All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:34 am 
Holyman
Holyman

Britons get drunk more often than 35 other nations, survey finds

Meanwhile, cocaine use among people in England tops the same global list

Sarah Marsh

Wed 15 May 2019 22.00 BST

‘In the UK we don’t tend to do moderation’, says the founder of the Global Drug Survey. ‘We might have to ... think about how to advise people to get drunk drinking less.’

Britons reported getting drunk an average of 51.1 times in a 12-month period – almost once a week – the report featuring 36 countries found.

On average, respondents said they got drunk 33 times in the last year. This number was 50 times in the US and 48 times in Canada. The rate was much lower in countries such as Chile, where they got drunk 16 times a year.

The Global Drug Survey, of more than 120,000 substance-users worldwide, also found that England has the highest rate of people having tried cocaine in the world.

In England, 74% of participants reported having used cocaine at some point in their lives, compared with 43% globally. Use of the drug in the past year among people from England who responded went up from 43% in 2018’s survey to 64% this year.

More than 70% of participants also said they would support a free-trade regulated cocaine market, with 85% of these individuals willing to pay more for the drug, on average 25% more.

Researchers based in London surveyed 5,670 people from England, 566 from Scotland and tens of thousands worldwide between 29 October and 30 December last year. The report did not provide a breakdown of the number of people surveyed in Northern Ireland and Wales.

Those behind the report believe it may be time to introduce guidelines on how to get drunk safely, which would reach binge drinkers who may view upper limits as “irrelevant”.

The study comes amid an overall downward trend of drinking levels in the UK, with abstention on the rise, particularly among young adults.
Prof Adam Winstock, the founder of the Global Drug Survey, said while more people were abstaining from alcohol, many of those who were drinking are doing so in a potentially harmful way.
He said: “We get told too much is bad, and it is, but current guidelines fail to accept the pleasure of intoxication and give little guide on the difference between being a little drunk and a lot drunk, and doing it three to four times a year versus weekly. We need to have that conversation.

“In the UK we don’t tend to do moderation, we end up getting drunk as the point of the evening.

“Until culture changes and we become more European and moderate in our drinking, we might have to bite the bullet and think about how to advise people to get drunk drinking less.”

Current NHS guidelines say there is no safe level of drinking and that men and women should not drink more than 14 units of alcohol a week on a regular basis – about six pints of beer. It is understood officials have no plans to amend advice at this stage.

English-speaking countries lead the way for how often their citizens get drunk, with the US, Canada and Australia closely following the UK at the top of the global rankings.

The report also highlighted the fact England had a high rate of cocaine use. It comes as 43% of respondents said they would like to use less cocaine next year, and 1.5% of 2018’s users sought emergency medical treatment after taking the drug, up from 1.1% in 2017.

Meanwhile, the number of hospital admissions in England for mental health disorders linked to cocaine use has almost trebled in the past decade, official figures show. NHS Digital data has shown that between 2017-18 there were 14,470 admissions where patients were experiencing mental and behavioural disorders due to use of cocaine. The number was up year on year, substantially higher than the 5,148 between 2007-08. The figures did not distinguish between powdered cocaine and crack cocaine.

The report also suggested that people would be willing to pay more for fair trade cocaine. (?!?!?)

Harry Sumnall, a lecturer in mental health at the University of York, said: “There are also still health risks associated with cocaine use … It can be a harmful drug, especially when mixed with alcohol.

“[The idea of fair trade cocaine] stems from a lot of broader discussions around culpability and the ethics of using drugs. It is impossible to use drugs like cocaine because of the nature of the international market. It is impossible to use it without having a detrimental international impact.”

James Nicholls, the chief executive of Transform Drug Policy Foundation, said: “Not only is cocaine use growing in the UK, it is also becoming purer and cheaper. Meanwhile, producers continue to suffer because they operate completely outside of the law, including employment and trade law. They can only dream of fair trade arrangements.

“Not only has prohibition failed to stem demand, as this data clearly shows, it has created a violent and exploitative market. If we are to have any chance of getting a better deal for farmers and suppliers, we must first legally regulate the market in order to get it under some level of control.”

"To be hopeful in bad times is not just foolishly romantic. It is based on the fact that human history is a history not only of cruelty, but also of compassion, sacrifice, courage, kindness. What we choose to emphasize in this complex history will determine our lives. If we see only the worst, it destroys our capacity to do something. If we remember those times and places—and there are so many—where people have behaved magnificently, this gives us the energy to act, and at least the possibility of sending this spinning top of a world in a different direction. And if we do act, in however small a way, we don’t have to wait for some grand utopian future. The future is an infinite succession of presents, and to live now as we think human beings should live, in defiance of all that is bad around us, is itself a marvellous victory." - Howard Zinn

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:36 pm 
Major
Major

Holyman wrote:

The Global Drug Survey, of more than 120,000 substance-users worldwide, also found that England has the highest rate of people having tried cocaine in the world.

I remember being shocked seeing what seemed to be high school or teen-aged kids openly doing coke at one of the clubs we were hanging out at in Liverpool last year.

I never see it out here in California.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:54 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Coke is now the drug du jure in Colorado. Meth is old hat.

But you don't see many people openly snorting it here unlike what Foota describes.

PCNC and PBF live in death!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:13 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

I thought coke was an 80's fad.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:33 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

PBFMullethunter wrote:
I thought coke was an 80's fad.

Lol...

It's got even bigger than it ever was.

I've never tried it.....never want to. I have a very addictive personality.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:21 pm 
Major General
Major General

Foota wrote:
Holyman wrote:

I remember being shocked seeing what seemed to be high school or teen-aged kids openly doing coke at one of the clubs we were hanging out at in Liverpool last year.

I never see it out here in California.

Probably because your teens are too busy high as balls on opioids and dribbling on themselves.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:05 pm 
Holyman
Holyman

Umm...

Sorry.

Usually do a few lines when we're out and about.

:">

"To be hopeful in bad times is not just foolishly romantic. It is based on the fact that human history is a history not only of cruelty, but also of compassion, sacrifice, courage, kindness. What we choose to emphasize in this complex history will determine our lives. If we see only the worst, it destroys our capacity to do something. If we remember those times and places—and there are so many—where people have behaved magnificently, this gives us the energy to act, and at least the possibility of sending this spinning top of a world in a different direction. And if we do act, in however small a way, we don’t have to wait for some grand utopian future. The future is an infinite succession of presents, and to live now as we think human beings should live, in defiance of all that is bad around us, is itself a marvellous victory." - Howard Zinn

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:11 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

So who is today’s Pablo Escobar? Who makes it and ships it to Engerlund? ‘Cuz we all know you guys don’t make anything of value yourselves.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:13 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Holyman wrote:
Umm...

Sorry.

Usually do a few lines when we're out and about.

:">

Back in the 90s I did speed a few dozen times. Fucking loved it but the come down was rough.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:49 pm 
Major General
Major General

I have about 5 cigarettes a year.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:14 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Slacks wrote:
I have about 5 cigarettes a year.

oh you fucking rebel you!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:34 pm 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

I’ve still got half a pack that I bought in 2003.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:09 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

I've done coke maybe three times, same with speed. Didn't like either much. Much preferred weed.

Coke's reasonably common here in Oz, mostly at the rich end of town. Ice is the scourge of the nation though. Nasty, nasty drug.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:30 am 
Captain
Captain

All you fuckers are degenerates

[**==] [**==] SomeGuy 2020 [**==] [**==]
[**==] [**==] It's going to be a [**==] [**==]
[**==] [**==] Brave New World [**==] [**==]

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:44 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

MIDNIGHT wrote:

Padre Midnight sounds jealous. :P

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:18 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

I feel like coke is the choice of assholes who want to become even bigger assholes.

Then there’s meth for people who want to go on a robbery spree.

Meh. Booze and occasional weed for me.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:21 am 
Captain
Captain

El Sid wrote:
MIDNIGHT wrote:

Padre Midnight sounds jealous. :P

Well I did smuggle dope from Morocco to Spain, but it was just that one time. :-?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:12 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

I once did 12 hits of acid and tripped for almost 4 days
I win

- Donald Trump

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:27 am 
Captain
Captain

Htown0666 wrote:
I win

Like I said, fucking degenerates

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:45 am 
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

MIDNIGHT wrote:
Htown0666 wrote:
I win

Like I said, fucking degenerates

On my last trip of acid (Californian Sunshine) I had the flu coming on and didn't know. We went to an afternoon screening of 2001 A Space Odyssey, which was a Thursday treat for all the dope and acid heads in Melbourne in the early 1970s. When we came out into the 100 degree heat, I totally freaked out and spent all that day and night in a living hell, before being taken to A&E with a pulse rate of 240, babbling out of my head. I was doped up on morphine till I passed out. Six months later I had flashbacks and a total nervous breakdown, which lasted for months.

I'm not sure if I win or lose...

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:01 am 
Holyman
Holyman

Y'all stopped.

I win.

B-)

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:07 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

FFS this just reminds me how much I miss true English handpulled ales......none of that carbonated crap they have here.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:23 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

LeadMagnet wrote:
FFS this just reminds me how much I miss true English handpulled ales......none of that carbonated crap they have here.

There are so many ales nowadays as it's had a huge resurgence in the past few years. Love it!