balance and Sustainability for the foreseeable Future...

Or it transitions in a disorderly fashion to either a Mad Max-scape; or worse, some disparate collection of tree-hugging communes.

Either way: not a lot of room for people to keep flying, or consuming any form of fossil fuel where it isn't in the vital interests of Humanity as a whole to do so.

Thing is, y'all have left things a bit too late. You've been befuddled and anaesthatised by eHits of gratification, and been ignoring mounting problems, hoping they'll go away by themselves.

Or at the least, that someone else will sort it out; or more hopefully: that the whole thing will turn out to be a false alarm.

A lot of us are still doing that.

It's just a basic Life Lesson that you hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Humanity isn't doing any planning, and it is still making things worse.

No-one who wants to enjoy a shred of credibility - not even Foota; and he can make a shred of credibility last a looong time..! - disputes that the way human beings are collectively going about their lives, is harming the facility of the Planet to sustain human life.

It's just a question of people speculating about the extent of human culpability, how long we might actually have left, and what, if anything, could or should be done about it.

Which sounds just like 99.9% of meetings I've ever been in.

Meetings where dissatisfaction ran high, and Productivity disappeared.

Nobody can say for certain if this is an Existential crisis for Humanity, because nobody knows what the Future holds.

If we survive, it won't and probably never will have been; and if we don't survive, the Cassandras will turn the Deniers into fuel.

But that's speculation about possible futures.

In Reality, Humanity has been alerted to a potential disaster that will make all previous man-made and Natural disasters look like fisticuffs in the rain.

It is up to each of us as individuals to assess the credibility of that threat, and act according to our best senses and experience.

I can see how we get through this, if we really want to.

But I'm afraid to say that we won't be using aeroplanes to fly around the World; or rockets to explore Space.

Sorry.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:37 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Holyman wrote:
Humanity isn't doing any planning, and it is still making things worse.

Not sure this is exactly accurate. Least not from what I've seen. Shocked at how few non hybrids are being driven in Japan. I've seen so many closed down gas stations over there it isn't funny. Over here I'm seeing tons of full on electrics on the roads, charging stations everywhere and this is growing like crazy. Every time I expense my trips my company calculates how many take offs and how many miles so that they can offset our carbon foot print.

We are changing. Ridiculously fast. Combine that with efforts coming online and we are well on our way to seeing Humanity transition "in an orderly fashion to a Holistic Management System that ensures Balance and Sustainability for the foreseeable Future..."

The thought that we can even do that by giving up our ability to transport ourselves quickly and efficiently is ridiculous. We need to move into a balanced future with nature while still keeping the tools that let us maintain our society. Without these tools the scientist doing all of this climate research go away really quick. Proposing we shoot ourselves in the head to cure our illness is less a solution then continuing without changing.

belonged to someone yesterday
and will be someone else’s tomorrow

Change is the Law of The Universe

-------------------------------------------------

“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:20 am 
Colonel
Colonel

We’ll always have planes. Lots and lots of planes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:30 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

PBFMullethunter wrote:

With droppa...................?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:40 am 
Colonel
Colonel

tgrant wrote:

The thought that we can even do that by giving up our ability to transport ourselves quickly and efficiently is ridiculous. We need to move into a balanced future with nature while still keeping the tools that let us maintain our society. Without these tools the scientist doing all of this climate research go away really quick. Proposing we shoot ourselves in the head to cure our illness is less a solution then continuing without changing.

My thoughts exactly. Holyman is full of silly talk these days.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:51 am 
Major
Major

PBFMullethunter wrote:

And rockets, and drone taxis, and fast-ass Teslas driving in underground tubes!

It is sad seeing Holyman with such a depressing and fearful outlook for the future. We have plenty of time to transition energy and adapt as needed without turning society's clock back 50 years.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:03 am 
Captain
Captain

Good news here in California though, the governor just banned the little travel bottles of shampoo and hotel rooms. :-bd

[**==] [**==] SomeGuy 2020 [**==] [**==]
[**==] [**==] It's going to be a [**==] [**==]
[**==] [**==] Brave New World [**==] [**==]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:04 am 
Captain
Captain

Also I should add we've been having rolling blackouts here in California which should save on some CO2 :-bd

[**==] [**==] SomeGuy 2020 [**==] [**==]
[**==] [**==] It's going to be a [**==] [**==]
[**==] [**==] Brave New World [**==] [**==]

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 786 posts ]  Go to page Previous 122 23 24 25 2632 Next